Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

Good Sam/PFJ fuel discount program changed

Read the FAQ page of The Good Sam Club for complete details: FAQs on RV Camping Club - Information on Good Sam Club
This is an excerpt of that Good Sam Club FAQ page:
"2. Pilot Flying J has "dealer" locations, which are locations they do not own. As such, these locations can choose to "opt out" of the discount programs. Dealer locations are only required to give the discount for diesel at the truck diesel lanes and only for transactions started at the pump. Dealer locations do not offer discounts on gasoline and do not accept the cards in store. All of the approximately 100 dealer locations are denoted in the RV Travel Guide and also on the Pilot Flying J mobile app."

That is clear, no fuel discount at dealer locations unless you can pay at a truck pump.
For me, that means convenience is now the only reason to frequent PFJ, and I've been a staunch supporter of Flying J for many years. Good thing Pilot truck stops are welcoming RV's now, new stores will/do have RV lanes.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #2

I have never used Good Sam’s/Pilot Flying J discount fuel cards. I do not like to be tied into just one card for fuel savings since I will fill-up at any full service truck stop that sells a major fuel brand. But thanks for the up-date.

What I do have is a Sam's (Wal-Mart) Master card that provides a 5% rebate on fuel purchases at any fuel station except at Costco stations. You will get the 5% rebate at the end of the calendar year.

Jim W.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the information. This thread will now devolve into a predictable Pilot/FJ bashfest in 3...2...1...
Old 01-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why go through Good Sam, why not just get the P/FJ card. It works at all their stations
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Last I heard, the old Flying J RV discount card was being discontinued in 2015, and the only RV discount program left is the RV PLUS and GS Swipe & Save.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Last I heard, the old Flying J RV discount card was being discontinued in 2015, and the only RV discount program left is the RV PLUS and GS Swipe & Save.
Just re-read my own link and you're correct. And, the swipe N save"pump start" feature has disappeared for truck lanes:
Does the card offer the “start the pump” feature?
No. Unfortunately, this benefit was misused by some, so now, much like the RV and Auto lanes, payment authorization is required before fuel may be pumped.
That makes the RV plus charge card our best option now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 01-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shell has their Financial Rewards card,,, Many Grocery stores have "Fuel Points" at either Shell or their own brand of stores,, Murphy's USA gives 3 ¢ off all the time unless they are doing 10¢ to customers who go into the store and fill up a gift card, then stick the card into the pump to fill up whatever AND NO LIMIT ON GALLONS AT MURPHY's (most of the grocery programs have a 20 gallon limit)

In fact you can get up to 15 cents off at Murphys' with the proper card but... Not worth it for me.

Several other discount programs out there.. I think it is Citgo that either does, or used to offer a program like Wal*mart/Murphy

In could go into the station, Fill up a gift card (Refillable) then go out and pump at discount!!!.

Most of these offers are better than Flying-J/Pilot's discont by the way.

Right now I get 70-75 cents off at Shell depending on which card I present.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forget the rest PenFed is the BEST. Disclaimer not good at Costco. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #9

We're talking about the Pilot/Flying J changes, not other cards.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All these other stations, sometimes you can get in and out, sometimes not. Never saw a P/FJ truck lane I couldn't get in and my RVPlus has always started the pump and never had to go in to pay.

Well I did one time but that was because I had hit my $1000 limit. Manager over rode it so it would work anyway.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have the RV Plus Charge Card. I like the service of the card and FJs. BUT, FJ sells Bio fuel for the same price as competitors non BIO fuel. I opt for non bio whenever possible.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #12

Ray,

I see you said there is no pump start with the Swipe & Save in the truck lanes. Do you know if it works in the RV lanes (where available) if you follow up the Swipe & save with a credit card? Or, is that not the "payment authorization you meant?

Steve
Old 02-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #13

Interesting article in todays paper about Pilot/Flying J and their problems with the FBI. If interested you may want to google them.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Has anyone tried to use the pump start feature and it didn't work or are you just reading about it?

Tags
fuel