Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

All the tire industry experts say that rivering is a non-issue. It's not unsafe, will not affect tire performance in any meaningful way, and won't cause the tire to wear out sooner than its normal lifespan. It's not hearsay - several respected sources are on record, in writing, to that effect. Ergo, I am of the opinion that the fears expressed here are unfounded (paranoia).

For what it's worth, I did have riverwear on the original GY G670's on the front of my 2004 American Tradition, but that did not cause me to replace them. I did, however, get a knot (sidewall bubble) in one at age five and decided to replace both fronts at that time. Replacing both instead of just one was a peace-of-mind decision too - my own brand of paranoia.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #44

Steve, Both my steering tires were losing the outside rib with some cupping. The rest of the tire looked fine. Isn't that rvtire? In addition I had the pull to the right. Just asking. But we should be calling it big trucktire as many over the road semitrucks have the same problem.

And regardless of what anyone says, I'm not driving on a tire with the core showing.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #45

Foretravel Owners Club
Good Year Tires have been proven to not be a good choice on most RV units where the owner pays attention and is tire savy.
As much as I dislike French anything, the Michelin is a safe choice, some other tires seem to work OK. I use the Michelin Tires and hate my self.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #46

The rivering creates an edge on the tire. That edge will grab the road that causes irregular pulls, I know as I had that issue. I did manage to get 30K on my not so Goodyears, but I did rotate three times. For some rigs, they seem fine, others not so good. I am told this is a common problem with heavy duty tires, but when Google searching for tire rivering, that subject is pretty much dominated by Goodyear.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:56 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
Steve, Both my steering tires were losing the outside rib with some cupping. The rest of the tire looked fine. Isn't that rvtire? In addition I had the pull to the right. Just asking. But we should be calling it big trucktire as many over the road semitrucks have the same problem.
The rivering on all(6) of my 275/70/22.5 tires with 36,260 miles on them.
Ware is the same on both outer edges on every tire. They have never been switched or rotated anytime over the 9 years they have been on. Nor any cupping to them or pulling to the right/left. And they still have many more miles to go before the cords on the outside edges will show. But all 6 will be replaced by my 10 year rule before that happens.

If yours is just losing one outside rib with cupping not both outside ribs the same without cupping. Then you don't have rivering. Another problem you have not the tire.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #48

I replaced the Goodyear tires about 2 years ago and the rear tires and the front showed signs of RVing in the outer edges of all tires the front had more ware than the rear. I had Toyo tires installed and like them.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #49

I suspect "rivering" is related to running tires with inadequate air pressure.My G670's, dated 2208, now have about 27,xxx miles on them with even tread wear all across the surface, no "rivering". They are operating at the MH mfgrs. recommended tire pressures for maximum GVW.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I suspect "rivering" is related to running tires with inadequate air pressure.My G670's, dated 2208, now have about 27,xxx miles on them with even tread wear all across the surface, no "rivering". They are operating at the MH mfgrs. recommended tire pressures for maximum GVW.

I'm thinking it's a crapshoot. I had 23K on mine over 3 years and had even wear at prescribed psi but they started rivering at that point. I traded before I needed to replace them.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #51

Damon Owners Club
My GY670's rivered out in the 25-30k range. The cause, according to
Goodyear, is that the front axle does not have enough weight.
Thus, the tire's footprint does not stay flat in a turn. This causes the
unusual scrubbing wear pattern that is called rivering or erosion.
This is a well documented issue when the front axle has less
than 11,500 lbs on it. The only solution is to try a different tire,
if you will drive more than 25,000 before the tire ages out.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #52

I read this thread with good interest since tire wear is one of the major concerns for a RVer. The post by Gary RVroamer was appreciated.
Keep up the good work Gary,
JimB
Old 10-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
I read this thread with good interest since tire wear is one of the major concerns for a RVer. The post by Gary RVroamer was appreciated.

Keep up the good work Gary,

JimB

It's been my experience that any post of Gary's will be thoughtful and well written. His conclusions are generally bulletproof. In this case, I would agree with his conclusions. If you need new tires due to tire wear, you have more going on than just Rivering.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:50 AM   #54
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I also listen and mostly agree with what Gary has to say and this time I find him to be 100% wrong. I sold tires, I installed tires, I balanced tires and I'm a nut about tires. I always know exactly what they're doing. You can even smell a tire and know that it's running slightly under pressure, by the fresh smell of rubber after driving.

I did everything feasible to keep the G670's from rivering, but they did it three times, on three sets. Gary admitted to rivering on his tires and said the only issue he had was a sidewall knot that caused him to replace his tires.....guess what caused the sidewall knot (which is a separation). It was the movement of the rivering tire. My first set had knots.

It's almost incomprehensible that someone comes on here and says, I didn't have rivering, so thousands of you must have done something wrong.....really.....what planet do you live on?
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I also listen and mostly agree with what Gary has to say and this time I find him to be 100% wrong. I sold tires, I installed tires, I balanced tires and I'm a nut about tires. I always know exactly what they're doing. You can even smell a tire and know that it's running slightly under pressure, by the fresh smell of rubber after driving.

I did everything feasible to keep the G670's from rivering, but they did it three times, on three sets. Gary admitted to rivering on his tires and said the only issue he had was a sidewall knot that caused him to replace his tires.....guess what caused the sidewall knot (which is a separation). It was the movement of the rivering tire. My first set had knots.

It's almost incomprehensible that someone comes on here and says, I didn't have rivering, so thousands of you must have done something wrong.....really.....what planet do you live on?

Dutchstar Don,

I have read your posts for years and I know you to be a knowledgeable guy. I certainly did not say nor imply anything resembling what you state in the last sentence of your post. I understand that you know your tires and I'm sure you had Rivering. I personally believe that if any owner has tire issues that require tire replacement there is more going on than Rivering only. It's certainly possible to have multiple tire defects going on at the same time. Goodyear considers Rivering to be an appearance issue only and will offer no adjustment. The knots you had sound like they could require a warrentee adjustment. Did a dealer ever inspect & did they ever offer any adjustment? Last time I had to replace tires, I spend months researching the subject. Rivering is a condition that is well known in the commercial tire industry. It occurs across all vehicle types and although there are a lot of theories, there is no definitive answer as to the root cause. I believe it's so well known in the motorhome community because so many G670s are used by the chassis builders.

I personally would still use G670s but not on the steer axle. I don't like the idea of Rivering either. I wouldn't use Michelin XRV tires because of their history of zipper failures. I have had great good fortune with tires designed for the heavy truck market. All position rib design has proven to be a good performer.

Bottom line; I certainly never intended to imply that you don't know what you are talking about, I just happen to agree with Gary on this subject. I do however, have enormous respect for your knowledge on all things motorhome.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #56

Thanks Don.