Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
got an inverter now what ?

our motorhome did not come with a inverter and dont known if we need one?
but just bought one on ebay
idling solutions 3000 plus heavy duty 5000 surge 300 amp
made by xantrex
looks like idling solutions is long gone ?
but looks same as xantrex x power 3000 plus model ?
also would like to add a simple on off switch it has a phone cord plug on
front for this. looked on ebay there are many for sale and all come with
phone cord my guess is any one of them will work ?
bought this thinking if we install a home fridge at some point
but dont known much about inverters at all so need help
thanks john
pictures of both idling solutions and x power both look the same
and picture of switch i am looking for
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my inverter 7.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	138391   Click image for larger version

Name:	my inverter 4.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	138392  

Name:	my inverter.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	138393   Click image for larger version

Name:	my inverter 3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	138394  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #2

You definitely don't need one.

I'll take that boat anchor off of your hands for shipping cost only.......lol!

okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #3

Batteries lots of batteries
Old 09-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
any help with getting a on off remote switch ?
best way / place to install inverter
thanks
Old 09-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link that has your inverter installation instructions, not much there but better then nothing.

Discontinued Power Inverters

You might find the right manual here.

Discontinued Power Inverter/Chargers

The last picture you posted shows a switch, do you have this switch???

Normally the inverter is located fairly close to the battery bank to reduce voltage drop. If you do this you might consider running a couple extension cords to locations in your RV that will require power. If you want to get fancy you could wire in a separate breaker box and run circuits off of it and then put the switch close to be able to control power to the panel.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #6

My only contribution is to point out that the cables from the batteries to the inverter need to be heavy gauge cables. They should be at least as thick as the cable to your starter, possibly thicker if it's a long run from the batteries to the inverter. So make sure you do plenty of research on that before you mount the inverter.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #7

Having installed them on my cruising boats, I can offer you some advice. First off, you will need some serious deep cycle battery banks, like two sets of 6v golf cart batteries on a 1/2/both battery switch using 1/0 cable. Get it as close to the batteries as possible where it can have an adequate air flow. You will need a matching transfer switch as you can not have inverter power and generator/campground power at the same time. You could also wire in some dedicated outlets powered by the inverter only. As to the remote switch, many of the inverters used phone cable to switch a remote inverter on and off. My last boat had that option.

I could go on and on about this, but why would you want an inverter, unless you plan to do a lot of off grid camping, and even so, you will be limited by your battery system and a charging system powerful enough to replenish the batteries. You can probably run some refrigeration, small appliances, may be a small microwave for short bursts, and some lights. No A/C or any appliance like a toaster will work for you either.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a beast of an invertor. Close to your battery bank and someplace dry with ventilation or volume to dissipate heat is what you want. A bad example would be a small closed storage area. A good example is the below floor storage area (think DP for this one). Close to the converter might be an option. If the wire on the output of the converter is a large enough gauge you might be able to tape into it as a power feed. The one/off switch, anywhere that is convenient. Near the generator switch or where you can see what the battery volts are is a good place.

As for wiring it into a circuit two Xantrex Inline Transfer Relays would do the trick. They will activate only when the inverter is powered. Use them to switch power for your entertainment outlets and maybe the kitchen/bath/exterior outlets if the GFI for the circuit doesn't mind the flavor of the inverter power. Just be sure what ever circuits you pick the converter/charger is not on that one. Best to avoid a loop of charging/consuming of DC energy. Converter-invertor is not a perpetual motion machine. Don't power the absorption fridge you currently have either. Don't even consider that circuit with the idea that you can manually switch the fridge to gas. Forget once and you'll be on the generator for a while recharging the battery bank.

Amazon has the transfer relays - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S5Y158...I2SRQ9TTB3WDNV
Old 09-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks for the links
no i dont have the switch in picture i want to get / find one
thanks
Old 09-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The remote for that unit will be unique, though possible the same as the look-alike Xantrex. The phone (more likely LAN) cable is easy enough, but getting the remote display/switch to talk to the inverter is not a standardized thing and Xantrex changes the interface all the time.

You probably don't have near enough batteries to run that beast at full power, but maybe you don't need to. And you probably need professional help to avoid burning things up, cause you don't seem to have the electrical knowledge needed to mess with this sort of thing. It ain't Plug 'n Play!

You need to either re-route existing circuits to be powered from the inverter, possibly adding a transfer switch to shift them from shore to inverter, or power the entire coach via inverter but make some mods to make sure the a/c doesn't try to run thru it, and that your existing converter/charger doesn't run when the inverter is active. You also need to be absolutely sure that the inverter and shore/genset power can never feed the same circuit at the same time, cause sparks and smoke will surely result. You can do serious damage if that ever happens!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
hi all
i known this is a big invertor more then i need but the price was right
was planing to use for fridge only and maybe a outlet it was in a over the road condo truck running everything fridge micro tv ect.
plan to mount in elec. bay thats in front of wheel well and battery s
are in bay behind wheel well so about 6 ft run
does that sound ok ?
then run 120v wire to back of fridge ?
want to add on off switch so when not on the road using it i can turn it off ?
does this sound right ?
thanks
Old 09-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

"Run it back to the fridge" isn't quite that simple, since you probably want to run the fridge on shore power when available, right? So you need either a manual or automatic "transfer switch" to do that. The transfer switch selects either inverter or shore power, but never allows both at the same time.

You can make a simple one using a DPDT switch (Double Pole, Double Throw), or you can buy an automatic transfer switch.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #13

For something simple like you are doing, this is a great solution for a automatic transfer switch. This for just one appliance like a refrigerator. Shore power goes in one wire, inverter goes in the other, fridge plugs into last wire. When there is shore power the switch automatically selects it. When shore power goes away, it selects inverter power.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1473540163.221026.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	138579
Old 09-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a link to a 30-50 amp conversion. Not what you are doing but a lot of info and diagrams that may help you, Bob.

Tags
inverter