Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Send them all back in the mail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I've known people that would take all the unsolicited stuff and mail it back to companies if they also include a prepaid envelope in their mailings.
Great idea! I highly recommend all fellow forum members that feel the same way about obsessive mailings to do just as you suggested.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Based on all the activity posted since yesterday I would like to summarize the results below;
  1. 65% of the posts reflect a negative image with regards to GS or CW or both
  2. The balance of 35% who posted decent experiences, 85% of those indicated they are fed up with their mailings!
  3. It is clear from some of the positive posts that there is a need to have some standardization established on how to handle the pricing of merchandise purchased online or in store and the inclusion of shipping costs. This is a serious problem and I'm quite sure they have lost a load of business because of their varied practices.
As far as the endless stream of mailings go....They can keep them all and do themselves a favor (PR image) and save some money at the same time! This might allow them to offer a product that might rely be worth signing up for!
Bottom line...I'm done with GS and CW! I just hate to lose the hard copy of MH Magazine. I'll stick with my iPad version and skim right by all the CW ads.
Thanks for all you input! Amazon here I come with Prime!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #31

Is there something about the RV industry that makes poor customer service, weird price schemes, gouging, and general screwing of customers the norm????
I swear it seems like the last refuge for old school car salesmen, and old time car dealerships.
They pull nonsense that modern car dealerships quit doing 20 years ago.
The Rv business is the oddest thing I have ever seen.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Last year, Camping World sent me an email telling me that if I would buy a washer/dryer from them at their monthly special price, they would ship it to me freight prepaid.

I answered their request, ordered the washer/dryer, gave them my credit card #, and waited for my order to arrive. I didn't have to give them any of my address information. Because I was a Good Sam/Camping World member, they had that on file.

About a month later, I received a phone call from a young lady at Camping World.

She said, "You ordered the washer/dryer from us"
I said, "Yes, I did."
She said, "Well, we can't sell it to you."
I said, "Why not?"
She said, "Well, because you're a Canadian."
I said, " I know that, and so did you when you offered the washer/dryer to me and accepted my order. What's the problem?"
She said, "Well, we can't ship into Canada."
I said, "No problem. I'll give you my U.S.A. shipping address, and I'll drive down and pick it up, and bring it home myself."
She said, "I'm sorry. We can't ship this product to any address except your home address."
I said, "Why not? I have orders shipped to my U.S.A. address all the time."
She said, "I'm sorry. We cannot sell this product to you. A refund has been put through. I'm terribly sorry about this."
I said," If you don't want to sell your stuff to me, stop asking me to buy it."
She said, "I'm sorry you feel that way."

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:06 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This blows me away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post

She said, "You ordered the washer/dryer from us"
I said, "Yes, I did."
She said, "Well, we can't sell it to you."
I said, "Why not?"
She said, "Well, because you're a Canadian."
I said, " I know that, and so did you when you offered the washer/dryer to me and accepted my order. What's the problem?"
She said, "Well, we can't ship into Canada."
I said, "No problem. I'll give you my U.S.A. shipping address, and I'll drive down and pick it up, and bring it home myself."
She said, "I'm sorry. We can't ship this product to any address except your home address."
I said, "Why not? I have orders shipped to my U.S.A. address all the time."
She said, "I'm sorry. We cannot sell this product to you. A refund has been put through. I'm terribly sorry about this."
I said," If you don't want to sell your stuff to me, stop asking me to buy it."
She said, "I'm sorry you feel that way."

Jim
Jim you just can't make make this stuff up! Unbelievable, I can't figure out how they are still in business.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #34

I'm new to the site and have been more in a reading mode versus posting mode. However, this thread made me laugh, as I also belonged to AOPA. It is the same exact thing in the Aviation world with the airplane owners association and experimental aviation!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #35

Good morning,you r paying way to much for vents i just bought 3 vents with bug screens from amazon for about half that price.very easy to install,Good luck Bob
Old 01-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
I love looking thru the CW catalogues for new "must have" things......then I check out Amazon and its usually cheaper.....Only use CW for emergencies.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
I went to CW, right after Christmas, to buy shocks, for my Fleetwood. I told the guy, behind the service desk, that I wanted two "Koni" shocks. He said that he had never heard of Koni's. They sell Bilsteins.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
The Internet sale price that they offered was the only way they would be competitive with other sellers. By giving the sale price plus shipping there is no advantage to being a member. And by charging what they're doing now on the shipping they have shot ourselves in the foot. I personally will no longer purchase from camping world in the store!
Old 01-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #39

If anyone is receiving unwanted mail from Camping World or Good Sam, It's your fault. Their website has a check-box to tell them you do NOT want to receive advertising mail from them. Also, if you take a few minutes to phone them and request the same thing, within a few months you will no longer receive those unwanted mailings. DW has been a GS life member for 16 years now, the only mailings we receive are renewal notices and CW catalogs, as she phoned them a year after joining and requested her name be removed from the mailing list.

I'm not defending GS/CW; I've had my share of frustrations with my local CW store too. Everyone must learn how CW/GS operates before getting upset. It's their choice how their business is operated, It is your choice how you react to their business practices. Getting wildly upset, angry, or sulky, only hurts you. It does nothing to affect company policy.
I do not like their labor rates = $125/hr. at the local store + their store prices are higher than some other RV stores. When I'm confident in another RV repair center near my house I'll likely give them a chance to win my business, but until then CW is my go-to repair center.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
I went to CW, right after Christmas, to buy shocks, for my Fleetwood. I told the guy, behind the service desk, that I wanted two "Koni" shocks. He said that he had never heard of Koni's. They sell Bilsteins.
Same thing with batteries. Exide is their contracted supplier, can't by Interstate, Gould, Delco, or any other brand battery there. That may change when contract renewal time arrives. That said, when we bought our MH from CW, I specified new Interstate batteries installed before we signed. The sales dept. went to Interstate, bought 5 new ones and installed them in order to make the sale. The parts dept. would not participate in the purchase.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 01-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I've known people that would take all the unsolicited stuff and mail it back to companies if they also include a prepaid envelope in their mailings.
Revenge, eh? Like they care.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Revenge, eh? Like they care.
I do it too. No revenge, just trying to do my part to keep the USPS afloat. They say bulk mailings are the majority of their earnings, so I help from the other end.