RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #85

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
The problem that I find using anything that is cell phone based, is limited coverage. If you are in a city you are OK. If you are driving on an Interstate highway you are OK. If you are in a very rural environment, oops your lost. In any wide area emergency, the cell phone system is the 1st to go down.
It is a common misconception that mobile GPS apps always require a data signal to work. In fact, there are very few that require it. For instance Google maps does not require it anymore, it used to years ago but no more.

LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomonk View Post
I have the Garmin 770 and love it. Love being able to plan the trip on the computer and downloading to the Garmin.
The capability of what can be done is awesome.
Are you using Garmins Base Camp to plan your trips on a computer then download?

Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #87

We purchased a truckerís garmin. We like that it will let us know if there is an obstruction due to height. If traveling main highways only, this most likely isnít a problem, however we have run into a couple times we needed to reroute with secondary roads.
janand2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by janand2 View Post
We purchased a trucker’s garmin. We like that it will let us know if there is an obstruction due to height. If traveling main highways only, this most likely isn’t a problem, however we have run into a couple times we needed to reroute with secondary roads.

I notice this is your first time responding. Welcome to the group. Lots of good thought here. I use the Truckers Garmin also. Good Choice.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
You may absolutely disagree. But I too can disagree with you. I would never use my phone to run CoPilot for the very reason you state. I have a Samsung Tab A with a 10" screen that I can securely attach to the dash. The screen is plenty large enough for me to read at a glance. I can also cast the signal to the overhead TV so that the co pilot can see it to help when driving in the city.
It's just another opinion.
First I love your quote "There are 10 types of people... Those that understand binary and those that don't." Had that on my office wall when I taught digital math electronics at a technical college.

Secondly, we are basically saying the same thing? As an old aviator, I have been around GPS for decades, including its predecessor LORAN. Its just my opinion that GPS mapping is a better product than cell phone mapping. But any mapping technology is only as good as the data base they purchase from a third party vendor.

I use a 12" notebook for a display of my GPS receiver. The notebook is attached to left door post of the motorhome and at eye level. Glance 15 degrees left and I can see it. Co-pilot has her own display. Always have a paper map. This system is totally GPS based and is not dependent on cell phone towers.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #90

Quote:
It is a common misconception that mobile GPS apps always require a data signal to work. In fact, there are very few that require it. For instance Google maps does not require it anymore, it used to years ago but no more.
I must admit I am confused. I do understand that a GPS based system, Garmin, Magellan etc, needs no cell phone towers.

However a cell phone based system, without a stand long internal GPS, I thought needed a cell tower to communicate information. Is this incorrect? I realize you could download the database to you phone/mobile device, but that seems time consuming.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Bruce, IMHO, you are correct, lose a cell signal and you lose gps routing - UNLESS you have downloaded the regional maps ahead of time, but then how many do that?

I've been a proponent of Garmin's since they were suitcase gps's They weren't perfect way back then, but are near perfect now After all, gps is their ONLY business, not camping supplies, computers, and etc... And since they do marine and flight gps systems, they have to be pretty good or else!

I don't bother with any other double checks other than periodically keeping my maps and gps software up to date and they truly are lifetime maps - I have an old Garmin 5000 and 726 that I can still update.

Some of the comments seem like it's a full time job for them with planning and double checking and ... I'm going on vacation, not to work, so put the next destination into our RV760's and go - we always get there safely... Enjoy !
Old 01-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #92

Quote:
Google Maps does not require a data connection provided you initialized the trip with a data connection and you download maps for the area your trip is going through.

As I understand, most cell phones use a combination of cell tower location data and GPS to determine position.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
I am considering this GPS. In the Garmin web site, it clearly says to use the lane minder feature, the unit must be mounted in the v=center of the windshield.

Does the camera separate from the GPS unit?

It says it comes with a powered magnetic suction cup.....???? Can you say what this is?

