Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grey water smell in motorhome

We have a Itasca Sunrise 32V, and nearly everytime we turn the fantastic fan on we great greywater smell. We open a window as suggested by an RV Tech, replaced the sewer vents under both sinks, had the tanks steam cleaned, bleached the tanks and put in greywater conditioner in regularly. We are at our witts end as to what else we can do. Has anyone else experienced this issue and able to solve it?????
Thanks, Art
😩😩😩😩😩

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDeCamper View Post
We have a Itasca Sunrise 32V, and nearly everytime we turn the fantastic fan on we great greywater smell. We open a window as suggested by an RV Tech, replaced the sewer vents under both sinks, had the tanks steam cleaned, bleached the tanks and put in greywater conditioner in regularly. We are at our witts end as to what else we can do. Has anyone else experienced this issue and able to solve it?????
Thanks, Art
😩😩😩😩😩
ArtDeCamper
A search here on iRV2 for "grey water smell", (or "gray water smell"), will find many suggestions and solutions.
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 09-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

I always replace the vent caps with a Cyclone Sewer Plumbing Vents. No problem with smell since it keeps a negative pressure in the RV most times even while boondocking for extended periods and tanks way to full. Cheap and fast fix.
There are other brands which I haven't tried that are probably just as good. I have no interest in Cyclone or Camco other than being a customer. Also, as mentioned, if running a roof or stove exh. fan, you need to have a door or window open for makeup air or it will pull from the tank vents.

Name:   31Da-g3ra7L._AA160_.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  1.8 KB
Old 09-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Art,

One thing to take a look at are the air admittance valves in your drain plumbing under your sinks.

I'm far from a plumbing expert so take this with a grain of salt... In theory all drain lines should have a vent. However; this isn't always easy/possible. So, some drains have an air admittance valve that let's air in when there is a suction (water flowing down the line) but then close to prevent the stinky air from the tank from flowing out (into the living space).
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I use Odorlos, same as black tank treatment. Works for us.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #6

I just put 2 Cyclones on this weekend they solved my problem.
REV40C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put the Camco cyclone on a couple of years ago. I replaced the air admittance valves about the same time, thats were the smell seems to be coming from, it seems like they don't seal properly when the fan is on because that is were the smell comes from. How to stop the smell????
Old 09-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have the same problem with our coach. Any depressurization of the cabin will cause the stink. I have replaced the air admittance valves to no avail. I am certain that the stink is leaking in from the air admittance valves, but changing them has not reduced the problem. I've been wondering if there are better valves available?

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
We have the same problem with our coach. Any depressurization of the cabin will cause the stink. I have replaced the air admittance valves to no avail. I am certain that the stink is leaking in from the air admittance valves, but changing them has not reduced the problem. I've been wondering if there are better valves available?

Jim

These are pricy but effective:

http://www.amazon.com/Studor-20341-M...mittance+valve

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is what worked for me. You don't need to be moving or a breeze to create a negative pressure, a fan keeps negative pressure 100% of the time.

Lil' Stankerâ„¢ In-Line Deodorizer Fans
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
These are pricy but effective:

http://www.amazon.com/Studor-20341-M...mittance+valve

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Thanks Steve. I'll give this a try.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
This is what worked for me. You don't need to be moving or a breeze to create a negative pressure, a fan keeps negative pressure 100% of the time.
No add on gadgets or gizmos are necessary if everything in the sewer system of a RV is working properly.
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles
Old 09-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post

Great idea. However this won't address this problem. I understand that the OP's grey tank is not vented outdoors through the roof. The grey tank system is designed with air admittance valves under the kitchen and bathroom sinks. These air admittance valves are supposed to let air into the grey tank and keep air escaping from the grey tank back into the room. Doesn't always work too well.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The grey tank has to have a vent. The tank would not fill with water if air could not get out. Air admittance valves are one way (in) valves. There is still a vent somewhere.

Mel-s-----Since everything in the sewer system in this RV is not working properly, then add on gadgets or gizmos may be necessary.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, smell, water