Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
srh

Newmar Owners Club
This is what I used to replace all mine (four of them)!
360 RV Roof Vent | Drain Master
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDeCamper View Post
We have a Itasca Sunrise 32V, and nearly everytime we turn the fantastic fan on we great greywater smell. We open a window as suggested by an RV Tech, replaced the sewer vents under both sinks, had the tanks steam cleaned, bleached the tanks and put in greywater conditioner in regularly. We are at our witts end as to what else we can do. Has anyone else experienced this issue and able to solve it?????
Thanks, Art
😩😩😩😩😩
Art, does this happen all the time, or maybe just when you are hooked up in a campsite? I have noticed occasionally that when our dump hose is connected to a campsite dump that the gases from the dump station can waft up into the RV. Because of that, we never connect the sewer unless we need to dump the tanks. Just a thought.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
The grey tank has to have a vent. The tank would not fill with water if air could not get out. Air admittance valves are one way (in) valves. There is still a vent somewhere.
Mel-s-----Since everything in the sewer system in this RV is not working properly, then add on gadgets or gizmos may be necessary.
mgscott4
I agree that the grey tank has to have a vent.
However, IMO it is always better to find the cause of a problem and FIX IT ...(than it is to put a Band-Aid on it).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a problem with mine and you could smell it coming from the vents under the sinks. As I replaced one, the others seemed to fail soon thereafter. I ended up replacing all three and no more smell. I also agree that there should be a roof vent also and if memory serves me correctly there is only one and its probably for the black tank. I have noticed that when I drain my grey tank, it goes very slow and then suddenly there is a woosh and they drain normally. Im not sure if this is due to the vents not opening until a higher vacuum is present in the tanks or what but it is highly annoying. I think they use the under sink vents in place of a roof vent.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I had a problem with mine and you could smell it coming from the vents under the sinks. As I replaced one, the others seemed to fail soon thereafter. I ended up replacing all three and no more smell. I also agree that there should be a roof vent also and if memory serves me correctly there is only one and its probably for the black tank. I have noticed that when I drain my grey tank, it goes very slow and then suddenly there is a woosh and they drain normally. Im not sure if this is due to the vents not opening until a higher vacuum is present in the tanks or what but it is highly annoying. I think they use the under sink vents in place of a roof vent.
mojoracing
Me thinks if your RV has only 1 plumbing vent through the roof it most likely serves both the black and grey tanks.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good point Mel. Perhaps it does. I guess I could get up there and put an ear to it while draining the grey. I hate getting on the roof!!
Old 09-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Good point Mel. Perhaps it does. I guess I could get up there and put an ear to it while draining the grey. I hate getting on the roof!!
Mojo--our Bounder has two; we replaced them with 360 Syphon vents a year or so ago.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I always replace the vent caps with a Cyclone Sewer Plumbing Vents. No problem with smell since it keeps a negative pressure in the RV most times even while boondocking for extended periods and tanks way to full. Cheap and fast fix.

There are other brands which I haven't tried that are probably just as good. I have no interest in Cyclone or Camco other than being a customer. Also, as mentioned, if running a roof or stove exh. fan, you need to have a door or window open for makeup air or it will pull from the tank vents.

Attachment 105436

I used this one on mine and worked great. On my vent system the gray water vent ties into the black water vent right behind the bathroom wall and I can get to it by removing that part of the wall because it is screwed in. All my plumbing and electrical comes through this area. I know each RV is different so go to your parts book and look at your system. That is how I figured out mine because I was missing one vent on top.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-03-2015, 05:47 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well Sarah, thats what I get for being lazy and just taking a look from the side rather than climbing up the ladder! I have two also.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:25 AM   #24

I do not have a washer/dryer but the hookup is in a cabinet behind drawers.The vent was leaking causing odors.Capping it helped.I also get odors while traveling from the shower drain. A baggie full of water placed over the drain eliminated that problem.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. Sarah W, this happens when boondocking or hooked up in an rv park. I never leave dump valves open. I have been Rving for almost 50 years and never had this issue until we purchased this unit. We occasionally have to leave our dog in the rv and than we turn on the fantistic fan to keep the coach cooler. I don't understand the negative pressure as we have 3 roof vents and are all left open. We have cyclone vents on both black and grey tanks but yet when we do this we get the smell in the sink cabinets. We have replaced both the air admittance valves. I'm going to try capping the air admittance valve inlets and see if that cures the problem. I may have to l look at buying those better quality vents on Amazon that Papa Jim suggested.
ArtDeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. Sarah W, this happens when boondocking or hooked up in an rv park. I never leave dump valves open. I have been Rving for almost 50 years and never had this issue until we purchased this unit. We occasionally have to leave our dog in the rv and than we turn on the fantistic fan to keep the coach cooler. I don't understand the negative pressure as we have 3 roof vents and are all left open. We have cyclone vents on both black and grey tanks but yet when we do this we get the smell in the sink cabinets. We have replaced both the air admittance valves. I'm going to try capping the air admittance valve inlets and see if that cures the problem. I may have to l look at buying those better quality vents on Amazon that Papa Jim suggested.
Art--I know how frustrating this is; we have had the same thing happen intermittently. For some reason if we have the sewer hose connected to the dump station even with the valves CLOSED, we can sometimes get a whiff of sewer when using the fantastic fan. I guess somehow the "fumes" get into the wet bay or something and then migrate into the RV. I remember someone saying to put the drain hose out with a dip in it to form a "P-trap" in the hose to keep odors out. Our solution has been to not connect the sewer drain hose at all unless we are dumping the tanks.

I read somewhere a recommendation to test the air admittance valves is to cover them with duct tape temporarily and see if the problem disappears. Naturally you wouldn't want to leave them taped up, but it might tell you whether that is the problem before you spend more money on new valves.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Sarah, I actually have an additional dump valve right at the hose and I do let my hose form a p-trap before I lay it in the slinky hose support. I suspect it is the air admittance valves because we have also been opening a window to eliminate negatice presuure and still get some smell. Going to try taping the valves shut and see if that helps. There are various manufacturers of the valves so I will be shopping for good ones, maybe those on amazon. Thanks
ArtDeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks Sarah, I actually have an additional dump valve right at the hose and I do let my hose form a p-trap before I lay it in the slinky hose support. I suspect it is the air admittance valves because we have also been opening a window to eliminate negatice presuure and still get some smell. Going to try taping the valves shut and see if that helps. There are various manufacturers of the valves so I will be shopping for good ones, maybe those on amazon. Thanks
I was able to eliminate the air admittance valves because our "mystery odor" was always in the area of the bedroom over the wet bay. When "sniff testing" the kitchen cabinet and bathroom cabinet where the air admittance valves are located, there was no smell. I had to conclude that the odor was somehow entering the wet bay and migrating into the bedroom, particularly when using the vent fan. Chasing an elusive odor can be quite maddening.

Let us know if you are able to solve the problem.

Tags
motorhome, smell, water