Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Unless you have a catastrophic repair extended warranties are a waste of money Self insure by banking the premiums.
Did that, cost us $22,000 for an unexpected engine repair because I didn't spend something over $8,000 for a service policy. But I agree and still don't buy them.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #16

Something else about GS extended service plans (and probably most others). They cover repairs only. They do not cover replacements. Our Generac genarator with 295 hours on it would not start. I took it to a Generac service center. They diagnosed it as a blown cylinder. No parts available for this engine from Generac. GS would not cover it because the generator needs replaced. If I could find someone to rebuild the engine it would be covered.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Unless you have a catastrophic repair extended warranties are a waste of money Self insure by banking the premiums.
That is not true in our experience. We bought a GS ESC which has paid for itself during the past 3 years, including the deductables. The most expensive single item was the backup camera system failing.

BTW, it is NOT an extended warranty, there is no such thing sold. It is an extended service contract, with terms and conditions that must be met for contract fulfillment.
The OP just found that out and is paying for his oversight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:23 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
Something else about GS extended service plans (and probably most others). They cover repairs only. They do not cover replacements. Our Generac genarator with 295 hours on it would not start. I took it to a Generac service center. They diagnosed it as a blown cylinder. No parts available for this engine from Generac. GS would not cover it because the generator needs replaced. If I could find someone to rebuild the engine it would be covered.
It depends on the part. I had jack issues (still do but different) and 3 jacks were bad. They are Kwikee jacks and to replace the seals requires the jack shell to be cut. Re-welding after cutting voids any warranty and I understand why. The heat from the welding could damage the seals again. GS replaced 3 jacks with 3 new ones.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
BTW, it is NOT an extended warranty, there is no such thing sold.
Actually there are such things as an extended warranty. Some manufacturers will sell you an extension to their factory warranty. But to be an extension of the warranty it must be sold by the original manufacturer and not an aftermarket company. They are rare but they are out there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:14 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Good Sam's Extended Service Plan- DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY !!!

GS sells 2 levels of contract. The standard covers what is listed, the other is an exclusionary contract, it cover everything except what is listed. Be sure to understand what you purchase. I have an exclusionary policy (with some other company). 5 years $5k, they just replaced he radiator, total cost over $10k, my cost ($600, my deductible plus freight for the radiator). I have gotten my money's worth!!!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #21

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
I have found that extended warranties are a waste of money!
Amen, brother, sucker bet for sure. Might as well play the lottery.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
GS sells 2 levels of contract. The standard covers what is listed, the other is an exclusionary contract, it cover everything except what is listed. Be sure to understand what you purchase. I have an exclusionary policy (with some other company). 5 years $5k, they just replaced he radiator, total cost over $10k, my cost ($600, my deductible plus freight for the radiator). I have gotten my money's worth!!!

Guess I just hit the lottery🙀 I am going to Disney!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
I have found that extended warranties are a waste of money!
X2....
Old 07-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we bought our first MH used thru camping world i took their extended warranty and tire. probably cost 7k+ over the term of the loan. Yea sounds okay at the time only $50 more a month, not so when you do the math over a 15 yr loan and 4 years of coverage.
I used CW once to hook my toad up and was dissatisfied with the quality of their work, last time i went there. I went to a local rv repair paid my$100 deductible vs CW $50. Wasn't worth traveling an extra 40 mile to CW.
The several repairs i have done were a slide mechanism and an intermittent water heater and more than ill list. It took them 6 weeks to get the water not to work and diagnose the problem.
If i had it to do over i would not do the warranty and saved a butt load of money.
now i know.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #25

Insurance companies are in business to make money. The odds are in their favor that claims will be less than premiums collected. An extended warranty/service contract is like buying auto liability insurance. You hope to never have an accident and have a claim but if you do you are covered. I don't know of anybody who would buy a car and not have liability insurance and would just bank the insurance costs in case of an accident. In fact by law you must have liability insurance on an auto. Why buy an expensive RV and not cover the risk of the costs of repair. You are spending so much money on the purchase and you are against spending pennies a day for the repair costs.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:13 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That's why I don't go for extended warranties! Too many loopholes!
Same here.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service