Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2019, 07:52 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
That is great news. However many years ago the man was at his new store in Madison WI and he offered those present a life time membership for $35. So now I am a lifer.
Great deal. We joined as Charter Lifetime Members years ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I'd be interested to hear if GS actually honored this as they don't seem to advertise it. I find many corporate military discounts are very specific on how they define a vet. Home Depot will not honor their military discount unless you have a VA issued veteran card or a current issue military ID (CAC card). I didn't retire from the Army but had 15 years in. I have no retirement card and I got rejected from the VA when I tried to get in their system so walking into Home Depot with a DD-214 is useless.

Agreed ... I signed up at Lowes. Easy process. Discount for any honorably discharged vet. They get my business and they thank me for the business.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #17

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I was just researching that and I'd given up hope of getting a Veteran's discount on a new membership. I will test this tonight on my way home, since I drive right past a Camping World!

THANKS!

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #18

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear if GS actually honored this as they don't seem to advertise it. I find many corporate military discounts are very specific on how they define a vet. Home Depot will not honor their military discount unless you have a VA issued veteran card or a current issue military ID (CAC card). I didn't retire from the Army but had 15 years in. I have no retirement card and I got rejected from the VA when I tried to get in their system so walking into Home Depot with a DD-214 is useless.
Yes, Home Depot is not inclusive of "all" veterans. It's actually active or "retired".
In California, if you have a DD-214 you can get the veteran designation on your license. It's not policy, but sometimes the cashier at HD will accept this.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #19

Quote:
I think it all depends on the Home Depot store manager. My local Home Depot does honor all military veterans, not just retirees or those with VA issued ID cards.
jackdn0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
Yes, Home Depot is not inclusive of "all" veterans. It's actually active or "retired".
In California, if you have a DD-214 you can get the veteran designation on your license. It's not policy, but sometimes the cashier at HD will accept this.

Come on up to Clovis California the Home depot here takes active or inactive military. No stipulations.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For those interested, you can get a VA issued card for all honorably discharged veterans. Go online and search for VA identification card. You will need your DD-214, and photo of your drivers license and a photo suitable for Passport. Takes about 6-8 weeks to get it but no more having to carry DD-214 or anything else. Works well for all discounts.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve70605 View Post
For those interested, you can get a VA issued card for all honorably discharged veterans. Go online and search for VA identification card. You will need your DD-214, and photo of your drivers license and a photo suitable for Passport. Takes about 6-8 weeks to get it but no more having to carry DD-214 or anything else. Works well for all discounts.
This looks promising. I'm going to try it out! Thanks!

https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

Edit: Holy Smokes this is confusing! I just finished going through their process (I chose to upload a copy of my DL) and I STILL don't know if I was successful as I'm back at the starting page! And I had no errors.

2nd Edit: Okay...it appears I'm good to go as I did get an email with "
VA.gov - Your VA.gov identity verification by ID.me is complete!". So now I guess I wait for...8 weeks?...I think that's what one of those NUMEROUS pages said. Thanks so much for posting this! I've been trying to figure this out for quite a while and wasn't getting anywhere. Man I love IRV2!! Thanks folks!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
This looks promising. I'm going to try it out! Thanks!

https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

Edit: Holy Smokes this is confusing! I just finished going through their process (I chose to upload a copy of my DL) and I STILL don't know if I was successful as I'm back at the starting page! And I had no errors.

2nd Edit: Okay...it appears I'm good to go as I did get an email with "
VA.gov - Your VA.gov identity verification by ID.me is complete!". So now I guess I wait for...8 weeks?...I think that's what one of those NUMEROUS pages said. Thanks so much for posting this! I've been trying to figure this out for quite a while and wasn't getting anywhere. Man I love IRV2!! Thanks folks!
Thanks. I'll try this.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
Thanks. I'll try this.

Yes ... the application process works. It may take far more than 8 weeks. Eventually you get an email that says "accepted". Then, you eventually get an email that says "mailed". Finally you get the card. Mine took at least 3 months.

The enrollment process at Lowes took 10 minutes and resulted in a discount linked to my phone number ... EZ Peazy. Used my DD214 at the special services desk.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post
I was just researching that and I'd given up hope of getting a Veteran's discount on a new membership. I will test this tonight on my way home, since I drive right past a Camping World!

THANKS!

Steve

Well, what happened? I am getting the impression that the OP was on acid or is active duty. There was one post about a GS active duty military link although the OP said nothing about being active duty. After 2 calls to the St. Augustine store I have been told nothing beside "we'll get back to you" which they haven't. Also I have learned they have dropped their Trip Planner. More GS BS?
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #26

GS BS Is redundant.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:26 PM   #27

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Well, what happened? I am getting the impression that the OP was on acid or is active duty. There was one post about a GS active duty military link although the OP said nothing about being active duty. After 2 calls to the St. Augustine store I have been told nothing beside "we'll get back to you" which they haven't. Also I have learned they have dropped their Trip Planner. More GS BS?
Well, the local dealer that was bought by CW is not able to sell a GS membership unless you buy a rig from them. GRRR. Now I have to drive 25 miles to the "real" CW store and try up there. Or go on line. Nope nope nope on that one.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:14 AM   #28

I never expect a military discount, nor do I have a negative feeling when one is not available. It is IMO, a recognition offered to professions where people risk their lives daily, and I express my appreciation when a discount is offered.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote