Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-30-2015, 06:25 AM   #1
Good sam's ????????

Hi Everyone,

What is Your experience with Good Sam's ????????

Are they on the ball.., Or EVENTUALLY... they will get to You??

I will be pulling a 5th Wheel, Would they cover the Truck and RV ????

Can You call them for OTHER information, or just Break Downs ????

YOU GUYS are the Experts..... So I will go on Your input !!!!

Thank You......

chrisgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm guessing you are asking about their Emergency road Service.

They have 2 RV Roadside Assistance plans depending on how much service you may need.

99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you are speaking about GS's emergency service, yes? Because they have a regular membership that essentially gets you discounts at Camping World and many campgrounds, but they also sell other services. I think you are referring to their emergency service program, simalar to the automotive industries AAA. I have that through Good Sam's, but so far (knock on wood) I haven't had to use it.

I have read both good and bad about GS and any other similar service, but I still carry the coverage. We also were able to drop our AAA membership because the GS program also covers your cars (all of them), so that's a plus. I do think that if I ever need my Rv to be towed, I'll be very proactive in making sure that GS sends a QUALIFIED tow service to get my diesel pusher safely to a shop. But that would be the case if I were paying out of pocket too.

The main complaints that I have read aren't necessarily about GS's, but about the fact that some tow services don't know what they are getting into when they show up to tow a 40+ motorhome that weighs 40,000 pounds and they've sent a large pickup truck and an inexperienced operator.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #4
I have needed their help twice in the past few years. One for a tow of about 40 miles for the truck with trailer and the other for a winch job when my truck, without the trailer, was stuck in the mud. Both times they were responsive and professional and I have nothing bad to say about them or the company that responded, one in OK and the other in GA.
As with all of the road service providers it will depend on where you are when you need them and where the closest contracted company they use is.
2013 Mobile Suites 38TKSB
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #5
I was with them for several years and used them twice for same problem and they were very helpful with the whole ordeal. Nonetheless I parted company with them several years later over a billing issue and have had Coach-net ever since and been satisfied with them. Have used them several times.
If you are talking about GS extended service contract, I would suggest you look elsewhere. I understand they do not cover electrical problems - but have not personally verified that. During a problem with our previous coach earlier this year the service advisor was very happy we did not have Good Sam! It was a facility I used routinely and had a good working relationship with so I took his comments seriously enough to pass them on!
Bob & BJ
On the way to ournextstop
2013 Palazzo 33.1
bobsea43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I moved my roadside assistance insurance from 3A to Good Sam because 3A didn't provide coverage for our class A MH. I get all of my vehicles covered under GS roadside (2 autos, a pickup & the MH) for less than 3A for the autos alone. I've had to use GS twice - once with the PU and once for the MH. Both times the experience was very positive. So far so good.
J.J. Hayden (KN4SH)
Covington, GA
2005 National Dolphin 5342
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Same thoughts I've had AAA 40 years and now they won't deal with my RV.
Called bad sam twice and was hung up on twice.
Called coach net and it was worse than root canal getting information.
I'm glad I'n not on the road at the moment
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:29 AM   #8
After 2yrs. with GS I finally had a claim that they tried everything they could not to honor. They grudgingly paid the claim after many, many phone calls, and faxes. It left such a bad taste in my mouth, that as soon as I heard that they had paid the claim....I cancelled the remainder of the contract. I immediately signed with XtraRide through Wholesale Warranties and haven't had a lick of trouble with them at all.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #9
Good Sam Road Side Assistance

My experience in July was not a good one. They do not have service available in smaller towns. We were about 15 miles east of Rugby, ND when I ran over an object on the road causing a blow out.

I called Good Sam for help, they informed me they did not have service in that area. I changed the tire.

I wrote a letter to Good Sam, they called me to apologize for lack of service and extended coverage for another 6 months.

