Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
I'm not so sure that GS and coach net are that different. Both use independent contractors. So at the end of the day a lot of experiences folks have, which forms their opinions, is how the contractor completed the call for service. On the corporate side of each plan folks will have an opinion about their customer service experience. In today's world that's what it comes down too for me.......how was the service. I can buy a widget anywhere, but how is the service, before and after. I have never had to use ERS yet....so I don't have a valid opinion, but I feel better knowing I at least have ERS....just in case......I took my buddy rv'ing in his new for him 5th wheel. He didn't have ERS...I asked him what he would do if he had a breakdown on the road......he just looked at me kinda stunned....this was after I had suggested he look at an ERS plan about 2 months ago.......so the bottom line for me is at least I have one and I'll share my opinion a day after I use it.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #30

I have the Good Sam ERS, used it 3 times.2 for road problems once for a lock out of keys in my jeep toad. All 3 times they came through with the help needed. Would not be without the ERS. First 2 times I was on the road here in Canada, other time I was in Florida.0 cost to me.
rebel
rebelcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Many people swear by GOOD SAM'S and just as many swear at them.
Just as many swear at Good Sam? When Good Sam has over a million members.
I don't think so. May be 1% or less of over a million non members swear at them.

Do you think they would be able to keep over a million members if they were bad as those 1% say?

Member since Nov. 1978 and a Charter Life Member with a 6 digit membership number.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Went with Coach Net. Don't know why other than GS's website was confusing to me and I really don't need more spam in my email acct.

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepaj View Post
PyrateSilly, if you don't have GS, what do you use for roadside assistance?
When looking at GS's site, to a newbie it's rather confusing.
Seems like they have an ala cart menu. Coach Net seems more straight forward but there are others I haven't looked at yet.
We had AAA last year and this year we went with CoachNet. We have not renewed Good Sam's and have not had them for at least 5 months. They are still sending mail and flyer's. We would ask them to stop but Thom's mom likes to read them.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #34

I vote yes for GS. The discount at campgrounds is usually only 10% so not much savings until you use it enough but I also have their ERS and have found it worthwhile....and then there is the CW savings but CW sure sents out lots of e-mail. Tried MH/toad insurance through GS which was great first year, but not second, now have MH bundled with homeowners and auto with SAFECO.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #35

Friend of mine has Good Sams. Had a blowout in Texas on I-20 last month. Pulled over and called Good Sams.
Had several conversations with the Good Sams receptionist/phone person.

Finally got a man out to change his flat.
No charge to my friend.

Four hour wait!

Maybe that's standard operating procedure? Just relaying info.
Whizzer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Charter Life Member with a 6 digit membership number.
Our number was too till they reissued new cards some years ago. Wish I had kept my old card!
At the Phoenix rally last year Marcus said they were going to issue new cards (maybe black ones) to the charter members during the Charter Members only meeting. Still waiting for them and now I see that the Black cards are used for people who buy a new RV from CW.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #37

I thinks it's worth the cost of membership. I don't always buy from Camping World, but do enjoy looking at their specials from e-mails and their sales booklet when it arrives. It's not too much junk mail and if I don't want to look at the junk I just throw it away. Their prices aren't always the cheapest and I bargain shop. During our 34 days trip it paid for itself many times over in the 10% discount. I saved over $50 for the stay at Disneyland RV Resort.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #38

Carolina Campers
I have a Lifetime membership to GSC. Therefore, no ongoing yearly dues, only one time cost and that was it.

In the last 8 months alone I have saved far more than the cost of the lifetime membership. The discounts for two purchases at CW were more than the lifetime membership alone (i.e.: Dometic portable refrigerator/freezer and macerator pump, etc.).

On top of those discounts, I have received some really great benefits;

With the lifetime GSC membership, I was able to get a Flying J/Pilot card that provides me 6 cents per gallon discount on gas, or 8 cents per gallon discount on diesel fuel. I also have a direct debit on my checking account that provides me with no limit on pumping. I start the pump and let it completely fill the tank versus having to stop at normal pumping limits of $100 or even less…

I have received discounts at camp sites.

I have not signed up for ERS through GSC nor Coach-Net because I already have that type of service as an rider on my RV Insurance policy. I have made the decision to add ERS either through GSC or Coach-Net. I have already ruled out AAA (I used to work for them and that is enough said there).

