Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #1

Gray tank size? Can they ever not drain all the way?

Seems like my gray tank fills up awful fast. Is there any way it could not be draining all the way? Doesn't take long to drain. What size are they typically? 2007 Keystone cougar 276rls. 3-4 short showers and is full. Normal?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If ur saying the tank is full because the tank gauge says full, it may me an erronious reading. These tank level gauges are notorious for failure and inaccurate readings. Others will chime in here with methods to clean the tank level sending unit. Grey tanks can have capacities from 40-70 gallons. Look on the inside of your kitchen cabinet doors for a spec sticker with weights and tank capacities. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #3

I googled your model Keystone and the spec sheet states you have a 56 gal gray water tank. Unless you take very long showers, you shouldn't fill a 56 gal tank with 3 showers. I can take 6-8 GI type showers in my Class B ERA so I think either you are not getting the gray tank completely empty during a dump OR, you need to change your showering process to use LESS water.

PS---I agree with the above post. How are you determining your gray tank is FULL. I suggest you need to be highly suspicious of the tank level indicator lights as they typically are NOT accurate. Does the tank indicator show empty immediately after you empty the gray? This may be a good indicator that the readings ARE NOT accurate!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #4

Water backs up into my shower, won't drain. Drains when I drain gray tank. Doesn't seem like more than 20 gallons comes out but maybe it comes out faster than I think. Gauge says empty immediately after dumping. Other Guages are not accurate except fresh. That one seems Ok.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keystone

Lots of Keystone products have 2 grey water holding tanks but the specs for your specifically says 1. I don't know if they offer a second on as an option. But if there's a second tank the pull is probably between the driver side wheels.

The other thing they like to do is to push the plastic from the hole cut for the drain into the tank and leave it there. Sometimes the plastic gets stuck where it can restrict or completely cut off the flow. (This is a common practice across ALL manufacturers)

If you leave the drain open does water come out when you run the sinks/shower at about the same rate it's going in? If it does you're probably getting a complete drain.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Lots of Keystone products have 2 grey water holding tanks but the specs for your specifically says 1. I don't know if they offer a second on as an option. But if there's a second tank the pull is probably between the driver side wheels.

The other thing they like to do is to push the plastic from the hole cut for the drain into the tank and leave it there. Sometimes the plastic gets stuck where it can restrict or completely cut off the flow. (This is a common practice across ALL manufacturers)

If you leave the drain open does water come out when you run the sinks/shower at about the same rate it's going in? If it does you're probably getting a complete drain.
I have black, gray and galley. I've never tried running water with it open, good idea, thanks!