Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Great fueling Ideas. Add yours to pass on.

I read these forums and sometimes just read so this thread is a suggestion for ideas that people have learned to save money,get good fuel and helpfull suggestions to share. I use diesel and nothing is worse than bad fuel,therefore my first suggestion is if you see the truck delivering fuel where you are stopping think of going elsewhere or ask if he is dumping diesel.When they dump diesel or any fuel the tank gets stirred up and is floating in the fuel you are pumping.They have filters on their pumps but the less they have to filter the better off you are.If the pumps are running very slow most cases they have not changed those filter in awhile again they may not be efficient.Many more suggestions are out there but I will leave it open for others to chime in.Have fun and great travels.jeffp,an old trucker turned camper with a diesel and fiver.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #2

Here is another idea and not to advertise but a good deal is a good deal.Walmart talked me into a credit card because they have 15 cents a gallon off per gallon for fuel untill the end of december,5 cents theafter.I put in 100 gal at a time and that is $15.00 and in my area they are usually the cheapest.Also keeping a Kroeger rewads card in my truck has saved me along with gas buddy as they were the cheapest and gave me another 3 cents off a gallon.Every gallon i get in savings gets me down the road another 13miles or more.Good luck jefp

Old 09-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #3

As a filter gets more and more use and collects particles it becomes a better filter trapping smaller and smaller particles. So I look for the slow pumps.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use a few strategies to save money on fuel for the motorhome.

One is gas savings that we get from one of our local grocery store chains. With their program you get .10 cents off per gallon for every $100 you spend in the store. It doesn't matter what it is, it's based upon the total of your bill. They also offer certain specials that give you extra bonus points - like buy 10 cans of Hunt Tomatoes, get 40 bonus points (.40 cents bonus). We don't always shop at this chain, but as when the sales and prices are right, along with the bonuses we do. You accumulate points over a 30 day period, with older points getting deleted at the 31 day mark - so you have to pay attention to sales and your points/dates.

We've used these points for fuel discounts quite a few times. You have to purchase Shell Fuel or their brand (some stores have fuel pumps), but when we use them it always works out well. On average we save about .80cents off per gallon - on a typical price of about $4.25/gallon here in the Northeast.

A couple of times we have saved in excess of $1.20/gallon - that worked out to be about $45 off of a $125 fuel bill. You can only purchase 35 gallons of fuel at a time, and you burn all your points when you use them. During last fall - winter - early spring, we were bookdocking and not using much fuel, so we filled the motorhome tank for about $150 over 2 or 3 fuel trips. That saved us more than $100 on that tank of fuel.

The other thing we do, and have always done, is save our cans and bottles (as well as any family & friends that want to give them up). In most New England states there is a .05cent fee charged per container when you buy soda and water. As we're paying this fee when we buy it, I see no reason to throw money away by just throwing the containers in the trash. We will tend to collect them over a period of months, and then do a mass turn in.

Last Fall/Winter we were doing some backyard boondocking in RI and while the state does not have a bottle law, nearly all the cans and bottles that are purchased in the state can be redeemed in states with redemption laws. This is really FREE money.

So from our travels last summer, and our time in RI last year - about 9 months of saved cans/bottles, we turned in just over $100 worth of cans that went into the fuel tank for our trip to the Pococo NASCAR race. Yeah, that's a lot of cans and bottles from us, our family and friends ... a little more than 2,000 cans - and a good portion of those cans came from RI where no redemption fee is charged on the sale!
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

GasBuddy has a free app for your iphone. Tap "Find Gas Near Me". No need to put in city, state or zip code. Will even give you directions. This is great when on the road.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

Greatest fuel saver .................. slow down ! I drive at between 62 and 65 and our 2011 RED is avg. 10.6 mpg.
Time after time we see motor homes go past us at least 10 mph faster.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I drive 55 with cruise control on and in ECON mode with my 6 speed Allison. My little ISB340HP 6.7L gets 15-16.2 mpg verified by my Scan Gauge "D". deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Greatest fuel saver .................. slow down ! I drive at between 62 and 65 and our 2011 RED is avg. 10.6 mpg.
Time after time we see motor homes go past us at least 10 mph faster.
Not all MH are geared the same, I have owned a few that would not stay in 6th gear at 65.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
I drive 55 with cruise control on and in ECON mode with my 6 speed Allison. My little ISB340HP 6.7L gets 15-16.2 mpg verified by my Scan Gauge "D". deSanford
That amazing deSanford. How big is your Motorhome ?

As for me, I drive the speed limit and use Gas Buddy plus whatever credit card is giving the biggest fuel rebate. I never buy fuel at the places that have Cash or Credit pricing. Remenber the Gasoline companies are not your friend !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Chuck 1935 my MH is 36' plus mirrors. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #11

Great ideas. I have another saver. My truck has the weight capacity for a added fuel tank. I put in a 90gal. In bed tank which gives me a usable 110gal. Carrying a total of 127 gal. This gives me a 1500 mile radius to picky fuel stop. Fueling in SC I saved 30 cents a gallon. I try to only put enough in to pick up 100 gal at the lower price. A trip into Canada can save you $80 to $ 90 for the 1500 miles. Along with gas buddy it works to save huge in some cases. Jeffp with a fiver and diesel.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #12

Wow deSanford, that fuel mileage has to be a record for a 36 foot motorhome.

Have you verified your mileage with paper and pencil over a longer trip? That is, can you sustain that type of mileage actually using miles driven and gallons consumed?

You have an outstanding rig.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
You do know your Scangauge has to be dialed in, my 42ftr was getting 11.6 in the beginning until I got it set correctly.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #14

My best tip. I wear a cheap pair of Crocs (but any flip flops will do) plus I use disposable latex gloves when refueling. I have been in so many fuel stops where diesel has been spilled on he ground at tyhe pump. Taking my Crocs off prior to entering keeps the diesel off the interior of the coach and the glove keep the diesel off my hands. Crocs can easily be washed for clean up.