I stopped using suction cup mounts years ago because they didn't work well.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

And yes - - Garmin GPSs do not do well if not taking their route. I also have a backup of WAZE and I print off aTrip Tik from the AAA web site - they are free online.g
The camera is built into the front facing of the screen, so to effectively use the lane minder feature it does have to be mounted in the center of the windscreen. In my case that hasn't been a problem. I mount the suction cup mount as low as I can, so the bottom edge of the GPS screen itself rests on the dash. It doesn't get in my way to view the entire roadway, and located so both my wife and myself can easily glance at it as needed. I've had no problem so far with the suction cup... the hardest part is getting it to let go!

I should add, I love the clarity of the GPS voice. The speaker is also forward facing and the sound bounces off the window - way better than my build in console GPS (my RV is built on the Ford Transit deisel chaise).

I also love the magnetic (GPS) mount on the suction cup (window) mount. It only lets you attach it 'the right way up' (so the correct contacts meet), and it is easy to just pull off the GPS from the window mount when either of us want it is hand for any reason.

Back to my comment about having a 2nd GPS opinion, I still take along my very old regular Garmin and program both before the start of that day's leg. I then look at the overview of the entire route to see how compatible they are. If they appear to far apart then I'll fire up WAZE (don't want to overly abuse my data plan), and compare all three routes. Then we decide up front which GPS to prefer for which part of the route. Usually the 'rogue' will get back inline at some point.

I also try to have a State or regional map I review before I plan a trip segment, to either pick where I think I want to be the next night, and preferred route to get there, or visa versa. Generally we prefer taking secondary country roads for the pretty countryside, when we aren't on the clock to be somewhere, which is why we try to avoid making reservations until the morning of.
wjbryans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:06 PM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
I must admit I am confused. I do understand that a GPS based system, Garmin, Magellan etc, needs no cell phone towers.

However a cell phone based system, without a stand long internal GPS, I thought needed a cell tower to communicate information. Is this incorrect? I realize you could download the database to you phone/mobile device, but that seems time consuming.
Apps such as CoPilot only require a data connection to download and install the app. As a part of installation you also download maps. If you have enough storage memory (most do) you can download all of north america, so no data connection required after that. Of course you would need a data connection to update the maps as well, just like on a dedicated GPS device. It is also inaccurate to describe these as cell phone apps, they are not limited to cell phones. It is more accurate to describe as mobile apps. They can be installed on any device that runs a mobile OS like Android or iOS that has a GPS receiver built into it. My understanding is that Android phones and tablets have the GPS receiver, but iPads without cell service do not have a GPS receiver. Just another strike against Apple if you ask me.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #95

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Apps such as CoPilot only require a data connection to download and install the app. As a part of installation you also download maps. If you have enough storage memory (most do) you can download all of north america, so no data connection required after that. Of course you would need a data connection to update the maps as well, just like on a dedicated GPS device. It is also inaccurate to describe these as cell phone apps, they are not limited to cell phones. It is more accurate to describe as mobile apps. They can be installed on any device that runs a mobile OS like Android or iOS that has a GPS receiver built into it. My understanding is that Android phones and tablets have the GPS receiver, but iPads without cell service do not have a GPS receiver. Just another strike against Apple if you ask me.
Apple does require a WiFi/cellular iPad version to get the GPS chip, but active cellular service is not required.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #96

Quote:
You may absolutely disagree. But I too can disagree with you. I would never use my phone to run CoPilot for the very reason you state. I have a Samsung Tab A with a 10" screen that I can securely attach to the dash. The screen is plenty large enough for me to read at a glance. I can also cast the signal to the overhead TV so that the co pilot can see it to help when driving in the city.
It's just another opinion.
I'm a standalone GPS person but this is a great idea as well. I'll need to keep that in mind. If I am remembering correctly, CoPilot allows you to download the maps doesn't it? That way it is still usable even if you lose coverage. Thanks.
djsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:48 AM   #97

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbryans View Post
The camera is built into the front facing of the screen, so to effectively use the lane minder feature it does have to be mounted in the center of the windscreen.
Thank you very much "wj" for the answer. Suction cup mounts have come long way!!

I guess my only other concern is seeing the GPS.....eyes ain't what they use to be....LOL

I have a 760 I will mount on the windshield and see how I do....

Again - - thanks for your detailed response....it is appreciated.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #98

I use to use Waze on a LG tablet in my everyday vehicle, but it kept overheating. Too close to sun I guess. It was my only spot for it!

Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps