Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2016, 08:54 PM   #15

To each their own on their travel rituals. We all have them. I just wanted to share my observations with the op on Pilot Flying J. I also wanted to share that I never at any time saw 30 cent disparity in gas prices along the same route. It's obviously a rarity I've never seen. Safe travels.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #16

Being a GoodSam Life member and using the Pilot/Flying J card I get 8 cents off a gallon of Diesel and it also starts the Truck pumps without having to go inside (only use the Truck Lanes as we're almost 60' overall length).
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's AMAZING what people will do to get .03 off at a Pilot or Flying J. For the VERY reason many of you describe, I never use them. You talk about going in and getting a manager to tell the employee to swipe the card or how you spent hours trying to figure out how to get the card to work. I've read enough of these posts over the past ten years to know that even those who get the cards to work, find that they change the rules all the time.

And while you're inside fighting with the employees, others are waiting in line, another common problem at these locations. I want to fill at the pump, get my receipt at the pump and be on my way, without making others wait. Another poster stated that he doesn't want to go to some crappy little station down the street to save a few cents. Apparently, he hasn't been watching as he drives down the interstate. For the past ten years, most new stations, especially along the interstate are huge.

We travel all over the western U.S., almost 10K miles a year and the OTHER stations are regularly .08 - .15 cents less than the truck stops. So your .03 cents off is actually costing you .05 - .12 cents more. I use one card, the Pentagon Federal Credit Union card, that gives 5% off, not .05 cents, but 5% at the pump. I know there are a couple of other cards that do the same. So using something other than a truck stop will save you at least .08 - .15 cents plus another 5%. On $3.00 a gallon fuel, you'll save 23. - .30 cents a gallon.

Finding stations is easy.....you can use Gas Buddy, it even has photos of the station, you can scout out places with your toad when you go out for dinner when camping somewhere overnight, and you'll usually find several name brand stations at the same off ramps as the truck stops.

A prime example of this is Quartzsite. If you're driving west on I-10, the first station you come across is a Pilot which is always crowded, if you go to the next Quartzsite off ramp, you'll find a brand new Chevron with huge lanes that pull straight through and around the facility, back out to the road. They're ALWAYS .08 cents less.

I think most are fearful of not fitting at other stations and is why they defend these dirty, nasty truck stops so vehemently. For many new RVers there is a learning curve and getting comfortable with your RV, but soon you'll know what turns you can and cannot make. I'm 65' long and NEVER have been stuck at a smaller station or non truck stop station. Venture out of your comfort zone a little and try these other stations. You'll really enjoy not having to stand in diesel fuel and kitty litter absorbent and tracking it into your RV!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #18

I don't know....I just love the site of the big Flying J sign along the interstate. Gives me butterflies every time knowing I'll have my very own gas lane for my 38' gasser plus toad. I didn't have to research, didn't have to look at birds eye views, didn't have to add any more busy work to my stress free day. My card works every time with no assistance from anybody and I receive my .06 discount gladly. I have only an 80 gallon tank and rarely need more than 60 gallons. So if missed out on an additional .03 to .10 per gallon discount ($1.80 to $6.00), I don't care one bit. See? To each his own.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:35 AM   #19

I don't want another charge card so I guess I will just keep buying with my credit card and get those few pennies back. I agree that the stations are never the same....somehavr never heard of the program. One pilot couldn't figure out my free coffee reward......
OHpink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:16 PM   #20

My problem with the Pilot/Flying J Plus card is the fact that I can no longer pay on line and have it drafted out of my account. I have called the Customer Service number numerous times over the past eighteen months to get the problem cleared up, to get my account unlocked, and it is still locked. The .08/gallon discount is not worth headache of dealing with Pilot/Flying J. I like using truck stops to fuel but there are other options and I use them.
SafetyFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:14 AM   #21

I usually avoid Flying J, and have used Murphy. Usually the last pump on one end or the other is diesel. I have been able to get my 38 foot motor home pulling a Chevrolet Equinox to pump and exit. Only once did an attendant park where I needed exit space. Before he got 10 feet away fro his car, he looked at my rig and decided to move. I didn't need to ask.

I do have a Lifetime Good Sam card to use at Flying J to trigger the discount. I don't remember how much, but I pay with card that gives me 5% discount, not 5 cents. But to do this I have to use the pay at the pump islands, not truck lanes. So I am back to similar possible difficulties I might find at Murphys.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:47 AM   #22

For 3 years I have been using the Good Sams Membership card at Pilot/Flying J's from Florida, to Texas to Maine. 35,000 miles. I use Pilot/Flying J almosy exclusively for my GAS MH.

I swipe at the pump (never have to go inside) and get 5 cent off gas. I started patronizing them as I often used them for my overnight stops. Some places they are higher priced than other stations, but usually not if the others are close by. Yes if you want to drive a lot further ofthen into neighborhoods to find the cheaper gas.

I also check them out on my routes and occasionally use their dump stations (also have a Good Sam discount) and their CAT scales if i need to check weight (no discount where I have used it).

The ones with dump stations (like the one down the street from where I stay) sometimes have gas pumps at the dump station RV island with water, etc...making it convenient.

While true there may be better deals to be had out there, I heartily disagree with many of the posts here about discounts (if not specific to fuel), service, price disparity.........
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #23

I have found that Pilot / Flying J prices to be quite higher than T/A here in the PNW. The TSD card offers best pricing at T/A. I also have CFN and Pacific Pride fuel cards that pretty much allow me to fill up about anywhere that has cheaper diesel, in addition to standard station cards. You really have to pay attention to available stations / pricing plus what actual access is to pumps. But, with TSD card, you pretty much have to stay on an interstate or major truck route for these stations. Pros and cons to them all.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:41 AM   #24

I've found that pricing varies at Pilot/FJ/Loves/TA/etc, depending on the market.

I avoid the Pilot/FJ/Loves unless they have branded gas that is Top Tier. A friend of mine was an engine builder/tuner. He can spot immediately from the engine intake tract whether or not it was fed Top Tier or the crap gas. Huge difference pertaining to internal deposits.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Being a GoodSam Life member and using the Pilot/Flying J card I get 8 cents off a gallon of Diesel and it also starts the Truck pumps without having to go inside (only use the Truck Lanes as we're almost 60' overall length).
Me too!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote