Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question GPS: Magellan vs Rand McNally

Now that both of the new "RV" GPS units have been out for a while. Which one of these two manufacturer's units have folks found to be the preferable unit for the RV. Has anyone tried both?
Thanks for your feedback

jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Here is a recent thread on GPS options:
Navigation Devices or Software

JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #3

Of interest to some might be the email we just received from Rand McNally regarding our GPS

"Attention RV GPS Owner,
We have some very exciting news to share! Starting today, owners of the Rand McNally TripMaker® RVND™ 5510 and 7710 now have the opportunity to download the Woodall’s Campground data to the units! "

I downloaded the information - it seems to all be there. We will probably not use it since we are not especially enamored with Woodall's, but who knows, it might be useful some day.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #4

Have Rand McNally. Not impressed but only had a cheapy $79 unit before (That worked ok but was OLD) so not much to compare to. Just took a trip from Chicago to Memphis to New Orleans.

Put in all the info, read the manual and ...

Had us on looking for the RV park on the wrong side of the road (had to drive about a mile to find a place to easily turn around)

Going into New Orleans, told us to exit on the wrong side to a nonexistant exit. Had to get across 3 lanes (and 2 exits later) (Rush Hour) and wait for recalculation and then takes us through downtown during rush hour. Probably added a half hour+ to our trip.

Now we were cautious and using my wife's Iphone and coming back stopped in Tunica and tried to take the long way (against the suggestion of even the signs to the park)

Told us to take I55 even though I57 was 30 minutes and 20 miles shorter.

At 9 miles to the gallon this was wasted money and time.

What I learned is, have AAA maps (which thank goodness we did or it would have been worse). Be ready for long recalculations. I wish I would have done more research on this unit before buying. Just don't trust it.

I have a email to them with my concerns (over a week ago) and still no response. Not happy about that either.
Yes, I do know that it may make suggestions based on my unit and suggest easy left and right turns but I have a B+ 27 foot so it's not real big and I would say what it suggested to me would not have made the difference to any of us.

Anyone else with similar ?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have used Delorme street atlas USA on my computer for 8 years and have been happy with it. not perfect, but cheap and it works for me.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
They just had a great article in my Saturday morning RV news letter.
Great RV Accessories: Real world test: Made for RVers GPS units
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy6 View Post
Have Rand McNally. Not impressed but only had a cheapy $79 unit before (That worked ok but was OLD) so not much to compare to. Just took a trip from Chicago to Memphis to New Orleans.

Put in all the info, read the manual and ...

Had us on looking for the RV park on the wrong side of the road (had to drive about a mile to find a place to easily turn around)

Going into New Orleans, told us to exit on the wrong side to a nonexistant exit. Had to get across 3 lanes (and 2 exits later) (Rush Hour) and wait for recalculation and then takes us through downtown during rush hour. Probably added a half hour+ to our trip.

Now we were cautious and using my wife's Iphone and coming back stopped in Tunica and tried to take the long way (against the suggestion of even the signs to the park)

Told us to take I55 even though I57 was 30 minutes and 20 miles shorter.

At 9 miles to the gallon this was wasted money and time.

What I learned is, have AAA maps (which thank goodness we did or it would have been worse). Be ready for long recalculations. I wish I would have done more research on this unit before buying. Just don't trust it.

I have a email to them with my concerns (over a week ago) and still no response. Not happy about that either.
Yes, I do know that it may make suggestions based on my unit and suggest easy left and right turns but I have a B+ 27 foot so it's not real big and I would say what it suggested to me would not have made the difference to any of us.

Anyone else with similar ?
Your post could have been written by me, right down to the Chicago/New Orleans destination.
At one point it wanted us to turn RIGHT into Buccaneer State Park in Waveland, MS. Doing so would have had us turning our MH into a yacht, because it would put us right in the Gulf of Mexico.
One pet peeve of mine is there does not seem to be function to scroll through the route to see where it's taking you, which Google maps lets you do. I would hope they add this feature in the future.
That said, I do like the unit, it is WAY better than the Mio I had before. I have learned to NEVER trust electronics, been burned way too many times before.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I have used MS Map Point for years, but finally did not want to spend the $$ for the 2011 (now 2012) version. However, I found MS Streets and Trips does most of the same things for a great deal less. In conjunction I also use Trailer Lifes RV Roadtrip Navigator. I research the campgrounds along the route, put them into my Streets and Trips and then send the information to our Garmin Nuvi. It is convenient to have the two software programs on my laptop.

I started with the huge RV directories - but too big and bulky and need a magnifying glass to read....

This works for me, and as I am navigator, that's what counts

JoAnn
Old 04-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Your post could have been written by me, right down to the Chicago/New Orleans destination.
At one point it wanted us to turn RIGHT into Buccaneer State Park in Waveland, MS. Doing so would have had us turning our MH into a yacht, because it would put us right in the Gulf of Mexico.
One pet peeve of mine is there does not seem to be function to scroll through the route to see where it's taking you, which Google maps lets you do. I would hope they add this feature in the future.
That said, I do like the unit, it is WAY better than the Mio I had before. I have learned to NEVER trust electronics, been burned way too many times before.
baraff: Thanks for having my back. My wife did find a way to do it. If you need me to, I can get the info from my wife who is not available right now.

Tags
gps