Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #1

Good SAMs/ Pilot rewards?

I have been working all day trying to figure out how to join Pilot RV rewards program. I just left a Pilot station and the girl there says you have to use the Good Sam card. I am a Good Sam member. Has anyone used this fits discount for gas?
OHpink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This might help: Good Sam Club
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpink2 View Post
I have been working all day trying to figure out how to join Pilot RV rewards program. I just left a Pilot station and the girl there says you have to use the Good Sam card. I am a Good Sam member. Has anyone used this fits discount for gas?
It should already be on your membership card, you can also get their credit card and it automatically gives the discount

I've use my membership card for discounts several times at Pilot. Problem is the folks a pilot are pretty much clueless.

Some pilot stores you can slide the card at the pump and will give you the discount, others the clerk has to slide it at the register. I had to get a manager one time so the clerk would slide the card, she insisted that I couldn't get a discount with it. She was amazed when the manager swiped the card and the discount appeared.....Education is a wonderful thing

The big problem I've seen is Pilot fuel prices (like Loves) are way higher than other places. I use gas buddy app and check out prices in the area. I usually fill up in the mornings while traveling so I'll find a fuel stops and use google map on sat view to check access. I usually find prices a whole lot cheaper than Pilots. In Amarillo last week a truck stop two miles down the hwy was 20 cents a gallon cheaper than the pilot store. Thats a discount!!!

Bill
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #4

Thanks everyone. I should have enough info to figure this out now. You would think Pilot's site would direct you to Good Sam's and Zgoid Sams would explain it.i agree about gas price but if you are there, you might as well get a discount.
OHpink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Flying J - Pilot Good Sam Fuel Discount

Pilot or Flying J Good Sam Fuel Discount

3 cents per gallon

To get it you swipe the mag stripe on your Good Sam Membership Card at the pump or the cashier card reader when prompted.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been a Flying J member prior to Pilot. Then struggled through Pilot. Last two trips to J would not let me use card at pump. I had to run it inside. I do have a Good Sam card as I purchase at CampingWorld often. Discount hardly makes it worth it.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Apply for their RV plus charge card. 6 cents per gallon off diesel, 4 cents off gas. Swipe the card, enter pin number, pump and go.

Just keep in mind, it is a charge card, not a credit card. You have to pay it off every month.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Better yet, get the Good Sam Swipe & Save (S&S) card for a (currently) $.03 (US) /gal discount then use a SAMs card for 5% off of that up to $6000 per year. Combine that with quarterly cash back by Discover and other cards and I doubt the overwhelming majority of RVers will ever run out of 5% cash back rewards.

A 5% discount beats the GS's $.09/gal Elite Member's discount when fuel is over $1.80/gal. When was the last time you saw Diesel less than $1.80? It got close but it wasn't for long and looks like it won't happen again in the near future.

So, here are some comparisons math of GS's charge card vs GS's S&S cards along with cash back rewards using an average $2.00/gal for 1000 Gallons of fuel in a year.

The base cost for the Elite Member's charge card at $.09/gal is $2000 - $90 = $1910

The base cost for the "Regular" Member's charge card at $.06/gal is $2250 - $60 = $1940

For nothing but a 5% cash back card $2000 - $100 = $1900

With a S&S card it changes like this:

1. The base cost drops to $1.97/gal which equals $1970.
2. The 5% cash back 1000 gallons @ $1.97 saves you $98.50
3. Your final cost is $1871.50

If you get a more nominal 1.5% cash back and us the S&S card:
1. The base cost drops to $1.97/gal which equals $1970.
2. The 1.5% cash back saves you $29.55
3. Your final cost is $1940.45

Here is the kicker...unless GS's ups their discount per gallon the higher the fuel price the more you save with a cash back card.

The bottom line is don't get sucked into pennies per gallon but look at % per gallon.

One last data point...

