Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #57

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Garmin GPS - Have a backup GPS running at the same time

We have a Garimin RV770 NA LMT-S, purchased in mid-2018. My husband and I are kind of new to RVing and on our 1st trip, it took us through a small town, downtown, with 2 lanes and then tried to turn us on a small dirt road going up the side of a mountain. Hot Springs, Arkansas.

With that being said, we relied on it and ended up in a precarious situation. SO, we always have another GPS running in the background. Usually WAZE. I also have a Rand McNally truckers road atlas.

Good luck and happy trails!!
Jesseskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #58

I purchased the Garmin RV770-LMT-NA as soon as it hit the market and it was a mistake. For the first two years, it had problems knowing exactly where I was at and would give me incorrect directions to where I was going.

Last year, I updated it and it now works like a charm. We took an 8,600 mile trip last year that lasted 3 months all the way into Canada and the Garmin never missed a beat. I would highly recommend either it or the newer model if one is available.
J. Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #59

Not sure if this was already mentioned but the Garmin RV 785 has a built in dash cam if that matters.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #60

GPS

Most of the above input is on target from my experience. Been using either Rand McNally or Garmin for more than 10 years and all have their own +'s and -"s.

My overall vote would go to Garmin for ease of use. Currently using the RV 770 purchased in spring 2019. Lifetime updates for Garmin and Rand McNally are just what they say. Never had an issue.

If you use the new RV Trip Wizard program - it plays better with RM but you can still plan a trip and move it to the Garmin unit through BaseCamp - just more steps.

Watch the latest Rand McNally RVND 7 - it has or had bugs that gave you incorrect date - iffy speedometer readings - arrival times etc... - routes were OK but I like to get a lot of data at a glance.

They just requested I return the unit for repair so I'm in wait and see mode for the RVND 7 at present.

Good Luck!
curbmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #61

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Rand McNally is worth consideration

I used to have a Garmin GPS. It took me to an empty lot, a graveyard, or a wrong path one too many times so I replaced it with a Rand McNally GPS. My coach included an integrated Rand McNally and, other than the occasional reboot it has been accurate and easy to use. I can remove the SD card and update it online anytime I want, easy because my laptop has a card slot. Rand McNally has never failed me in years of service. With all of you who use Garmin I'm quite sure they must have worked out the bugs and if I didn't have a GPS I would look seriously at Garmin, but I like what I have. I think either brand would work well in an RV.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #62

Quote trimmed for brevity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbryans View Post
The important thing it to alway have a map for overview to verify the GPS route makes sense.
AND... a tablet or laptop with Google Earth on it...

a GPS can get you there, but ALWAYS use GE to look at the layout before you drive into a place you've not been to before...
GE gives you a overview of the destination, where the buildings are, and where the parking is...

A friend told me a horror story about a shopping center parking lot with too-narrow aisles and too-short turning radius at the aisle ends and a 32 foot MH...

And that tablet coupled with a WiFi camera can serve as a backup camera monitor...

Mike
Old 01-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Overall. I think hardware-based solutions are becoming "old think".
Just like the future of television, banking, music, radio, shopping, etc., having an app on your phone or tablet is the way to go.

Secure it on your rv dash, right where you want it, then take it with you in your toad when you're out exploring. Then keep it in your pocket while you explore on foot. Get right to the door of that hidden away shop or restaurant.

Then, if you get tired of it, or something better comes along, just dump the old app and download the new one.
You are correct in each ragard.

However.....as an earlier poster indicated, navigating between the 5 and the 405, at 5pm, in the rain, using the phone......and the screen wipes due to a call from "Rachel, at card services"........tends to upset.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:49 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Downloaded the app, first thing it wanted is a mobile number. What does it use that for?
Don’t remember that Argosy, but I can tell you this. It works awesome! I just did a 1700 mile trip up north and then back again. I like it better than using the next exit book. (Which hasn’t been properly updated after the 2016 issue). I highly highly recommend truck map app. And let me say I am in no way affiliated with this app, It was recommended by a RV YouTuber.

I love it! I don’t use it to navigate just to find fuel stops, Walmarts things of that nature. When I use it I visually look at the pin drops at either quarter or halfway points and then look at the distances from my start and finish points. This way I know I can stop every 2 1/2 hours rest and get fuel.

iExit is good too. But I don’t use it as much as Truck Map
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:49 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesseskat View Post
We have a Garimin RV770 NA LMT-S, purchased in mid-2018. My husband and I are kind of new to RVing and on our 1st trip, it took us through a small town, downtown, with 2 lanes and then tried to turn us on a small dirt road going up the side of a mountain. Hot Springs, Arkansas.

With that being said, we relied on it and ended up in a precarious situation. SO, we always have another GPS running in the background. Usually WAZE. I also have a Rand McNally truckers road atlas.

Good luck and happy trails!!
Usually (though you may have had a special case) settings allow you to avoid dirt roads.....and other things.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #66

Another vote for the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S. I bought ours in May 2019, and we logged over 5,000 miles with it last year. I was thankful to have it. We also bought the Rand McNally 2020 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas at the same time. Both were invaluable. Google Maps is always nice for a 2nd or 3rd option.
I agree with others that a portable is preferred over a built in GPS. Free updates and traffic! Our Honda built-in GPS provided map updates annually for $150 - no thanks. I use several iPhone apps, but it's nice to have a GPS that does not rely on cell service, which we didn't always have.
HarleyRider7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:00 PM   #67

Garmin hands down......ideal base mount for the garmin is a bean bag style with adjustabe mount. Great to move it in WHERE EVER IS BEST VIEWABLE FOR YOU. VERY USER FRIENDLY AND ACCURATE.IT IS JUST LIKE ANY OTHER THOUGH....PROCEED WITH CAUTION
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:58 PM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
May I disagree? I prefer the stand alone GPS (fixed or portable), when trying to use my phone as a GPS, the screen is to sensitive to accidental touch. I am just in the mist of a major interstate interchange with five or six lanes each way and I get a telemarketer with an important incoming call. With that call, away goes my GPS and mapping. GPS are just to cheap to mess with compromise.

It's an opinion.
You may absolutely disagree. But I too can disagree with you. I would never use my phone to run CoPilot for the very reason you state. I have a Samsung Tab A with a 10" screen that I can securely attach to the dash. The screen is plenty large enough for me to read at a glance. I can also cast the signal to the overhead TV so that the co pilot can see it to help when driving in the city.
It's just another opinion.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:54 AM   #69

What a great forum.
Everyone just contributes their opinions and experience without any insults or name calling.
Thank you all for that.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:43 AM   #70

I have the Garmin 770 and love it. Love being able to plan the trip on the computer and downloading to the Garmin.
The capability of what can be done is awesome.
Nomonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps