Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #1

Gotta Love Rio Rancho

Gotta love Rio Rancho New Mexico. In Rio Rancho you'll find highway officers shooting what looks like radar. They're not checking speed, but the distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you. If you are to close for the speed you are traveling, you are stopped and issued a ticket for aggressive driving and following to close (tailgating).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If they tried to do that in Houston, the officers would run out of paper, have writers cramps and have 2/3 of the cars off the road.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is "Brake Checking" a tailgater illegal? I have been told by some that it is.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

I live in Colorado but have been in Rio Ranch since the end of July, and probably won't leave until mid December. I haven't see that happen here yet but it sounds to me like a good way to deal with tailgaters. I don't like having someone 5 feet from my bumper. Just saying
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
Gotta love Rio Rancho New Mexico. In Rio Rancho you'll find highway officers shooting what looks like radar. They're not checking speed, but the distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you. If you are to close for the speed you are traveling, you are stopped and issued a ticket for aggressive driving and following to close (tailgating).

These clowns here in Taxifornia California, better hope the cash strapped CHP does get wind of that idea.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #6

No one loves anybody until they get behind you and they love to get as close to you as your mirror will allow them to be seen in full array. They have no sense that closeness of this sort can kill someone. If you don't brake check now and then, how about stopping or heavy slowing down for that dog or cat crossing the freeway?
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptop View Post
I live in Colorado but have been in Rio Ranch since the end of July, and probably won't leave until mid December. I haven't see that happen here yet but it sounds to me like a good way to deal with tailgaters. I don't like having someone 5 feet from my bumper. Just saying
Check the news story on KRQE TV.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #8

Headed to Albuq next weekend, should I go towards Rio Rancho, I'll be sure not to follow to closely. Small town cops with nothing better to do?
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not much crime in New Mexico...I guess they have to look for something to do.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #10

RVluvin. If you don't see a sign you can't tell the difference between Rio Rancho & Albquerque because they are connected together. That and if you get caught talking on a cell phone while driving in Albquerque it will lighten your wallet by $1,000. Didn't happen to me but there are road signs warning you. I don't have any $1,000 cell phone calls I need to make.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
Headed to Albuq next weekend, should I go towards Rio Rancho, I'll be sure not to follow to closely. Small town cops with nothing better to do?
Nope, just trying to save a few lives. What will they think of next??
Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richvkansas View Post
Nope, just trying to save a few lives. What will they think of next??
Perhaps looking for drunk drivers and people driving well over the speed limit instead of measuring the distance between cars would be more suited to that end.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
Perhaps looking for drunk drivers and people driving well over the speed limit instead of measuring the distance between cars would be more suited to that end.
And you are correct. I assumed the distance measuring was just another tool in their traffic enforcement. Being from CA, you are probably more familiar with aggressive driving issues than I (from Kansas City metro area). One unexpected driver action can often turn into a multi-vehicle pileup. Also, I just reread my post and it was a bit snotty. Not intended and I'll have to work on that.