Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #1

Good Sam RV Insurance

I am trying to research insurance for our RV. Ours is currently with our auto insurance. Good Sam has a really compelling pitch, almost to good to be true. Just wondering if anyone knows or has had any experience with this company. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsutu View Post
I am trying to research insurance for our RV. Ours is currently with our auto insurance. Good Sam has a really compelling pitch, almost to good to be true. Just wondering if anyone knows or has had any experience with this company. Thanks
My TT was insured through Good Sam and now my DP is. I felt better about using a company that actually understands RV's. I am not saying others do not but the Good Sam price was compelling to me as well.

BTW! I AM a Good Sam Life Member. I originally became one due to the discounts at GS affiliated CG's. But it also came in handy when I got the DP and getting (at no cost) the GS Swipe and Save card. A fee cents off on every gallon of diesel for my 100 gallon tank certainly adds up!

With all that said, I have, so far, not had reason to file a claim but insurance is one of those things like air, you gotta have it.

Hope this helps.

HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
FYI, progressive offers a RV insurance also.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had Good Sam Insurance for a few years. They insure my motor home, My Jeep Wrangler, Jan's Suv and my Silverado pick up.
I think I filed one claim a few years back when a tree branch went through the roof of the motor home.
I haven't found any insurance to match them.

I am a lifetime Good Samer
Old 07-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

"Good Sam" isn't your insurer anyway - they just sell the policy. You will be dealing with another company, I think maybe National General.

Most major insurers offer RV-specific policies these days, so that stuff from GS warning you against non-RV insurers is just salesl hype.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Keep in mind, I believe if your Rv insurance and towed ( car/truck) insurance are not the same company and you have a accident ,while towing, damaging both vehicles you will have two claims and two deductibles to deal with.For that reason I've been told it's wiser to maintain them with the same insurer.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Most major insurers offer RV-specific policies these days, so that stuff from GS warning you against non-RV insurers is just salesl hype.
GS is Not sales hype for Full Timers. Many major insurers don't cover Full Timers.
Some only cover part time RV use. Weekends or vacations use only.
If you have the Non Full Time insurance. Check the small print in your policy that says "Use".

I have had GS Full Time Insurance for over 17 years now. Started out coverage was by GMAC now it is National General.

When I am at my winter spot for over 6 months I can drop some of the GS coverage and save some $$$
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

LOL - I think I touched a nerve with regard to GS!

Bonsutu didn't say anything about "fulltiming", so I don't know if that is even relevant. In any case, by all means buy "fulltimer" coverage if that's what is needed, but GS agency is scarcely the only place to buy it. It may be a good place, but its certainly not the only one. For one, you can buy it direct from National General, without going through GS. Progressive offers a fulltimer package, as does National Interstate, to name a couple more.

BTW, there is no universal set of insurance terms that go under the label "fulltimer", so make sure you compare coverages when shopping for a policy.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
For one, you can buy it direct from National General, without going through GS.
Why buy direct from NG if you are a GS member?
Will you still get the GS discount $$$ price for every new application and renewal?
Old 07-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

One might equally ask "Why join GS if you can buy it direct?". And what makes you so sure there is any discount on NG's regular rate when you use GS as the agent?

I hasten to add that I don't know the answer to that. I merely suggest that everyone should get competitive quotes rather believe anybody's advertising spiel. GS is a profit making business, not some guardian angle watching out for your & my best interests.

BTW, I am a GS member myself and I do buy a few services from them. I just shop and compare before buying.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Exclamation Good Sam Insurance

We had Good Sam RV insurance. It was brokered through National General Insurance. Google National General for a look at what other insured think about them.
We hit a dust storm in Texas. The true 65mph winds where anything not nailed down is flying through the air. Whatever was flying hit us. We have a class A coach that got pitted, dented and just plain abused in that storm. The wind hit so hard it partially pulled both windshields out of their gaskets.
So now we need National General to come through and take care of us.

National General will direct you to Camping World for your repairs. I know there are a lot of individuals that feel like me, buy parts there but get your repairs or service somewhere else. Anywhere else.

It took 8 months to get National General to cover the damages to our coach. Initially the adjuster had about $4500 to clean, fill and paint individual spots. The head of the Camping World body shop had confided to me he was looking at 200 - 300 hours of work and in no way would $4500 even come close to getting him to schedule our repairs.

4 times the adjuster had to come back and each time the amount went up.
In the end, the final bill was over $20,000 which National General reluctantly paid.

National General tried to low ball me, get me to take a "loss of value" amount instead of having the coach fixed and just plain lied to me with such statements as "we start at one amount knowing that during repairs we have to adjust upward." I couldn't get anyone to answer me. I went for weeks between being able to get someone on the phone. E-mail seems to be the best way to get a reply.

The repair shop we chose to repair our coach was absolutely wonderful. The finished product is beyond my expectations.

I asked the body shop what insurance companies were the best to deal with. We changed to Progressive. I have not had to use any coverage with Progressive yet but I am very happy to leave National General.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
National General will direct you to Camping World for your repairs.
Insurance laws in most states prevent insurance companies from requiring that you have repairs done at a facility of their choosing. The decision of where to go usually rests with the consumer.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I had good Sam for 3 years. Filed one claim totalling roughly $4,000.00 for a wind damaged awning. No hassles for me, repair guy thought they were being unreasonable when he had to submit digital images of the damage. They paid very quick.

I switched to GEICO a year later due to price. GEICO was 25% less than Good Sam.

I think Good Sam insurance when I dealt with them was GMAC.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #14

My advice is to shop around. One thing that drew me to Progressive was the roadside assistance rider at $24 a year that covers not only the coach but our towed as well. We've needed a tow of the coach 3 times in our 6yrs. on the road, and each time Progressive went above and beyond for us.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance