Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Google earth for checking out sites

Ok so I'm a techno-dork. How does one use google maps to view sites? I am looking for a way to select sites, especially looking for the more level open sites. Thanks

Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksmom
Ok so I'm a techno-dork. How does one use google maps to view sites? I am looking for a way to select sites, especially looking for the more level open sites. Thanks
I use goggle earth to checkout roads when going off the beaten path. You simply type in where you want to go and it will rotate the globe to that location and then zoom in. On my IPad you just use your fingers to zoom more or move. You can even tilt the axis so you see from ground level.

I even used it for a backpack trip to Italy to get a better idea of the bus routes and it helped me recognize landmarks where we wanted to get off.

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #3

I also use Bing (Microsoft) similar but different viewing angle, better picture.
To use google do a Google search of the Resort address and then select maps.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #4

Don't really believe it is going to show sites in campgrounds enough to tell if they are level or not. I also use it a lot to find things and to check side and back roads. I have even found a few boondock sites! Google earth ground cameras are allowed mainly on roads, and some theme parks. These are "street view" cameras not the satellite cameras that can show everything. Trying to tell if a site is level is asking a lot. To use Google Earth once on the website type in something that you want to search for, ie, whispering pines campground,rapid city,sd and hit the search, please put your trays in the upright positions and your seatbelt on. LOL sorry I could not resist. Good luck
Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You won't be able to tell level from any of the map programs. Only a phone call to the office will get you that info & then only if the staff is knowledgeable about their sites. The best you'll get from GE or Bing Maps is the lay of the land/roads & seeing open vs tree'd campsites & a campground's layout (if it's not heavily wooded). We use GE alot to find campground entrances which are often in a different location than the park office entrances for state parks.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Try Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions and then Birdseye view.

As stated, it will not show you level, but you get a good perspective of the campground.

Also check RV Park Reviews (just Google it) and see what others have said about it.

Edited: I hate it when a program thinks it knows what I want to say. The above link is:

www bing . com / maps (all run together) or you can click on the thinking link above. Once there just put in the address then choose Birdseye view - if there is a Birdseye view it will zoom down and you can use the + sign to zoom in further.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I use Bing Maps a lot. I'll view interchanges on highways and also off & on ramps so I will know ahead of time which lane I need to be in. Many times an off ramp will have two left or right turn lanes, by viewing it from overhead I can see the arrows painted on the street and know the best way to exit the highway. It also helps just to know what the area looks like before you arrive.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #8

Showed a friend how to use GE and now he uses it to look for fishing sites! I use this along with a GPS and it really helps getting to know what you have to do to get into a CG or whatever. Checked out a CG once and seen it was beside a school playground while school was in season, that could have been a little noisy during the day!