Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^^ Hey there!! Looks like you were sent around the block and then some. I have read many horror stories but it seems like somehow you got hold of all the wrong people 9/10 of the ordeal. Not to make light of the situation but the Baptist Church might have been a good layover.

I guess I have been lucky, but then when I see how it worked out in the end - well that's the company I've been lucky enough to deal with. But I am adamant - it should never have been this hard, so blundering, and frustrating.

Btw - in case it wasn't clear - I wasn't suggesting blame on your part for not knowing where to tow her. Just thinking that maybe it would have worked out. But - as you clarified, it was even worse than you described. Geesh.

The ESP is the Extended Service Plan - or what some refer to as "warranty or insurance". There are others available - Coach Net for example. My experience with the GS ESP has been excellent. Others not so. Again, I must be lucky.

Glad they were reading and listening. And the recorded line is apparently a very good thing as well.

Steve

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Used Good Sam 2 times. Both for a long tow. Both times they sent the right truck and both times I was happy with the service. Best 110.00 I spend every year..

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #73

Exclamation Good sam is worse than bad!!!!!!

Eight weeks ago today we broke down and called Good Sam RA. I also have Auto Qwners and my big mistake was not calling them. We waited over two hours for Good Sam to locate a "diagnostic roadside" which we knew could not help us, and another two hours for him to arrive. Of course he could not help us and had to tow us about 15 miles to a Ford dealer equipped to hoist our 2012 Fleetwood Storm 32BH . Paul Pratt towed us during the night and first thing in the morning the service manager from the Ford dealer called us in the motel to inform us of major damage to our one day old "new" rv. We immediately drove our 2013 Jeep Wrangler tow vehicle to the dealer to assess the damage. From the dealer, i called Good Sam to report the damage and soon received a call from Devin White, the Allstate insurance agent and was assured that everything would be taken care of. Long story short, the damage was over $3,000. The tow was 8 weeks ago today. Our RV has been parked for over two weeks 300 miles from our home at a General RV repair facility. They will not repair our rv until they receive a check. I have been told by allstate that the check was mailed, etc. At first Paul Pratt denied the damage, then admitted it (I saved emails) and says he wants to pay cash. I call Good Sam and Devin White almost everyday and am being ignored. My emails are not answered. I don't know what to do. I also bought a 5 year Good Sam $5,000 Extended Warranty. Now, i think that was my second mistake. I don't know what to do Rashad at Good Sam assures me it is being taken care of and so does Devin White at Allstate. I am exhaused. I told both that I was contacting and attorney, now neither will speak to me. I can't afford to hire and attorney, btw. I do not know what to do. Help!!! Eight weeks is way too long. I don't think i will ever be made whole.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #74

I've had similar poor experience with "Good/bad" Sam so much so, that I threatened to file a class action suit against them. Too numerous and old to mention their poor service and bad attitude regarding payments.

I stayed with my State Farm agent who got me better deals thru one of their subsidiaries. I also kept AAA for the toad. Only once did I need that service. Later we had Goodyear contract for tire services over the road. I fail to see why anyone would use Sam for anything.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #75

Gulf Streamers Club
Echomoor, there are some missing details in your story. What was the breakdown? If you knew a 'diagnostic roadside' couldn't help you, why didn't you just request a tow to a Ford dealer? How was your RV damaged by the tow truck? You were dealing with GS roadside assistance, then Allstate Insurance also got involved? Was Allstate your insurer or the tow truck operator's? What happened in the 6 weeks between the tow to the Ford dealer and the 2 weeks it's been at a "General RV repair facility?"

If Allstate, Paul Pratt, and Good Sam all have put in writing that your damage will be paid for, why don't you pay the "General RV repair facility" and get reimbursed by the various parties?

Not sure of the importance of the "2013 Jeep Wrangler" or "one day old "new" rv?"

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #76

Echomoor, this sounds familiar, did you previously post this on RV.NET?

