Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Good Sam's Extended Service Plan- DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY !!!

Third time......who is the fool......ME!!

First claim... $6500 roof replacement: denied, they don't cover roofs

Second claim.....Atwood leveleg won't retract, denied, couldn't duplicate the problem. ( in-spite of 2 road side service events)

Third claim.....Major kitchen slide problem $2400: denied....they don't cover "adjustments".

What does that tv commercial say......blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

I am just going to accrue the quarterly premium to a savings sub account.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
A lot depends on on the vendor you used to do the work they must write it up correctly to get coverage. I never had a problem with coverage but I went to professionals that knew what they were doing.

LEN
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #3

I've had to use the Good Sam Extended Service twice and they were great to work with. The second time I needed work done I had the work done at the Lippert service facility in Goshen, IN and the service manager told me that she was very surprised and pleased at how easy it was to get the OK from Good Sam.

You complain about the roof but if you looked at your coverage when you purchased the plan you would know that it is not covered. That's not Good Sam's fault if you don't know what you are buying.
2021 RAM 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans, 4:10 differential
2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 replaced by 2021 DRV
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have found that extended warranties are a waste of money!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
First claim... $6500 roof replacement: denied, they don't cover roofs
Did you try your vehicle Insurance company to cover roof if it was hail, wind, flood, tree falling through it etc.?

Quote:
Third claim.....Major kitchen slide problem $2400: denied....they don't cover "adjustments".
You should be mad at the place that ripped you off that much for a adjustment.
Not GS.

Quote:
Atwood leveleg won't retract, denied, couldn't duplicate the problem.
You can't fix what is not broken when in the shop. GS needs the fix parts list to approve.

I have never bought any of those warranty polices and am way ahead in $$$$ for doing that.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That's why I don't go for extended warranties! Too many loopholes!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We've had Good Sam EW for the past 6 years. It's paid for itself every year. And one of the posters above is correct. It really does depend on how it's written. We usually wait until we get to the service place before it's called in, tho we do tell the service place ahead of time that's who we use. We rarely have issues.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It seems you didn't read the policy coverage before you bought it, a very common mistake. The sales person probably told you a glowing tale about how it would pay for all your repairs, but that's a Big Lie. You probably heard "warranty" and thought is was bumper-to-bumper, but nothing could be further from the truth.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Roof, my fault, we bought the rig, I inspected the roof, and saw a small repaired place near the A/C. Checked it looked good. I didn't find the dry rot sub deck on the other side. I knew they didn't cover roof repairs, but for $ 6 K I had to ask.

Level legs, at least 15 times it would not retract, call GS road service two times. Learned to keep playing with the buttons for 30 minutes and they will retract. Took it to repair, worked fine that day....... No claim approval.

Kitchen slide. Major popping sound as it retracts and extends, lower right corner of trim is popped loose about 1/2". The stove top slopes about 5 degrees with a skillet with oil on it. Tooth Trac on bottom, lots of mars, scratches, wear and teeth marks from cog wheel. Right side of slide is jammed against edge, gap on left side you can but your thumb in. Newmar sending brackets and spacers. ( oh by the way three quotes to repair). Still denied just an " adjustment".

For those of you that are happy......good for you, I am happy for you. For my friends and associates, I share my experiences you decide, but for me, not another dime.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

LOL. I don't have an "extended warranty" for mine, so you know I am fundamentally in agreement. But folks have to realize that these are insurance policies that selectively cover certain things. If you have those failures, owning the insurance is wonderful. If you don't, it's just a needless expense.

As with any insurance, you are gambling that you WILL have enough claims to make it worthwhile, but the insurer KNOWS that the odds are you will NOT have a lot of valid claims and he will make money.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
A lot depends on on the vendor you used to do the work they must write it up correctly to get coverage. I never had a problem with coverage but I went to professionals that knew what they were doing.

LEN
X2

Have had GS Extended Warranty for 12 years and have never been denied a claim.
jackdn0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Unless you have a catastrophic repair extended warranties are a waste of money Self insure by banking the premiums.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have been using GS for 9 years and trust me, we have had many problems but that is a different story. Good Sam has come through on 99% of all the repairs we have had. I have the seals and gasket coverage also. Has been a good investment for us.

As stated, it all depends on how it is written up. Good service centers know what to do.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Roof, my fault, we bought the rig, I inspected the roof, and saw a small repaired place near the A/C. Checked it looked good. I didn't find the dry rot sub deck on the other side. I knew they didn't cover roof repairs, but for $ 6 K I had to ask.

Level legs, at least 15 times it would not retract, call GS road service two times. Learned to keep playing with the buttons for 30 minutes and they will retract. Took it to repair, worked fine that day....... No claim approval.

Kitchen slide. Major popping sound as it retracts and extends, lower right corner of trim is popped loose about 1/2". The stove top slopes about 5 degrees with a skillet with oil on it. Tooth Trac on bottom, lots of mars, scratches, wear and teeth marks from cog wheel. Right side of slide is jammed against edge, gap on left side you can but your thumb in. Newmar sending brackets and spacers. ( oh by the way three quotes to repair). Still denied just an " adjustment".

For those of you that are happy......good for you, I am happy for you. For my friends and associates, I share my experiences you decide, but for me, not another dime.
So you knew of the roof problem and that they wouldn't cover it but you tried to get them to cover it? Then you come here and complain about it not being covered? BTW: they don't cover preexisting conditions either.

The shop has to be able to duplicate the problem in order to diagnose it. Maybe next time is the "charm"

They don't cover normal wear and tear either so I agree with them denying the slide repair.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service