Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Gray Water Tank

Can anyone tell of a good product to deodorize a gray water tank. After awhile it seems to smell as bad as my black water tank which I back flush every time I leave a campground.

Pat F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Pine cleaners, any brand, just an ounce or three should have it hospital fresh.

bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by Pat F View Post
Can anyone tell of a good product to deodorize a gray water tank. After awhile it seems to smell as bad as my black water tank which I back flush every time I leave a campground.
Maybe I am missing something but where do you smell the odor of the grey tank? I have a similar situation in our washing machine. I can smell grey tank odor in it but no where else in the coach. I am thinking that it may not have a proper P-trap. I even smell this with the grey tank valve closed AND adding a Ptrap to my sewer hose.

I guess, in a round about way, I am wondering where you are smelling your grey tank since you should have Ptraps to stop that from happening. Maybe I am lucky and don't have that problem at any other potential source of odor.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try Pine Power. You can get a big bottle from the Dollar General store.

Below is an example of what it looks like.

Amazon.com - C R Brands Inc. 121 Pine Power
Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
You could try sanitizing it the same as you would the fresh water. Make sure you avoid as much food debris and grease as possible down the drain.

I like the idea of PineSol type cleaner, but the pine smell might be too much.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
As mentioned before, if your traps are working properly you shouldn't smell anything. That said, grey water tanks do build up an amount of solid waste and probably could benefit from an enzyme cleaner as well. We use Walex Elemonate just in case.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
To clean a gray water holding tank when hooked to full hookup:
Empty gray holding tank and close tank valve.
Then mix two tablespoons of Happy Campers Tank Treatment (53 cents) in a gallon of water for every 40 gallons of gray tank capacity. Drain mix into tank.
Finish filling with fresh water until you see it coming up into the shower drain.
Let it sit overnight.
Empty in the morning.
Very smelly stuff seems to grow on the tops of gray tanks and this will clean it off.

To maintain an odor free gray tank and working sensor:
Mix one tablespoon of Happy Campers Tank Treatment (27 cents) in some water and wash it down the kitchen sink or shower drain. I do this once every three months.

Keep water in your drain traps.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Smell is mostly around washer/dryer when gray water tank is at high capacity. Will try Pine Sol treatment first. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Pat F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
If you have a front loading washer, it may need to be cleaned. These types of washers hold water and over time can really get smelly. Look in your manual to see what is the recommended method for cleaning. I use a tablet specifically made to clean the washer. You may be able to just a run a cycle with bleach. I also leave the washer door cracked and the soap dispenser open to help dry out the washer. See if this helps since you have the odor even with the gray tank valve closed.

jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote

tank, water