Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
We were just there! If you go to Williams, check out Bearazona great place to see bears and other wildlife. If you go west on the 40 and take old Route 66 you will find the Grand Canyon Caverns very cool if you like that 60s retro they have a great tour, restaurant, and campgrounds as well. If you like hiking it is the closest spot to the Havasupi Hiking trail. I have pics if anyone is interested. Also a little west of the Caverns is the Keeper's of the Wild. It's an animal rescue site that has alot of retired movie lions and tigers. I recommend the afternoon feeding tour, well worth it and a great cause!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #16

I went in early June. The days were gorgeous. Every day was sunny and warm. The nights were a bit chilly. That wasn't much of a problem as we brought heavy sleeping bags and a few quilts with us. We were in a conversion van. The park wasn't too crowded but that was some years ago.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Again, thanks for all your replys. What time of the year would people say is better: spring time or more into the fall time. I would like it to be somewhat warm when we visit. I know if before school is out or after they return the crowds are down. Do the nights get really cool even in the summer?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #18

Rexhall Owners Group
I would go in the fall. Late September/October timeframe. The spring can be windy all across the plains which would make the drive more trying. You might even get some fall colors if you wait until October. The days are sunny and warm, and the nights don't cool off that much (40's).
Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Forgot things to do....
Travel tine involved...
Petrified forest
Meteor Crater
Multiple Indian (Native American) ruins
Watch in the high desert, thin air for us, hiking
Sedona area
Painted desert
Monument valley
Been there done that"
#1 Petrified forest
Stop often and take the trails
#2 Meteor Crater
It;s a big hole in the ground and theres a look out; the museum is interesting
#3 Multiple Indian ruins
There all over, stop and be sure to read the plackards
#4 Sedona area
Take your toad and drive around, the views are awsome
#5 Painted desert
I was a little disapointed here, but you will be driveing through so stop and have a look
#6 Monument valley; super views, don't miss it.
Drive through; this belongs to the indians and you will need a indian guide to get off the main road
Stop at Devels tower and stay in the park (no hook ups but great view of the tower. Do NOT stay at the entrance KOA; when I was there it would only rate a 2 if I rated it from 1 to 10.
Enjoy----have a great trip
As to the time?
As long as you have; I took three months the last time I was through there
Old 12-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The South rim is the most popular. We've been there many times, but have never been to the North rim. I think the drive might be prohibitive to see both. The South rim is the main attraction.

You'll enter the park from I-40 at the town of Williams. It's a neat little town on Route 66. It has two KOA campgrounds, one at each end, that are pretty nice. It also has a very nice RV park Grand Canyon Railway RV Park | Arizona RV Parks | Williams - Sedona - Flagstaff - Grand Canyon RV Parks in the middle of town. From Williams, it's about a 55 mile drive north to the park entrance. I wouldn't recommend camping in Willaims and driving everyday, it would be too much, but any of the campgrounds there would be a good stop for the night before you enter the park.

If you're a train buff, there is a train ride that goes from Williams to the park. In my opinion, it's really for people who only have a day or so to spend in the park. You can park in Williams, take the train, see the park and then come back.

In our experience, the best RV park in the area is Trailer Village
http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/Trailer-Village-7285.html . As others stated, it isn't fancy, but it has full hook-ups and is INSIDE the park. This has several advantages. Going through the park entrance everyday can take quite a while depending on the time of year. Second, Trailer Village has a free park shuttle stop right at the entrance of the campground. This place is ALWAYS sold out so you need to make your reservations in advance.

You can ride the park shuttle and see the entire south rim. You could easily spend two to three days jsust exploring the south rim, depending on how much walking/sightseeing you want to do. If you normally like to walk or do some light hiking, there is a lot to see. From the campground, there is a half day trip or better to the west rim. It's about a 35 mile drive to the Tower (last stop) with several sightseeing stops on the way.

If you can't get a spot in Trailer Village, there is another full hook-up campground about a mile south of the park entrance in the little town of Tusayan, which is the gateway to the park. The name of the park is Camper Village Grand Canyon Camper Village location and amenities. It's nothing special, but the sites are big and they have 50 amp if needed. You can walk out the front gate of the campground into the little town where there are a couple of pizza joints and other restaurants close by. There is also an IMAX 3D theater in Tusayan along with a couple of helicopter tour companies.

If it were me, I would plan to visit the park in early June. The weather will be great and school will still be in session. We've gone a couple of times at Easter and had a little snow and pretty cold weather at night. Summer time is okay, but can be hot and crowded. Fall would be okay too, but everything is dried out by then and not as nice.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Very good write up Don, This is just what I need to read for differant people that have done it and what work for them and why. Thank you all so far, keep postd coming please. This is going to be a month long trip, our longest trip so far, so the view points and idea's from others will surly help me in my planning.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #22

If your retired; plan on at a minimun of two months, stop at mount rushmore and have a look at standing indian too.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
If your retired; plan on at a minimun of two months, stop at mount rushmore and have a look at standing indian too.
We are still working ,The plan is for a month
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mid-November this year - the week before the kids were out of school - was WONDERFUL!! We had our pick of campgrounds - easy access to all parts of the park and the weather was fantastic.

We started in Sedona along the Oak Creek, moved our base to Williams, toured the Grand Canyon Park (if you like trains, do the Grand Canyon line). Williams has tons of history and shopping/dining too. We then moved west with a stop at the Caverns in Peach Springs...interesting to see a privately run cavern (IMHO, less sterile than the caverns under Nat'l Park Svs control).

Other ideas; There's Zion and Arches Nat'l parks to the North of the Grand Canyon...so much you can see and do from/with an RV in that area.

Safe travels!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
We are still working ,The plan is for a month
I feel for you; there is so much to see out there