Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #57

Years back Dad had me install a small drain near the 3/4 full point on his grey tank. 2 valves; if 1 was open the top 1/4 of tank would drain thru a hose apron. The other open, let it drain back to stinky slinky. Where allowed, he would run the small hose into bushes. On a FU site, the small hose would go to sewer, or just drain like the grey valve was open. But, when black was full, he had grey to chase it...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I keep the grey tank closed until I dump the tanks. The reasons have been well covered already, so I will not repeat tgem. If you do keep your gray tank open, you may do well to flush it every so often.
harrierncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #59

Open except the day before leaving. Then close to have some to flush the stinky slinky hose.
Kennedy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Those photos look more like mice droppings. Ewww.
They aren’t mice droppings. Mice droppings are like grains of rice. Round and hard. Roach poop is a splat if they have a lot of liquid in their diet. Smaller German roaches are more like grains of pepper but they are sticky.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robindeeter View Post
I've had sewer gnats. Thousands would fly out of toilet when I flushed. So nasty and disgusting! I was in Daytona Beach, Florida. All the neighbors had them. I never leave tanks open now. I was newby and It was my first campground. I called Tiffin customer service for help getting rid of them. I flushed and flushed and flushed tank. Still had some sewer gnats. Opened toilet flap and sprayed some wasp and hornet sprap down toilet. It killed the ones above water line. Horrible, Gross experience. I keep tanks closed!
In my business they're known as "Crypt Gnats"!!! That's all I'll say about that!!! Many different species, same family !!!

My TANKS STAY CLOSED!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
You guys who leave your grey tank valves open is why the rest of us have to smell the sewer gasses. No problem for you, the wind blows it over to your neighbors.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Both valves open 11 months of year when FHU's are available, no issues in 6+ years full timing. Tips - No paper products down toilet and add soapy water to slosh around black tank on travel days.
Not to tell you what to do but it is a bad idea per everything I have read and shared by those that didn’t, you should keep the Black tank closed at all times except when dumping. I guess you have been fortunate to not have an accumulation of mess in your black tank.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Tanks Open Versus Closed

Many forums have all different opinions of this. Some keep the tanks open, some close them and dump as needed. Like opinions, everyone has one. Do as you please and what you are comfortable with. I monitor the levels and dump as needed. When the odors get too much, I drop a laundry tab in the Black Tank and it helps improve the stank.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
42 years of Rving and always leave the grey tank open. Never had an issue with bugs or gas. I think that is more of a regurgitated story.

We have both a dishwasher and washer and dryer, I don't want to worry about water management and the grey tank level. I see too many people making camping more of a chore than it needs to be. Most wet bays are under slides, so that means you have to crawl under a slide to drain grey tank.

We've also been using the SaniCon system for 14 years. No need to rinse the drain hose. It also has a grey water bypass that is only 1/2" in diameter, so no bug issues.
Thanks You! Common sense, otherwise we would all be putting valves on our house sewers to keep them closed!
Jas415-1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #66

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We generally leave the grey open while at FHU sites. We have a good flushing system on the black tank which I dump each day or two. I turn the flushing system on and let it fill a bit then out it goes. Plenty of water and flushing power. I do put a “P” trap in the stinky slinky hose to block gases. We used to close the grey, but flooded the coach a time of two and decided open was the best for us. RVing for 30 years, now on the road about 6 months out of the year. This is, of course, my humble opinion.
Papaslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #67

Everything stays closed until full
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #68

It would have to be closed to keep "critters from the darkside" crawling into our domain.
Don't want no critters from the netherworld!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #69

Grey open, black closed.

When I began this adventure in 2014 whenever hooked to a sewer I kept both grey and black valves open. Eventually I came to feel it was best to close the black valve rather than let that sit in the line (not all sewer connections are air tight!). My washer/drier will back up if the grey valve is closed and I don't want to add that extra step when I feel like running a load in the Splendide. The one lesson learned in terms of the black tank is not to put wet wipes down the toilet. For years I thought the 5 gallons of water I poured down the toilet at the dump station would wash anything out proved wrong and I ended up having to run a snake up the black side of the dump valve and extracted a LOT of wipes. Possibly the grossest job I have had to tackle on the RV walking 5 gallon pails of effluent to the dump station as I finally cleared the problem. Not a believer that paper (regular) TP is a problem, but those cloth wipes sure were. So again for me grey stays open, black closed until I'm ready to de-camp.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #70

Highly entertaining thread....some good laughs.

Personally I don't see the big deal about this. Valves stay closed until full or clise to. Use lots of water in black tank. Use any kind of TP. This is not a big deal folks. Been rving with tanks since 1980 and have "never" had a tank draining issue. Again, I'm a firm believer in lots of water in the black tank. We full time and i dump the black about every 6 days and the greys about every 3-4 days.

Cannot believe that "anyone" would actually leave a black tank open.

From now on I'll just be observing this thread...I've said my piece. Do what you want on this topic...your tanks will let you know if you're on the right track.

Need to warm up my coffee.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey tank, tank