Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I think the federal government should declare a state of emergency and set some price limits during this period of temporary fuel shortages due to the reduction of refining capability caused by Hurricane Katrina. A shortage of fuel is bad enough without having the money hungry greedy oil companies and station owners jacking the prices up to an unrealistic point. Some increases would be expected due to the laws of supply and demand but many are being unrealistic by gouging.

I've seen on the news that some station owners have priced fuel at $5 or $6 a gallon! What's the difference between doing that and a lumber yard raising its plywood to $100 a sheet or a grocery store quadrupling food prices shortly before and immediately after a hurricane, practices that are illegal in states that have declared a disaster.

Greedy business owners, including gas station owners, should be held accountable legally and publicly for their gouging and when this temporary shortage is over we should all remember who gouged and refuse to patronize them, forcing them out of business.

I know none of this will actually happen, the government isn't going to control prices and the public at large won't give a hoot after the shortage ends but seems like a rationale thing to do today. Life as usual will go on after this is all over.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2005, 06:47 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
I think the federal government should declare a state of emergency and set some price limits during this period of temporary fuel shortages due to the reduction of refining capability caused by Hurricane Katrina. A shortage of fuel is bad enough without having the money hungry greedy oil companies and station owners jacking the prices up to an unrealistic point. Some increases would be expected due to the laws of supply and demand but many are being unrealistic by gouging.

I've seen on the news that some station owners have priced fuel at $5 or $6 a gallon! What's the difference between doing that and a lumber yard raising its plywood to $100 a sheet or a grocery store quadrupling food prices shortly before and immediately after a hurricane, practices that are illegal in states that have declared a disaster.

Greedy business owners, including gas station owners, should be held accountable legally and publicly for their gouging and when this temporary shortage is over we should all remember who gouged and refuse to patronize them, forcing them out of business.

I know none of this will actually happen, the government isn't going to control prices and the public at large won't give a hoot after the shortage ends but seems like a rationale thing to do today. Life as usual will go on after this is all over.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:11 AM   #3

Richard:

I agree...I stated this earlier in the TH Forum...I am just about as Republican as you can get, but when it comes down to commodities that have 100% demand, there needs to be some controls- the market (any market) can't regulate itself from the profit-takers, because they'r ethe MAJORITY and not the exception! Look at our energy fiasco a couple of years ago- it was a mess, and is still a mess, but too many other issues at hand that have overshadowed it. You know- we just got "used to it", and I firmly believe that's what the fuel companies are expecting us to do with gas.

More of my thoughts here if anyone's interested (so I don't go on rambling here!).

Sean
Old 09-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
today the rumor is out that they are going to stop selling gas. People are filling up 50 gallon barrels and anything they can put gas in. I need some gas the mow the yard but I am not going to get in the line to get five gallons. A good reason for me not to have to cut the grass.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:02 PM   #5

I have recieved several e-mails warning me of shortages. I don't know if they are true or just more web BS. I did how ever put up 30 gals before it went nuts. I have two motor cycles, a boat, RV, truck, car, tractor. it won't go to waste. Scotty
Old 09-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I was listening to a Oil tycoon interviewed on CNBC on Wed. say that the USA's consumption of oil and oil based products was 87 million barrels a day. The oil companies could only bring in 85 million barrels a day. So in order to "make" people reduce the need for oil based products "he" had to gouge the common folks to a point they will stop driving and consuming so much. He said at some point either $3 or $5 a gallon gas people will stop driving. Only driving to go to their jobs. He "owns us" period Truthfully I don't know how some people make it now a days. At my place of employment just about everyone has a 2nd job. Is that life ??? With rising energy prices, taxes, fees, service charges, tolls, surcharges, cost recovery fees, health insurance (if your lucky to have it)you name it. The cost of every day living is making people "slaves" to the richest 5%.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:09 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
In the shortrun, it would probably be interesting to see some gas price limits.
Don't think it will ever happen though.

The one thing our free economy has done, is create some giants that eventually help phase themseles out. Worldcom and Enron had a big hand in their own undoing. Industries also are sometimes part of their own undoing. The tobacco industry sure has changed tack in the last couple decades. MaBell's control over the entire phone system was eliminated within our lifetime.
I just wonder if incentive to create a renewable energy source for transportation will increase if gas goes to $5 a gallon here on our continent.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I fully agree. The Feds need to step in and limit the profits and gouging by the oil companies, distributors and retailers. to stop the hording, they simply need to limit fill ups to vehicles and then a max of say 10 or 20 gallons if they bring in cans or a barrel. This way, the fuel wwould spbe spread enough for everyone.

Ken
Old 09-02-2005, 06:10 AM   #9

I think there is a lot of blame to go around. But if it were not for a these unreasonable environmental regulations Oil companies would of and should of been allowed to drill in Alaska and where ever else for that matter. Also to build new refineries. Here in California we cannot drill offshore any more with new oil platforms. We cannot build new refineries because the regulations are so ridiculously stringent. We even need our own special blend of gas! And for all you registered Democrats, your leadership in Washington, Hillary,Schumer,Kennedy,Bird,Feinstein, etc. are all first in line blocking all of this. Anwar Alaska is off limits. Remember this as you are filling up your tank... Wake up!!!

8.1 litre
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:12 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree there should be some controls. The concern for me, however, is what happened in the 70's under price controls. There was a tremendous shortage of fuel (some say now that it was an industry managed shortage) with long gas lines, hot tempers, and chaos in many cities. Once the price controls expired the oil companies suddenly found oil....
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:34 AM   #11

If there is a shortage, then fuel needs rationing on a need basis just like WWII.

All the motorhomes and RV pulling that is done for self gratification would not qualify as a need.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:10 AM   #12

When companies get together and set prices, isn't that Price Fixing and against the law?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:16 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
I turned on CNN this afternoon and noticed they had the price for gasoline in the lower right corner. Never noticed it there before but was encouraged to see it was indicating a decrease of $0.225 for a gallon and a price of $2.18 which I presumed to be the wholesale price without the tax added.

Considering the wholesale price shot up this past Monday causing gasoline to be priced around $3 at the pump by Wednesday, do y'all think in two days (by Sunday) we'll see that $0.225 reduction at those same pumps? Personally, I doubt it.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The prime time media has been 'hyping' $3.00/gallon stories all summer. And guess what? They got it! If they tell it to us too many times that when the event occurs you will say "I knew that was going to happen".
Chet