Sounds as though Allstate is the insurance company that represents the towing company. The towing company would be financially responsible for the damage that happened during the tow. I am confused where you report that Allstate tells you that they already mailed a check (assuming to General RV), but then you say that the towing service now wants to pay cash. You mentioned "Rashad" from Good Sam apparently stepping in as your advocate in dealing with Allstate. Neither your Good Sam Roadside Assistance or your extended warranty would be responsible for covering the damage done by the towing company. I fail to see where you believe Good Sam is the villain here. Can you explain further?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:55 PM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomoor View Post
Eight weeks ago today we broke down and called Good Sam RA. I also have Auto Qwners and my big mistake was not calling them. We waited over two hours for Good Sam to locate a "diagnostic roadside" which we knew could not help us, and another two hours for him to arrive. Of course he could not help us and had to tow us about 15 miles to a Ford dealer equipped to hoist our 2012 Fleetwood Storm 32BH . Paul Pratt towed us during the night and first thing in the morning the service manager from the Ford dealer called us in the motel to inform us of major damage to our one day old "new" rv. We immediately drove our 2013 Jeep Wrangler tow vehicle to the dealer to assess the damage. From the dealer, i called Good Sam to report the damage and soon received a call from Devin White, the Allstate insurance agent and was assured that everything would be taken care of. Long story short, the damage was over $3,000. The tow was 8 weeks ago today. Our RV has been parked for over two weeks 300 miles from our home at a General RV repair facility. They will not repair our rv until they receive a check. I have been told by allstate that the check was mailed, etc. At first Paul Pratt denied the damage, then admitted it (I saved emails) and says he wants to pay cash. I call Good Sam and Devin White almost everyday and am being ignored. My emails are not answered. I don't know what to do. I also bought a 5 year Good Sam $5,000 Extended Warranty. Now, i think that was my second mistake. I don't know what to do Rashad at Good Sam assures me it is being taken care of and so does Devin White at Allstate. I am exhaused. I told both that I was contacting and attorney, now neither will speak to me. I can't afford to hire and attorney, btw. I do not know what to do. Help!!! Eight weeks is way too long. I don't think i will ever be made whole.
Something is not right here. If GS sent out a diagnostic service they would not have covered the tow, you get one or the other, but not both. If your rig is a 2012, it is still under warranty, why didn't you call Ford and have them take care of it under warranty? I would call the manufacturer who warranties it for service, why pay for the repairs yourself?
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #78

I think that in the RV owner business it is pretty easy to become a victim if you do not think your way through a problem and correctly use the resources you have at hand. It seem like there is a lot of confusion about where Roadside Assistance, Extended Service Agreements and vehicle insurance start and end.

First, never call for roadside assistance until you have a plan to get things fixed. I use that phone in my pocket to find a mechanic, garage or service center that I believe can deal with my problem and they agree to accept my RV now. Then I call Good Sam and they have never quibbled over whether there is another mechanic 1/2 mile closer. Then I give the, the POC and number of that facility. I know that someone will say that I have done their work, but when that wrecker arrives, I know how things are supposed to come down and don't feel like or act like a victim.

Last year I had a breakdown and all went well until the wrecker damaged my Dutch Star on the front and rear. I contacted Good Sam service and gave them my story along with before and after photos of the motor home and damage. Took almost a week until they got the wrecker company owner to contact me. Paid off within a couple of days. I gave him the photos. Never once contacted my insurance company. Good Sam kept in touch and assured me that if the wrecker company did not pay that they would!

This doesn't even sound like the same company that I see being beat up in earlier postings. I have used them several times for service calls and had similar experiences on them all. I had an electrical fire last fall and used their extended service plan. The service center screwed up some of the repair and it had to be repaired all over again. Good Sam would not cover the second repair, but I was able to convince the repair facility to eat the second claim. Good Sam sent me an questionnaire on how things went. I expected them to deny the second claim, as their contract does not provide much latitude for stupidity on the part of the service center.
I am slow to call for a roadside tech, as there is probably a 90% chance he can't get me running, then I am pretty much on my own. Read the contract! Also, if some shmuck does not return my call I stay on the phone until I get his boss or his bosses boss. Nobody reads their email these days, even me. Text or person to person phone calls are the answer.

Too many victims out there who get eaten by the wolves.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
X2 vraines. This whole post is very confusing to me. This type post always bring out the horror stories so I will just say I have had GS Road Side assistance and Extended warranty coverage and I am very pleased. I have had several claims and have received good service.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #80

Never less than 2 hours for a tow with "bad" SAM

Well, I had to get towed again. This time I waited 3 1/2 hours for a tow.

Thank goodness it was near my house and not on the road far away.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomoor View Post
This post makes no sense to me. Too many parties involved.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #82

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markrving View Post
Well, I had to get towed again. This time I waited 3 1/2 hours for a tow.

Thank goodness it was near my house and not on the road far away.
Again, a lot of details missing. Do you live in the Utah desert? Was the wrecker service busy on other runs? I suggest you quit what ever roadside assistance program you have and do it yourself.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181

Again, a lot of details missing. Do you live in the Utah desert? Was the wrecker service busy on other runs? I suggest you quit what ever roadside assistance program you have and do it yourself.
I have never expected Roadside Service to magically turn a roadside breakdown of a 10 to 20 Ton vehicle into a quick and easy joy ride. Perhaps that's why I'm more satisfied with my GS RSA and ESP. They are what they are, do what the do to offset a bad situation, and that may or may not be "everything under the sun and a bag of chips" but for me - I get what I pay for pretty much - and have always managed to get things worked out eventually. I suspect most do and that's why we don't see hundreds or even thousands of folks living in their RVs on the side of the road. Point of View and Rational Expectations are a big part of success in life. YMMV.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #84

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well put me down in the "good" column for GS RSA. Had my first breakdown (my RV, that is...) yesterday 12 miles from home. Service agent was pleasant and comprehensive and the tow arrived in less than 45 minutes. Took me to my regular repair shop with no charge to me.