Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #43

Water leak not likely

any water leak you may have on the pressure side would be showing up in the rv somewhere, it would not be collected on the drain side and then run to your gray holding tank. Unless it was a water valve dripping / running to your drain, or the shower head leaking to the drain , kitchen Fawcett etc.
A pressure side leak would be audible like a Hissing noise and would leave residue under your rv on the pad etc. or floor etc.
It may be your sensors or not reading correctly ? Is your tank for sure full ? or are you going by the sensor telling you so ?
I found a separate drain valve for my kitchen gray tank that I didn't know was there until I noticed my gray tank running over underneath the rv and collecting in the under covering ,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #44

Gray tank filling to fast

Our gray tanks says it is full just after we dump it so maybe as others have said you have something hanging up on your sensors or they are just working properly
cscottbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Drain your grey tank completely. Put the hose tip in a bucket with the valve open. Don't run any water intentionally for an hour. If there is water in the bucket, you have a leak. If no water in the bucket, you are overusing water.
Now THAT is a straightforward answer that anyone can follow
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscottbishop View Post
Our gray tanks says it is full just after we dump it so maybe as others have said you have something hanging up on your sensors or they are just working properly

Try this for a few trips. Empty both of your tanks. 3/4 fill a 4qt pot with hot water. Add 1 large coffee mug of a cheap brand of power dish detergent that has enzymes. We use the Walmart brand. To sweeten the smell, we add a mug full of backing soda to the mix. When this solution is mostly dissolved dump it down the galley sink. Rinse the pot with more hot water. Do this for the black tank also. Hit the road within a day or so after applying this treatment. Do this each time you are nearing the end of your camp stay. Don't dump till you need. The mixture will simply continue to work on the goop till it is flushed out. We have been doing this with satisfying success for several years now.
Happy trails,
Rick
Old 08-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #47

Are you dry camping or in a park with hookups? If in a park and hooked up, crack open the grey tank a 1/3. If dry camping check your toilet bowl level, it may be higher than needed. Use paper plates yada, yada, yada... look for new ways to conserve.😁
David2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I assume you have to dump the gray every three days because it's full in three days. You think you have something leaking into and filling the gray? I doubt it. However, all is not lost. Why don't you movew some of that gray water to your emptier black tank? Here's how I'd do it: Get one of these
I purchased one Of these and.......too late I found out that it did not connect securely. Much to my surprise and chagrin and embarrassment the nice new valve came off completely allowing a beautiful brown river flowing between my feet!! Now that it is glued on I am confident that all is all good.
So I advise anyone using one, make sure it’s very secure.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #49

Grey tank

Three long showers fills up my grey tank when I'm at a full hook up site! I like my showers!
1lasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's your water pump

I had the same fresh water filling mystery in my coach. Here is the problem. ShurFlo pumps have an internal check valve to prevent water from flowing in the wrong direction. The pump backflows at about 50 psi but when the check valve fails it will backflow at a lower pressure. This is a very simple and cheap device. If it fails, and it probably will, water will blow back into your fresh tank. Here is the solution. Cut your pex line coming out of your water pump. Use a pex cutter to make sure you make a straight cut. Next, install a Sharkbite check valve. Make sure the arrow on the valve points away from your water pump. You won't have any more backfill problems.
steve716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #51

Simple way to check

Easy way to test - Turn off the water pumps or city water when not in use. If it doesn’t fill up as quickly, there’s probably a leak. I figured out that my toilet was leaking (AFTER :( it flowed over). It was filling up quicker and quicker and I just figured i was using it too much. Then one day that leak got to be too much and the tank overflowed. I drive the thing as a daily driver and do not shower in it. Only toilet and hand washing. Now I can go a month or longer without dumping (I just continue to turn off the pump when not in use). If I left it on, i’d be dumping daily.
Monkeygames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
If you have a campfire drain some grey water in a bucket to put the fire out before going to bed.
This is something that recently dawned on me after years of dry camping and it works great. 5 gallons of grey water on the fire before bed is 5 gallons less in your tank.
I have always wondered why it is ok for tent campers to dump their dishwater in the brush, use their solar showers and let the water go where it will but RV's are forbidden to do similar. Believe it or not we have been told on the QT by a few campground hosts that slowly releasing grey water into rocks, grass, or brush is ok. Common Sense is the key.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #53

The wife and I usually get 6 or7 days out of each dump. Showers are water on wet down water off soap up water on rinse water off. "Camper shower" Use foaming hand soap. Water off to brush teeth.
If we have a couple stay with us I fill up the gray tank in 2 days.
rottendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #54

Gray water tank is full in 2 days, shower quits draining and the gauge says full. Taking showers for the 2 of us, we wet down, wash the hair, rinse, wash the body, rinse, done. 30 gallon tank.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #55

Not all RVs vent the same.

While I agree that mixing black and grey is not a great idea for health reasons, on my coach the galley sink is vented under the sink. But the shower and bathroom sink have vents through the roof. I just cleared wasp nests from each of the roof vents. But,, for the original issue. If your tank is reading full and you aren't up to your ankles in water while you are in the shower, then I would say you have faulty sensors possibly caused by oil or grease.
rd2callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhlee14 View Post
We are having to dump grey tank every 3 days. Just two adults.thinking we may have leak. Suggestion on how to go about finding it or other ideas? Thanks
You need to know your capacities. Let me use mine as an example. We have two grey tanks:
- Front: 40 gallons - Handles the master bathroom bathtub and sink and the washing machine
- Rear: 29 gallons - Handles the garage bathroom and sink and the kitchen sink
- Total grey water capacity: 69 gallons

The fresh water tank is 100 gallons, plus 10 more for the hot water heater, for a total capacity of 110 gallons, which means I can hold 41 gallons more fresh water than the capacity of my grey tanks.

Last night, I filled our fresh water tank because the water pressure at the RV Resort isn't that good. I also opened the grey tanks to let them drain. Then I took a shower. After I left for work this morning, my wife washed the dishes, did two loads of laundry, cleaned the garage bathroom thoroughly and took a bath. This afternoon, she tried to wash more dishes but ran out of water.

So, she went through 100-110 gallons of water. Had the grey tank valves been closed, she wouldn't have gotten that far, because she would have far exceeded the total grey water capacity of 69 gallons. See what I'm getting at?
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey tank, tank