Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #1

GPS usage

I am wanting to buy a gps and was wondering what everyone finds that works best for them. There are just so many to choose from.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #2

I have been using the Garmin RV760 since before it was available to the general public and have been very pleased with its functionality. Very easy route planning with the internal app and it creates routes based on my weight, height, length. I update my map info every quarter.
cruisin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

The GPS question, seems to be a matter of personal taste , like the Ford ,vs Chevy vs Dodge , question you'd ask of truck owners .

Lifetime updates and actually doing the updates are key to getting the most from any GPS , looking at the route the GPS has laid out before you move is also important.
Most user say to check the GPS route against a map , and some use two different brands while traveling.
Personally I use the Rand/MacNally with 7" screen .
Many posts here in the forums about GPS , I'd say doing a search will get you days worth of reading .
Old 11-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #4

Garmin RV770 is the best I have ever used. Voice messages make good sense for the first time. It will help plan for high, wide, and heavy RV's and TT's. It can display backup and rear view camera outputs.

There is a more recent upgraded model than the 770. They don't run on internal battery for long. Don't plan on using it without an external 12 volt power source.

I use the free Garmin Base Camp program on my PC to plan routes. It works without internet. Great for use in remote areas. Then down load the way points and destinations to the 770. I find I need Google Maps and Google earth for some verification and for more information than Base Camp stores internally.

You must plug the 770 into the PC to use Base Camp. Very annoying.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
as the owner of a good sam/rand mcnally i would have to say buy a Garmin, i wish i had
Old 11-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #6

I use Gaia GPS app on my phone and iPad. $20. Download maps off WiFi for use offline. Has been great in very remote areas of Wyoming, Idaho and S Utah. No issues
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I have owned a Rand McNally for three years. I worked for about two years before the GPS started to act crazy:
- Show the motorhome off the road I was on and tried to redirect me back.
- Told me on Interstate 79 I was overweight and needed to exit
- Froze and lost GPS contact repeatedly
I called RM multiple times and got a variety of "fix" information. Tried them all still didn't fix the problem.
Buy Garmin
Polishilldav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I use the RVND7 GPS from Rand McNally , $ 199 Good bang for the buck.

I have it because of it's ability to program weight, length, height, and amount of propane being carried. It's map database includes height, length, and weight restrictions for roads and bridges and will not generate routes where it would violate restrictions that it's map database knows about. It also knows about routes that have propane restrictions and will advise you.

It has a large database of POIs (well over 20,000) useful for RVers.

It has a RV/Car toggle so you can use in your towed car if need in car mode and not have it apply the RV restrictions for routing.

My dislike is that there are a few errors in their maps database related to recent re-construction made improvements that are not reflected. Generally this is where a big interchange was recently re-constructed and what used be a left ramp is now a right fly-over ramp. When traveling thru cities you have to watch the freeway signs and be prepared for situations where the freeway signs differ from the GPS instructions and be prepared to follow the signs, not the GPS.

Fortunately the instances of this are few and far between but it's very stressful when it happens.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #9

Which ever one you decide to utilize make sure you purchase the Rand Mcnally Deluxe Motor Carriers atlas to compare. I always check it if I'm running somewhere new.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #10

Garmin RV 780

You’ll find many answers to your question, I happen to be a Garmin fan and own a RV 780.

When we travel, we use at least 2 GPS systems, one always being Google Maps. We have found GM to be the most up to date and dynamic for traffic, accidents, road closures, construction and so on. It's the best we have found for what's going on up ahead of us right now.
The problem with GM is it isn’t RV specific so it might take you down a street that's fine for a car but horrible for a RV.

We bought the RV 780 in May when we bought the MH and really like the features which it has with the flexibility in routing and we use the up ahead feature all the time.
It does a very good job routing a RV but is very cautious in the routing and many times we like to shape the route and that’s easy to do.

Lastly and most importantly never, never, never blindly trust the GPS!

Somewhere in a cubicle somebody (who has probably never been in a RV) put a set of rules together governing the routing and they on a regular basis are not exactly what I want to do good or bad.

Take the time to look at the route and make sure you agree with it before you take off.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Whatever you get, don't trust it 100%.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #12

Here's a suggestion. Get 2 different Garmin units and run them side by side. This allows you to test alternate waypoints, places to visit, etc while the other has the original destination plotted. It also provides a check to the route. For example, I use a 478 which is my backup boat GPS and a 770 which allows entry of size, weight and length settings.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Whatever you get, don't trust it 100%.
This is good advice! I use the Garmin Rv 770 and it works very well with it's ability to set the parameters according to size & weight of your RV. Google maps stay up to date probably better than any other system but lack the ability of oversize vehicle settings (best to my knowledge). No matter which system you choose if the unit tells you to "turn right" but the street doesn't look like you belong to be on it, that's where that common sense thing comes in
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on the forum and wanted to say hello! If I were buying a new RV GPS it would probably be the Garmin.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps