Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I have used my GS Roadside assistance twice. The first time my pickup lost the belt tensioner 10 miles east of Van Horn Texas. I called and they had a tow truck out in a reasonable amount of time and it towed me into Van Horn. The second time I had a flat on the MH while in an RV park outside of Albuquerque NM. I called them and they were willing to tow the RV to a tire shop in Albq. since I don't have a spare. I figured that was too much of a hassle and elected to have a tire repair service come out to the park and fix it there at my expense. Keeping in mind that they were willing to fix it, I am generally happy with their service.

Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #30

I've received about 4 tows in about 8 years on two vehicles All by GS and service provided as advertised. I keep waiting for that one bad call, but so far it has worked out well. I know it can happen, and sorry to hear about this one from OP. Marc Lemmons does answer complaints on RV.net . Let him know of your problem and see if action is taken.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #31

The have towed fine about twice in the last 5 years but there road side assistance for all else falls very short
Old 10-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #32

They have never followed through with any promises
Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #33

iRV2 No Limits Club
I am a Good Sam subscriber and happy. However, I thought I would compare to Coach Net because so many like it.

Sent them a specific question via e-mail and it took them 3 days to reply. Not what I want in an "emergency" service. I expected more and got less. I'll stay with what I have.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #34

Perhaps the lessor of two evil
Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This year we took a three month trip, so I signed up for coach net. What a waste of money! I was having a problem where I was not getting power to the fuel pump. Where we were parked it was very tight and it would have been quite a project to get us out, and with the long overhang we have to be loaded on a semi once we were out of the space. When I called coach net the lady told me they would either pay for the tow, or for someone to look at it. If they sent someone out and it could not be repaired I would have to pay for the tow, and she was set on having it towed. I could see I could not get her to try a repair which would be much easier then a tow. I gave up and decided to save the tow as a last option. I made several calls and found a shop with a good reputation and when I talked to the owner he said he would send his best electrical problem finder. He did some testing, and he got it running then it was music to my ears when he said we have it running, but we still no not know what caused the problem. It took about 30 min for him to find a loose wire connector. In a situation like we were in it was very frustrating to try to deal with a company that says this is the way it is, take it or else.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
Last summer I had a tire blow on the rear dual and take out the other tire too. We were about 35 miles south of Lander, WY and no cell signal. Unhitched to toad and drove to edge of Lander to get a signal. GS found a local tire service and by the time we got back to the RV they were pulling up with two new tires. Three weeks later in Washington, another tire developed a large wart on the side and again GS had a truck with a replacement tire to us in half an hour. No complaints with Good Sam.

To Markrving, you travel without tools? A rope? My rig is only 2 years older than yours and I wouldn't think of leaving my driveway without a pretty complete set of tools, electrical wire, duct tape, etc. to repair things as they turn up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5 jeeper View Post
This year we took a three month trip, so I signed up for coach net. What a waste of money! I was having a problem where I was not getting power to the fuel pump. Where we were parked it was very tight and it would have been quite a project to get us out, and with the long overhang we have to be loaded on a semi once we were out of the space. When I called coach net the lady told me they would either pay for the tow, or for someone to look at it. If they sent someone out and it could not be repaired I would have to pay for the tow, and she was set on having it towed. I could see I could not get her to try a repair which would be much easier then a tow. I gave up and decided to save the tow as a last option. I made several calls and found a shop with a good reputation and when I talked to the owner he said he would send his best electrical problem finder. He did some testing, and he got it running then it was music to my ears when he said we have it running, but we still no not know what caused the problem. It took about 30 min for him to find a loose wire connector. In a situation like we were in it was very frustrating to try to deal with a company that says this is the way it is, take it or else.
Which plan do you have? There are three and the Limited plan really only covers emergency towing and not repairs.
Quote:
Coverage is limited to 1 tow (up to 75 miles) and 1 other event (tire assistance, battery boost, lockout, emergency fuel/fluid delivery, or winching up to $75) per year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have platinum plus, which with a name like that for a plan I assume is their top plan.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #39

good sam left me stranded in conneticut 2008. state police called a tow truck after two hrs waiting for Good Sam- would not reemburse me after I put in a claim . Had to wait two months after the claim to find out and five calls to good sam. reason because they said my truck was still under warrenty, Cancled good sam and used refund for tow.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #40

Looks like I will flip a coin.

Or send them each and email and contract with the first responder.

?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Speed of response to an innocuous email is hardly a reliable indicator of performance regarding a roadside breakdown.

I don't like to see anyone have trouble while stuck on the side of the road, but from a couple of comments here I have gotten the impression that some folks don't quite grasp that Roadside Assistance is just that-- an assistance call. They'll send someone to tow you to a repair shop, or diagnose your problem as part of your plan, but RA plans generally do NOT pay for the actual repairs of whatever breakdown occasioned your call.

FWIW, through personal experience I'm sold on CN.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #42

I recommend that if you have a problem with GS Towing that you review your policy. First if you call for assistance and they contract for a recovery vehicle and you use another service, I would not expect them to reimburse. Secondly, I do not believe they will do on-site repairs. The policy is specific about what they will do, as with any similar policy. Lastly, if you expect a large recovery vehicle to appear in 30 minutes you are destined for disappointment. I have used them several times and they always gave me an estimate of arrival time. Once the wrecker missed that time by two hours, but it was a three axle wrecker and he was delayed on the scene by his previous call. Those big rigs do not cruise waiting for a call and two hours is a reasonable wait. Two hours for a toad is too long. Read the policy!

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote