Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Good Sam Extended Service Plan

Considering purchasing an Extended Service Plan from Good Sam (Affinity Brokerage) Saw some older discussion on this forum about being able to go from active use mode to stored mode on a month to month basis with this plan. Customer service didnt appear to know what I was talking about and only suggested I raise my deductible while stored to lower my premium. Anyone know any different ? Thanks in advance to all you great folks on this forum....Ranger44
ranger44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

We don't have Good Sam Service, but we were at Camping World yesterday. They are offering a year for $56 right now. Can't go wrong at that price even for a back up plan
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjim View Post
We don't have Good Sam Service, but we were at Camping World yesterday. They are offering a year for $56 right now. Can't go wrong at that price even for a back up plan
That sounds like road service.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #4

I think you have 2 or 3 different things mixed up. The extended service contract is a constant which may not be suspended for a period then reinstated. The Good Sam (National) insurance liability portion on a MH or towable may be modified during periods of non-use To save money, and must be re-activated prior to driving the RV.
The GS Emergency Road Service is coverage for break-downs, tire change, out of fuel, etc. It is also somewhat like an insurance policy, against trouble on the road.
You may investigate all of these further on the GoodSamClub.com website.
We have our MH insured through GS because they offered the best deal. We have ERS through them because we are satisfied with their service. We have an Extended Service Contract through them because it was convenient and they are the only issuer to offer a $50 deductible policy. For example, the policy has paid-out $4,000 on our MH and our out-of-pocket was $350 total, and there is still 2 years remaining on the policy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #5

we had GoodSam's Extended Service Plan coverage on our camper for several years .... bottom line, read, read, read, read the terms of coverage .... they will cover what they say they will cover in the contract and the contract is written by them to be in their favor .... for example: their coverage of shipping for parts and shop supplies needs to be understood .... in short, they cover next to nothing .... make sure the dealer who you plan to take your camper to for repairs is OK with the plan .... most Camping Worlds honor it but many independent dealerships aren't too keen on it .... I know from first hand experience that the folks who the dealerships have to work with give independent dealers a tough time .... specific example: the last repairs we had prior to dropping our coverage they questioned the independent dealership's parts prices and told them to not buy from their regular sources, rather to search the internet for cheaper prices .... in short, while they will cover exactly what they say they will cover, they hide points not covered and try to push that the repairs be made at a Camping World facility

Jim
Old 03-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #6

Ray, can't thank you enough for the input.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

JEBar, thank you for taking the time to reply and give me info on this matter.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Not Happy with Good Sam ESP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger44 View Post
Considering purchasing an Extended Service Plan from Good Sam (Affinity Brokerage)...
Count me among those unhappy in general with Good Sam ESP for myriad reasons.

There are plans out there that don't have GS's track record of evasive maneuvering, stonewalling clients. Also, note Affinity's BBB rating.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #9

Warning: Do not buy the Good Sam Extended Service Plan. They were happy to take my $1451 per year for several years since I assumed the GOLD plan in 2010 from previous owner of my 1999 Diesel Pusher. At 50,000 miles my Gulf Steam is in good condition. For piece of mind I continued the plan. When I broke down about 1000 miles from home in Florida, I notified Good Sam Claims that I had a problem and asked them to work with the service company that has a great reputation in the community. I was a novice since I had never had a claim and requested assistance in filing the claim. My repairs seemed reasonable as they put air bags and other parts on the front air suspension that caused a red light on my chassis. My heater core was leaking and so they took care of that. After almost a month and an inspection by Good Sam all claims were denied on the grounds that not all parts removed were present. I had spent days in making sure everything was communicated between Good Sam and the servicing company. The inspector was sent out after several WEEKS and he took pictures of the repairs and broken parts. I was told by the inspector that I would receive a call the next day but I did not and after a frustrating week of trying to get more info I called the claims department and was told that all claims were being denied. Reason given was some of the defective parts were missing. They did not want to hear the parts were found and invoices of the new parts and pictures by their inspector of the new installed parts was insufficient. So a better part of month of being broken down and putting up with this kind of treatment is not worth it. Thousands spent for premiums and in return a hard time by an rude claims department denyng all claims. Not a good investment. I had never had a claim and so I must pass along my WARNING: Buyer Beware!
ronboatplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #10

Without going through all the problems I had with Good Sam. My suggestion would be for you to do a little shopping around. There are better plans available at better prices. Maybe take a look at www.wholesalewarranties.com Twice we had nothing but BS from GS, but complete satisfaction from our XtraRide policy from Wholesale Warranties. There's others out there, just do a google search to find the one that fits your needs. Oh, one other thing. GS will balk at paying for quality parts to keep their costs down. So what you'll be stuck with is inferior parts made in China. I personally went through that. The problem is that you'll never know unless you ask the repair facility where the parts were manufactured.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service