The reason I am going to use one of these ERS services is that I have had to call the service provided through my RV insurance rider twice. One time was a fuel related issue; the second was a broken serpentine belt. For the first issue I was told that I did not have the fuel deliver service with that rider, but they did offer to provide a tow. Luckily I had a toad, and was able to resolve my problem. The second required a tow. The tow cost $800 but the insurance only covered $750, therefore I had to pay $50 out of pocket. Not too bad for this one tow, but the tow was only for 30 miles. I can imagine being stuck somewhere, like in the middle of NM between Tucumcari and Albuquerque and having to be towed 150 miles or something and having to pay $1,000 or more out of pocket…. Both GSC and Coach-Net say that they cover unlimited mileage to the nearest certified service provider for your coach, or up to 100 miles if you chose one.

My point is that ERS is not the only benefit to consider, nor just discounts at CW. Hey, the Flying J/Pilot discounts are an ongoing, continual reason to make me say the price for the lifetime membership was worth it.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #39

Maybe it's just the places that I have camped, but I found that, when checking into a Good Sam campground, you can get the discount by simply asking "Are there any discounts available?" They give it to you whether you're a member or not. If you're thinking of joining the club just for the discount, my experience tells me it's not worth it.

To put it in perspective, most places, when signing up as a Good Sam park, increased their rates by 10% to account for the 10% discount they have to give. Essentially, they're making even more money off those that aren't members and they don't give the discount to, but, by merely enquiring, there is a good chance you'll get it anyway. At least in my experience, anyway. Of course, I found this out AFTER I putchased a Good Sam membership, so that year was wasted $, but I never renewed.
dieharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #40

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieharder View Post
Maybe it's just the places that I have camped, but I found that, when checking into a Good Sam campground, you can get the discount by simply asking "Are there any discounts available?" They give it to you whether you're a member or not. If you're thinking of joining the club just for the discount, my experience tells me it's not worth it.

To put it in perspective, most places, when signing up as a Good Sam park, increased their rates by 10% to account for the 10% discount they have to give. Essentially, they're making even more money off those that aren't members and they don't give the discount to, but, by merely enquiring, there is a good chance you'll get it anyway. At least in my experience, anyway. Of course, I found this out AFTER I putchased a Good Sam membership, so that year was wasted $, but I never renewed.
You may be correct, but after staying at many parks that are not a Good Sam park, I don't believe you are correct. The pricing at the GS park, before the GS discount is applied, appears to me to be competitive with other parks of the same caliber.

For instance, I have stayed at a park that was only $24/night, and then received a GS discount off that. Where other similar parks were $26 and did not allow a discount.

I assume it may depend on the park, but if the price was inflated for non-GS members, and was not competitive with other parks in the area, don't you think it would be readily evident to those researching which park they want to go to. I avoid any parks that have a published price that is not competitively priced.

Btw, to get the GS discount, I have had to show my GS card, and they even recorded it on the receipt. I wouldn't lie about it anyway. But if you do, recognize that your lie may be challenged, versus what was said in the previous post.

Hey, I look old enough that I could lie about my age to get a senior discount, but wouldn't I look a fool if they wanted to see my ID?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
With the lifetime GSC membership, I was able to get a Flying J/Pilot card that provides me 6 cents per gallon discount on gas, or 8 cents per gallon discount on diesel fuel. I also have a direct debit on my checking account that provides me with no limit on pumping. I start the pump and let it completely fill the tank versus having to stop at normal pumping limits of $100 or even less…
I have found that a little looking will get you even cheaper fuel than the Flying J/Pilot card with the Lifetime Member discount. Plus there is no way I'd let them do a direct debit from our bank account. Too easy for fraud to occur and what we have in our checking/savings account would make someone VERY happy.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #42

Carolina Campers
As you wish. I fully understand that opinion.

I am happy to do it.

On the other hand, I have found that the Flying J/Pilot prices are very competitive, even before my discount.

The reason why I know this is that I use a smart phone app that instantly displays all the gas prices for any location. And their price have always been very competitive. I always check prices in the area where I am going to stop long before arriving at the station. If you don't believe me, then download the YP app on your smart phone. Oh, I forgot, you probably don't have a smart phone because you think it is a waste of money.

Also, as a retired banker, even though I have seen all types of fraud, I do not have the fears of many older folks about electronic transactions. What most people don't seem to realize is that Federal law limits your maximum exposure to $50 for electric transactions, and that would even be a very rare occurrence to be charge anything, unless you were negligent in reviewing your account on a timely basis. I am always aware of every transaction that hits every one of my accounts because I monitored them all the time using my online banking applications. Oh, again, I forgot that you probably don't use online banking either because you probably are afraid that it exposes you to some fraud attempt.