in the last year I traveled about 6800 miles in the MH and used 1050 gallons of fuel including generator use. I averaged $2.22/gal for a total cost of about $2330. I also spent about $1,550 on gas for the car. My total fuel cost is $3,880. Sam's club puts a $6000 per year limit but I also get at least 3 months on other cards like Discover so that takes my max fuel limits up to $7,500. Even if fuel costs double (inflation and/or more miles) I'm covered and my savings are more significant.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Just one more gimmick in a long line of them that Pilot and Flying J have been trying ever since FJ went down. And as usual, they are no real savings and getting two stations in a row that actually knows how the current program works is a joke. Add that to the prices charged, 20-30 cents a gallon higher than the standard stations down the road, and even higher than the cut rate stations like the Murphy's, and anyone who actually buys there is getting hosed, and I don't mean fuel hose. It seems to me all the affiliations and discount plans are just a way to thoroughly confuse the RV customer so he doesn't realize what his actual cost really is. Credit card companies give cash back discounts without you having to shop at a particular place, and "at the pump discounts" are only worthwhile when they mean something and can be counted on. Giving a 2, 3, or even 8 cent a gal discount when fuel down the street is 20 cents or more cheaper is only good for the gullible. Shop where you want, but until these jokers get real you won't find me buying fuel there. We run 20,000 to 30,000 miles a year and this is real money we save using Gas Buddy.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Just one more gimmick in a long line of them that Pilot and Flying J have been trying ever since FJ went down. And as usual, they are no real savings and getting two stations in a row that actually knows how the current program works is a joke. Add that to the prices charged, 20-30 cents a gallon higher than the standard stations down the road, and even higher than the cut rate stations like the Murphy's, and anyone who actually buys there is getting hosed, and I don't mean fuel hose. It seems to me all the affiliations and discount plans are just a way to thoroughly confuse the RV customer so he doesn't realize what his actual cost really is. Credit card companies give cash back discounts without you having to shop at a particular place, and "at the pump discounts" are only worthwhile when they mean something and can be counted on. Giving a 2, 3, or even 8 cent a gal discount when fuel down the street is 20 cents or more cheaper is only good for the gullible. Shop where you want, but until these jokers get real you won't find me buying fuel there. We run 20,000 to 30,000 miles a year and this is real money we save using Gas Buddy.

Pigman, 20-30 per gallon is not at all what I've seen across the country. I've been using the pilot card for several years now and am very pleased. Down the east coast, down I-65, across I-80, I-40, no where have I seen the disparity you describe. Pilot prices are no higher than the Loves and TA down the street! The convenience for a long gasser having the RV island is great. For others considering the Flying J card option, I view your input as a complete misrepresentation. Sorry.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Pigman, 20-30 per gallon is not at all what I've seen across the country. I've been using the pilot card for several years now and am very pleased. Down the east coast, down I-65, across I-80, I-40, no where have I seen the disparity you describe. Pilot prices are no higher than the Loves and TA down the street! The convenience for a long gasser having the RV island is great. For others considering the Flying J card option, I view your input as a complete misrepresentation. Sorry.
I didn't start this one, but check out a very recent thread in this forum: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/murp...el-292357.html
Sure looks like 34 cents to me and this is what I've seen all across the US. And for sure don't compare it to Loves, TA or other big truck stops. They're all in the same boat, as far as price, but I'm not familiar with their "discount" programs for RV'ers. Granted, in some cases (very few) you will only see 15 cents over prevailing, but this is a rare occurrence. Most is a lot more. FJ Pilot, Loves and TA all show up on Gas Buddy as well as local stations. Use it and see how prices are way out of line at these big truck stops. In some instances, I've seen that these truck stops drive prices up in their immediate area and you may have to go a few miles down the road to get a reasonable price, but it's there. I ALWAYS check all prices and buy on price. It has been years since I've bought at FJ or Pilot, or another big truck stop. Complete misrepresentation???? Not a chance!
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I didn't start this one, but check out a very recent thread in this forum: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/murp...el-292357.html
Sure looks like 34 cents to me and this is what I've seen all across the US. And for sure don't compare it to Loves, TA or other big truck stops. They're all in the same boat, as far as price, but I'm not familiar with their "discount" programs for RV'ers. Granted, in some cases (very few) you will only see 15 cents over prevailing, but this is a rare occurrence. Most is a lot more. FJ Pilot, Loves and TA all show up on Gas Buddy as well as local stations. Use it and see how prices are way out of line at these big truck stops. In some instances, I've seen that these truck stops drive prices up in their immediate area and you may have to go a few miles down the road to get a reasonable price, but it's there. I ALWAYS check all prices and buy on price. It has been years since I've bought at FJ or Pilot, or another big truck stop. Complete misrepresentation???? Not a chance!

Fair enough Pigman.. I don't use gas buddy. I have way too many other things I'm paying attention to. In the early days of my RVing, I got burned trying to find the little stations only to wait in line or find no room for my MH and toad. I plan my day around where the Flying J is, as do many others I've talked with on the road. No stress is worth a lot more to me than chasing a gas application around every day. No thanks..Again, I have never seen a 30 cent swing along any interstate I've ever been on. Never.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Rkh, agree with you as regards convenience and ease of using the station's pumps. I don't need to drive several blocks and enter a small station not built for our large rigs. Far too many chances for an unhappy ending as some hurried 4 wheeler takes aim at you.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My two favorite things in trip planning. Gas Buddy and google earth or maps

Gas buddy gives me a good overview of prices where I'm going, and google give me an overhead satellite view of the stations I want to look at.

My experience with the big three FJ, Pilot, Loves is that generally they all have substantially higher prices hands down everywhere I go. If you're not comfortable using smaller stations that's fine, but over the course of my traveling I've never had a problem at small places that I checked out prior to going there.

If you don't want to go after the lower prices.... well... what can I say?
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote