Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #1

Unhappy Goodyear Tires rivering

Hi. I am a member of several other groups, but joined this one to see if anyone has input on the problem and cause/correction of Goodyear tire rivering. I put new G670 275/80r22.5' on my 2001 HR Imperial in April,,2006. to date i have 23,000 miles on them.
In april, 2009, i had a right front tire replaced because of rivering. Goodyear paid for a new tire. The tires had 15,373 miles on them at that point.
Now, at 7,600 miles since replacement that right front tire has again started rivering.
the shocks are good.
Any suggestions as to cause and corrective action/ Ihave weighted the four corners and am running recommended tire pressures of 100 psiu in the rears and 110 psi in the fronts. Thanks. fprambler

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is "rivering" on a tire?

Also, glad to have you here on iRV2.

ken

Old 09-22-2010, 04:34 AM   #3

Is it an uneven, wobbly, wavy wear across the entire face or just on the tread edge/shoulder? In my days of working with tires, wobbly wavy wear across the entire face is almost always caused by bad shocks. Wear near one edge or the other is always a ball joint issue.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
What is "rivering" on a tire?
Yes,,, Never heard of this before,,,,Inquiring minds need to know!

Welcome aboard....
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Here is what Dick Lorntson of Precision Frame says about it:

Quote:
A ripple on the extreme inside or outside of the tire in the first to inch of the tread may indicate “River Wear”. This type of wear is not necessarily an indication of anything in need of correction. Some tires wear in this manner and it is considered irregular but acceptable wear. If it gets extreme, the cure is a tire rotation.
Here is an excellent article (with pictures) on tire wear symptoms and the terminology.
http://www.kaltire.com/index.php?pag...ear-conditions
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #6

Tire Rivering

Ken asked what tire rivering was. In my case it is a wavey wear pattern confined to the outside rib of the tire. The consesnsus of another group that responded to my guestion was the Goodyear used too soft a rubber compound, that once started there was no correction for that tire, and to run tire pressures 5 to 10 psi higher than the Goodyear tire chart using actual wheel load weights.
Goodyear area rep stated that rivering was caused by hi speed ( interstate) straight line driving.
The service shop that I visited yesterday recommended buying Goodrich tires that are made with a decoupler rib on the outside tread. I looked at a Bridgestone tire yesterday, and it too seems to have this feature. Bottom line, stay away from Goodyear tires for heavrier coaches.
The condition is not caused by a mechanical problem with the coach.
Yesterday, I had the front two tires trued, or shaved, reversed the faulty tire on the rim, and had the front balanced. we will see how long that lasts.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've had the river wear or shoulder step problem on a couple of Goodyear G670s. Just a cosmetic thing - the tire lasts just fine.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The G670 is notorious for "rivering". The Goodyear explanation is always user error. The fix is another brand tire, but increasing the tire pressure 10 lb over recommended pressure will help considerably. However, it makes for a rougher ride. The G670 works great on the rear, but never on the steering axle.

Doc and Sharon
07 Dip
Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess that since I refuse to have Goodyear (or Firestone) on a vehicle, I have never had reason to use the term....

Ken
Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I too have a Goodyear problem and found this thread helpful. With 41,000 miles on my 2010 Discovery with a Spartan chassis, I have had the fronts switched once to the inside rear and now the fronts are "cupped" and "Rivered" on the outside and inside of both fronts. I am convinced that it is a Goodyear problem, can I put two new Michelins on the steer axle and make the problem go away?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatin doc View Post
The G670 is notorious for "rivering". The Goodyear explanation is always user error. The fix is another brand tire, but increasing the tire pressure 10 lb over recommended pressure will help considerably. However, it makes for a rougher ride. The G670 works great on the rear, but never on the steering axle.

Doc and Sharon

07 Dip
Ditto, well said
Old 11-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Goodyear rivering is not just a problem on MH's, or with the G670 tires. It seems to be a problem on most steer tires from Goodyear, big trucks have the same problem too.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Since it is only your front right that has this problem. Something else is causing it.

All my 6 G670 275/R70/22.5 show riving the same. Front and rear.
It has caused no driving/steering or riding problem yet in their 8 years & 6 months they have been on my MH.
Planning on replacing them May 2015 with same.

Michelin XRV tires only lasted 4 & 6 years on my MH before they had zipper blow outs. Besides Michelin having a O warranty on cracking and G670's have a 7 year warranty for cracking. Is a no brainer. I rather put up with a little riving that causes no problem.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

There's been a lot of discussion on that subject on the forum. I would suggest that you do a search and see what comes up. Hope you enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote