Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Good Sam Extended Warranty's

I have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U V10 and just bought a Good Sam roadside assistance membership. They also sent me info on an extended service plan. Has anybody got this or have any advice? Ideas of cost?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #2

I've had the GS roadside assistance and the extended warranty programs for years. I've used the roadside policy several times with excellent service. I have yet to file a claim on the extended warranty, but when the time comes, I feel they will do their part. As for cost, it depends on the plan type, the age and type of rv. My 06 trailer costs $504/yr with the Gold plan, which inclues the slide coverage. If you need a quote for your rv, they will send one, with no obligation.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Our experience with the Good Sam extended warranty is their claims adjusters are programmed for the automatic NO! answer. They will go to great lengths to weasel out of paying a claim. However, they do have an appeals process that seems to work.

My advice - VERY carefully read and understand what they will cover. That little booklet that describes the coverage was written by legions of corporate lawyers who do not have your best interest at heart.

Make sure to follow the claims procedure as described in the booklet to the letter. Make sure the repair facility you take your coach to understands you have an extended warranty and understands the procedures they must follow to file a claim

If you are denied coverage and you think you have a legitimate claim, be prepared to document it and send letters (I suggest using certified mail so you have a record of delivery) with your documentation and keep copies for your self.

Bottom line - good luck and be prepared for some frustrating exchanges with corporate America.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennb100 View Post

If you are denied coverage and you think you have a legitimate claim, be prepared to document it and send letters (I suggest using certified mail so you have a record of delivery) with your documentation and keep copies for your self.
After our first attempt at a quote...this is exactly what we had to deal with. We now are without a policy because trying to argue with a claims person is unsat.

It wasn't worth the headach (or money for us). After paying extra for seals protection GS denied coverage on replacing one of our leveling jacks. Keep in mind that we had a $500 deductible and their cost was around $500. We escalated to the supervisor and were told to have the repair facility tear down the jack and if an internal part caused the failure it would be covered.

I've also heard that if you do your own maintanance or don't have records prior to your purchase (if buying a used coach) any company might try to use that to get out of the claim.

We are now stashing the $1,300 a year premium into a savings account. As for roadside we have Coach Net. Good luck in your decision.

PS. I am a licensed insurance agent so I know about reading life, disability and long term care insurance contracts. I attempted to use my knowledge of the GS contract (had it in hand for every conversation) to no avail.

To me another indicator of poor customer service is I was unable to provide the company feedback. The firm that sells this for GS didn't really care what we thought about the situation. I suspect my testimony won't end up in the advertising for this product.

You are probably thinking this is a case of 'sour grapes' and I suspect it probably is to a point. It just seems wrong to have to call and argue with the company 3 times (and 3 times from the repair shop). I will now consider this another lesson in life. :-)
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Most companies that warrant appliances, cars and RVs consider the pure profit to the company. I bought a five year plan on my coach when it was new and it was a total waste of money, never again.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn. KOA Wilmington, New York
Send a message via AIM to grundon7 Send a message via Skype™ to grundon7
We have both Good Sam Plans make sure you have and save all maintainance records and reciepts. Had tranny replaced in 2000 Suncruiser Ford chassis Aamoco was great working with us and Good Sam. Also basement air conditioner unit replaced at Alpin Haus in New York they worked with us and Good Sam again good. Roadside assitance with tire blow out on I-75 in Florida on a Sunday morning again great.
grundon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had Good Sam's ESP since we started RVing about 3 years ago. A couple years ago, we had an engine computer go out. It cost about $2,200 to fix completely. We had to have a diesel mechanic come out to the house twice (once to diagnose the engine computer failure and one to replace). GS paid for only 1 - it's in the policy apparently. Anyway, it cost me about $700 ($500 deductible plus the 2nd mechanic trip).

As mentioned above, just READ THE POLICY. And document EVERYTHING!!

We're at the point where we're trying to decide if we'll extend or not. We might just put that money in a savings account like the person above. Then if we don't need it, we've got money for a down payment on a new rig in a few years.. I've read where some people just like having the peace of mind of having an extended warranty. That's OK too.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks all. The idea of putting the payment away is good but if anything major happened, I think I would be behind the 8 ball.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:26 AM   #9

Good Sam Extended Warranty

Good Sam just approved a new Injector Pump for my 300HP Cummins engine.........The engine was blowing white smoke and running rough when we returned to Florida from Virginia.....
My mechanic came out and read the computer codes, did a few tests and called Good Sam........They approved the new pump and his labor.......I will have to pay $250.00 deductible to my mechanic, but the pump alone was $1,300.00........I'll see if the mechanic will let me off the hook for the deductible since Good Sam is giving him four hours labor to install the part......

I'm satisfied with the policy for now.............I can cancel it anytime and pay a 50 dollar OPT-OUT fee...........Right now I'm ahead of the game....

John
Crystal River
Florida
johnboy545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We have used it several times, no problem, just follow the rules.
Any normal wear is usually not covered.
2000 Endeavor about $1500 a year.

LEN
Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We had the Good Sam ESP. Had the MH in for service on the fridge and they paid all but the deductible. While it was in the shop I called to see if more than one item was repaired if the deductible was still $500 since we had problems with the awning. They said just one deductible. Since the policy was in the MH that was at the repair shop I just looked up what was covered online for our plan (Gold) and sure enough it covered the electronics and motor for the awning. Well that's not how the policy read or the renewal we got. I called back and asked, they said it was $200 more for that coverage. Hmm I respond that their web site does not say that nor does my renewal.

Tough you know what is about how that went. So I filed a complaint with our state attorney general. Waiting to see how that goes. I know it boils down to what is on the policy but thought the advertising online was misleading. Bottom line is read the policy very carefully and don't trust what they say when you call or see in a brochure or online.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote