RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #1

Good Sam Travel Assist insurance?

I keep getting offers from Good Sam for their "Travel Assist", you know, the one that covers costs of medical transportation, evac, RV return, transportation home if your are incapacitated, medical monitoring & support, companion travel to your hospital, cost for a driver to return your RV home if you can't, reimbursement for lost/stolen luggage. trip planning, personal security if there's a riot etc, transporting your body home if you should die on a trip and some other stuff. Has anybody ever bought that stuff and needed to use it? Does it really do all of that for you? Looking for people who have actual experience, good or bad. I'm a skeptic.....

road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 03:38 AM   #2

Yes it does all that, IF you meet the criteria of the policy. Take a look at the travel assist of FMCA, which is included in their dues @$60/yr., and evaluate their TA, it's virtually the same as GS or other very similar policies.
GS, FMCA, or any other club does not administer the travel assist policy, when you meet the term and conditions you deal directly with the provider, and they make all the decisions along with doctors recommendations.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #3

Be aware, most don't pay unless you get pre-approval.

I can see it now, you're laying there bleeding from a a severed artery and someone has to call the 800 number and go thru the "press 1 for English" routine.
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use all the junk mail I get from Bad Sam for fire kindling.

Years ago they were advocates for us RV users.....now they are far removed from that, and don't represent our issues or support us at all. They support the corporate builders and industry now. Not a good thing.

Thank Marcus Lemonis for that.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #5

Be skeptical, be VERY skeptical.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #6

Thanks! Kinda what I thought, but it sounds good...
Old 02-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #7

One way to obtain accurate information is to Visit different forums and ask for personal experiences with travel assist programs. In addition to RV club sponsored assist programs, there are independent companies not associated with any other company, which this is their only business.

Coach-Net offers emergency Global travel assistance

Seven Corners is used by FMCA and-I think Escapees
There are many of these companies
One thing they have in common is, you must comply with the terms of the contract to obtain benefits!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 02-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have dear friends who benefitted greatly from FMCA travel assistance. He had 2 heart attacks while in the Tampa area visiting grandkids. The prognosis was dire. FMCA flew him and his wife home to Little Rock, AR on a medical Lear Jet and he went to have a heart pump installed. They also returned their Class A Moho and dogs.

I'm thrilled to tell you that my bionic friend is doing great! I will carry FMCA and their roadside assistance as long as I'm RVing. BTW the RA towed my Smart Car over 300 miles last April when it blew a front tire and ruined the rim.

There is no other coverage that matches FMCA and the price is the best. Forget Good Sam!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As Barb stated and the friend of hers is also a friend of ours.

FMCA Assist came through with flying colors. Lear jet that was medically equipped and staffed by medical personnel. MoHo returned and transportation paid for. Absolutely great service for $60 a year.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It sounds like FMCA is the one to get if we were to sign up for a Travel Assist type policy?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The FMCAssist is automatic with the annual membership dues of $60 for the first year and $50 for each year thereafter.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Be aware, most don't pay unless you get pre-approval.

I can see it now, you're laying there bleeding from a a severed artery and someone has to call the 800 number and go thru the "press 1 for English" routine.
These medical assist programs only activate AFTER the emergency services/hospital has performed their function. You or your family must contact the Assist provider directly and request their services.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #13
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It sounds like FMCA is the one to get if we were to sign up for a Travel Assist type policy?
Just to clarify - medical assistance is a benefit of the standard FMCA membership. There is no extra charge for it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:48 PM   #14

I wonder why every time I see FMCA, I want to say "Federal Motor Carrier"??

Tags
insurance, travel