Two weeks later I spoke to a person camping at Fort Peck, Mt. they had a flat and their new car did not come with a spare. They called Good Sam for assistance and received the same information I received. No service in that area.
Chaparral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #10
Thor Owners Club
We had a tow for our car that stalled on our son. We called for a tire change on our 5er when we had a tire delaminated. It would have taken an hour and a half so I changed it in 20 minutes. My decision not to wait for a wrecker but and hour and a half wouldn't have been too bad. So no real issues with Good Sam yet.......But not filled with confidence.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #11
Been with GS for many years and I'm sure I had about 8 different times using the service. So far all requests have been filled . Blew off an oil cap on engine and discovered it at camp ground. Called them to send an oil cap with driver. They did, I paid for the cap, they paid for the driver of tow rig to get cap to me.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:45 PM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
The main complaints that I have read aren't necessarily about GS's, but about the fact that some tow services don't know what they are getting into when they show up to tow a 40+ motorhome that weighs 40,000 pounds and they've sent a large pickup truck and an inexperienced operator.
Even CoachNet is guilty of that!
Had a flat tire on the front of the MH (leaking TPMS sensor). Called CoachNet and told them I needed a truck with a long hose and a compressor. A small truck with a pressure tank and 15' of hose showed up! But between the drive and I and the onboard engine air compressor we got it aired up.
Then we had a starter go out on the '02 Dutch Star DP, CoachNet called around and found (supposedly) that the FL dealer in Portland OR could get right on it. Got there and they denied ever saying that and it'd be a week till they could even look at it. Coach Net had it on tape that FL said they could do it right away. Driver said he knew of another place and Coach Net authorized a tow there, some 20+ miles back where we came from. They had us out just past midnight that same night (on a Friday night too).
Last time I needed the Magna towed. Told them it was a 45' 50,000# rig several times. Had to wait from Sat night till Mon. morning as CN claimed no one was answering their phones. The tow driver said their phones we on all the time but that CN probably didn't want to pay the weekend callout price. Did get towed but the driver wondered where I had the gold bars stored. Said he had towed Greyhound buses that weighed less. Anyway, I won't consider anyone but CoachNet due to their good service.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #13
We r done with GS

We have been GS roadside members for 3.5 yrs. This year we used it 3 times. Our air bag went on our motorhome while camping. Called and they wouldn't haul 30 km to garage but sent a mechanic who told us our airbag was leaking. We were told to find our own part and then have to call him again and pay for call put and install. I then locked myself out of a vehicle and one tow for a motor that blew in our travel vehicle approx 15 km. We called today and we're told we have been released from road side assistance ( we have top plan) unlimited usage because the cost have been too high above average. They say they sent us a letter which we haven't received. They have our email which we receive many emails even one today. But nothing to say we were released. For 1 month we now know we had no coverage and we live in northern alberta. When I asked to cancel our general membership also was told that was non - refundable. REALLY! In Good Sams mind unlimited may be 1 usage if the cost is too high and may leave you stranded if you don't know you've been release. Looking at any other road assistance any suggestions?
GMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #14
Stranded in Alaska

Prior to 2004 I had "Good Sam" roadside for years. Did a trip to Alaska in 2004. While in Seward I had stopped at a campground to register. Returned to the coach and found that I could not build air pressure (1994 Beaver Patriot pusher). The air dryer release valve had failed in the open position.

Called "Good Sam". They denied me a tow or anything else for a fix. It was raining like crazy. I made 5 trips to the local hardware store for parts to plumb around the air dryer. Water is pretty wet when you are laying in it for a few hours trying to make the coach drivable.

I would not even remotely consider "Good Sam" again. I have used AAA since for road service. I intend to go with Coach Net this year. They are only $10 above the "Good Sam" number they "getcha" at and then I have seen them land at $119.

I can get the same stated service from Coach Net for $89-99 per year.

So, if you are tripping to Alaska............

505 KittyKat is offline   Reply With Quote