Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #1

Question Good Sam or SkyMed Med Evac Insurance: Tell us about your experience with a claim.

Both SkyMed and Good Sam Travel Assist say that they will fly you home and take care to get your rig and traveling companions home if you are hospitalized from an accident or major illness. Both will also pay to send home deceased remains. My question is have you turned in a claim and used the services and how did that work out for you?

I know someone who Skymed flew home and they were well taken care of. Skymed did not have to take care of a rig because they did not have one on that trip to Florida.

Today I spent 5 hours on the internet searching RV.net, Irv2, and google to compare services and find stories of people who had experience using the services. I could not find one person who had a story about using Good Sam Travel Assist. People talked about buying the coverage but not about having to use it. Now surely out of the thousands of people who buy that service someone must have turned in a claim.

So if you have a story please share. Thanks
Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #2

Hope you get some replys. I'm looking at either Good Sam Travel Assist or FMCAssist for help with medical problems while traveling. Several posters have purchased the assists but no one has responded about actually using either one. Probably be one of those deals where you won't know if you did the right thing or not until you have to actually use it.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The insurance is sure cheap enough, if they do what it says they will do.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We dropped Good Sam Travel Assist this year since now Coach-Net offers a comparable service as part of their road service plan. No direct experience with either plan.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #5

Good Sam has the most restrictions but the lowest cost. Isn't it strange that no one has reported anywhere how a claim was handled? Surely thousands of people must buy that plan since it costs the least and some of them must have gotten sick or had a death.

Since most of us who travel far from home want the security of this kind of service I hope to hear from those who had to put in claims.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It's the kind of insurance that you hope you never use. Jim
Old 11-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #7

I have not seen any reports of how well people have been assisted. If you are a FMCA member. FMCAssist program seems to be the cheapest. $105 for family plan and $85 for a single person.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #8

The biggest difference and greatest value of SkyMed over other plans is that YOU decide whether you want transporting. Most, maybe all, other plans won't transport you unless the local capabilities don't exist and that is THEIR call, not yours. There are other benefits to SkyMed, but this is the big one.

PM me if you want more info on SkyMed,
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #9

My intent with this thread is to hear stories of actual experience with these plans. What happened when you had an emergency and tried to use it.

We can find comparisons/information other places please tell us how they actually assisted you in an emergency. Did you get what they promised or what you expected?

Reading what happened when an emergency occurred will help us all decide if a policy is right for our situation. Thanks so much.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #10

Still wanting to hear stories of how Good Sam Travel assist helped you.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #11

Since you're not getting replies of folks who actually used it perhaps the reason is if they had a medical emergency they're not RVing anymore so they're not on the forums.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #12

Sky Med costs in the thousands, FMCA assist comes free withe membership.
Fmca I used two times, Skyped one time. Both did what they said they would do, no hassles at all, just follow their rules.
Would not buy Skymed again, too expensive.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Included with your FMCA membership. Have never needed their services but that alone is worth the cost of membership.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #14

I think you missed the point of SkyMed. The reason SkyMed costs so much more is because it saves you a LOT more than the "assistance" plans. If an "assistance" plan takes you home it will be by commercial air when you are released from the hospital with a "fit-to-fly" release from the attending doctor. A few "assistance" plans may take you to an appropriate hospital near your home by air ambulance only if they (not you) approve it and your attending doctor says it is "medically necessary" - which is VERY rare. SkyMed guarantees to take you home by air ambulance when YOU want to go home (it is YOUR decision - nobody else's) and the attending doctor can stabilize you for flight in an air ambulance - which is very common. Personally I would want to have my triple bypass operation in my home hospital with my personal cardiologist, not at the hospital nearest to where I happened to park my RV for the night while traveling (say on the Alaska Highway somewhere in Canada or in Mexico or just about anywhere else). You get what you pay for. In the case of the "assistance" plans you MUST read the fine print - and you will find that what you pay for is much less than you expect. Some of them change from year to year (e.g. FMCA) so you need to read the fine print every year.
elorig1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance