Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
GPS Mount

We were never happy with the mounting arm that came with our GPS. It was always falling over going down the road. After a lot of thought, I came up with this. A quick trip to the craft store for two 5x7 picture frames, two paint stirring sticks and jewelry box hinges and latch. Tom had to route out a little on both sides for the unit to fit snuggly. Now we just need to find the natural cherry stain.
Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1440200087993.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	104122   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440200129684.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	104124  

Name:	1440200174238.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	104125  

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #2

How did you attach it to the cabinet and do you have a 12v CIG type outlet up there?

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry I should have included the back pictures. The paint stir sticks are attached to the back side of the frames and then attached to the back of the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1440201525469.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	104126   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440201561131.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	104127  

Old 08-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
How did you attach it to the cabinet and do you have a 12v CIG type outlet up there?
Yes we use the 12 v outlet in the cabinet above the driver's window.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #5

What a neat looking project! It looks like it has always been there. How hard is it to remove while under way? Occasionally my Copilot needs to change the destinations or even yell at our GPS when it routes us in a direction we would rather not go!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

Ron, please tell me you didn't use paint stir sticks to repair Air Force aircraft! 100mph tape, yes, but please no stir sticks!

P.S. I fixed them in the civilian world, and broke them in the Army!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Ron, please tell me you didn't use paint stir sticks to repair Air Force aircraft! 100mph tape, yes, but please no stir sticks!

P.S. I fixed them in the civilian world, and broke them in the Army!
Tom says he has never used paint sticks to repair an airplane, but he can fix anything with speed tape and safety wire!

But when his wife goes shopping and this is what she brings him to work with, he makes it work. You know what they say, "happy wife....". And I am one happy wife!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
What a neat looking project! It looks like it has always been there. How hard is it to remove while under way? Occasionally my Copilot needs to change the destinations or even yell at our GPS when it routes us in a direction we would rather not go!
Just pop open the latch and it comes right out.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hit_the_Road, nice to see someone from KY. That is our home state. Family in Versailles.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post
Hit_the_Road, nice to see someone from KY. That is our home state. Family in Versailles.
We ended up here when I retired. We tell people that this is where the truck broke, heading west. Being from Versailles, you will understand when I tell you I was "corrected" when I first pronounced it Versaii (without the ailles)! The guy I was speaking to looked at me and said "Versaii,?!? don't you know how to talk were you come from? Where did you ever come up with Veraii?" I said, (spelling phonetically), Versaii Franc?, . . . Treaty of Versaii? . . . , Palace of Versaii . . .? Any of this ring a bell? . . . Yeah I didn't think so!

Anyway, they have Sweet Iced Tea in the restaurants, so what else could you ask for?

By the way, I like what you did with the GPS. We are in the process of doing something similar. We removed the head knocker old style TV, cut back the housing and are putting a cabinet front on to match the other cabinets and are going to use it for storage, but still haven't figured out what to do with the GPS.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #11

Tom, moving to KY had it's experiences. We were stationed at Ft. Campbell, and my wife still doesn't let me live down the time that, one fall day, while driving down the highway, I stopped at a farm house and banged on the door and told the old guy that answered that his barn was on fire, with smoke coming out all over! He just kind of looked at me and slowly said, "Son, you're not from around here, are you?" I couldn't figure out why he was concerned with where I came from when his barn was on fire! I'll let you explain to the other posters what was going on.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Tom, moving to KY had it's experiences. We were stationed at Ft. Campbell, and my wife still doesn't let me live down the time that, one fall day, while driving down the highway, I stopped at a farm house and banged on the door and told the old guy that answered that his barn was on fire, with smoke coming out all over! He just kind of looked at me and slowly said, "Son, you're not from around here, are you?" I couldn't figure out why he was concerned with where I came from when his barn was on fire! I'll let you explain to the other posters what was going on.
My guess is, he was smoke curing his tobacco. Or just maybe his moonshine still was letting off steam! My sister lives is Versailles. Tom's family is from northern KY. I call the mountains of Western NC home.
The air force brought us to Delaware almost thirty years ago, we like it here so we just put down roots and stayed.
We get back to ky often but not often enough.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post
My guess is, he was smoke curing his tobacco. Or just maybe his moonshine still was letting off steam! My sister lives is Versailles. Tom's family is from northern KY. I call the mountains of Western NC home.
The air force brought us to Delaware almost thirty years ago, we like it here so we just put down roots and stayed.
We get back to ky often but not often enough.
Yep, that was it! At least I didn't land a flight of 5 OH-58 helicopters and run up to the house to tell the farmer HIS barn was on fire, like a certain 1st Lieutenant in my unit did several years later. I think he ended up getting out of the Army after he tried for several years to live down the nickname "Smokey". Most of the other pilots in the flight knew what was going on, but being Warrant Officers, and the Flight Lead being a 1st Lieutenant, they of course, and rightfully so I might add, bowed to his superior knowledge and leadership in this instance!
Old 08-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After a year in Midway, my family moved to Versailles in 1968. My dad worked at the Rand McNally plant. We left in 1972 and moved to New York. I was ten years old. In all the time since, I have never heard another person mention Versailles. Distant memories, but good ones.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps