Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Definitely the Weber Q120. It's the perfect size.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for the Weber Q!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
This has been asked a thousand times and the BEST answer is...The Weber Q There are fancier grills with lots of bells and whistles but we're taking about GRILLING and NOTHING beats a Weber Q. The 100 series is perfect for a few people, the 200 series for larger families or groups. ps... Add an extend-a-stay with the 10' hose for the Q... can't get any easier.
I've got a Vista 26P and don't have near the storage, but I carry both types of grills. The Weber Q100 and use the extend-a-stay hose and a good ole' Wally World $9.99 sheet metal charcoal grill. Best of both worlds. Order your Q through Walmart and request deliver at your nearest store and if they are doing as they used to, there is no shipping charge.
VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #18

Nothing like the smell of real charcoal and the resulting taste of burgers or steak.
We have been traveling with the same Weber Smokey Joe portable grill for years.
Hint for RV use buy one WITHOUT a vent in the bottom.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Baby Q 100. I added the side fold out trays and I do believe the Q120 is the Q100 with the side fold out trays. I do believe the new ones come with a temperature gage too. We have had ours for 4 years now and I bought a 5# propane cylinder for it. I have taken it apart a couple times and wire brushed the burner and power washed the inside to keep it working well and nice and clean. The burner does not have the BTU rateing that a Coleman does but it works on the principal of getting the cast iron grate real hot and it does a great job searing the steaks. When I cook fish (on a soaked cedar plank I will use a meat thermometer to indicate when it is done.

I am currently reading The "Long Long Honeymoon-Living in a Small Tin Can" written by Sean Michaels (and his wife Kristy-I hope i got the spelling correct) and they have and recommend the Weber Baby Q. If you follow the RV cooking lady (Evander?) she has a Weber Q200.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Another vote for the weber Q, with extender stay hose kit. DW loves it. That's the only thing that matters
Old 09-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a thought as I sat here after posting an earlier reply and reflected on how spoiled I've become on camp cooking and roughing it nowadays. Back many years ago, as a single parent I started camping out of an open pickup truck with a singles square dance club where most, including myself, brought ragged old home grills to the camp site and when I caught one on sale, I bought a Coleman liquid fuel stove. Thought I was in camping heaven. One of our group, who was really struggling brought a small four legged grill, dug a shallow hole, used brush and/or charcoal, and did some fine cooking in his cast iron skillets and porcelain coffee pot . I still carry a Coleman, two grills, charcoal and gas, got a stove, gas oven, convection oven, toaster oven and crock pot in addition to my cast iron skillets. Yep, I'm spoiled.
VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #22

We use the Weber Baby Q and like it to the point when we get home we take it out of the RV and use it instead of the at home monster that has all those knobs on front and multi burners. Weber works best for us but get what works best for you.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #23

Bought a Weber Q100 at CW in Oklahoma City last spring. My old,old fold up portable gas grill failed me during a family get together so I recycled it. Really like the Q!
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #24

Here here another vote weber Q
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
This has been asked a thousand times and the BEST answer is...

The Weber Q

There are fancier grills with lots of bells and whistles but we're taking about GRILLING and NOTHING beats a Weber Q. The 100 series is perfect for a few people, the 200 series for larger families or groups.

ps... Add an extend-a-stay with the 10' hose for the Q... can't get any easier.
Me too. Bought ours when we bought the coach over six years ago. The 1 lb cans are a PIA, the 20 lb tanks is too big and too heavy, the 11 lb tank is just right.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
My vote would go first to the Coleman Roadtrip. Small bottle, adaptable to large bottle. It's got almost twice the btu's as the Weber Q100/120 or even the Q200/220. It also has 3 different types of grates available for it. A standard grate with porcelain coating for normal grilling. A flat griddle for frying or doing things like pancakes, and a stove grate for placing pots/pans on it. Good for heating up a pot of something or frying up bacon in a pan when you don't want the grease spatters in the mh kitchen. The higher btu's help with boiling and cooking. It's also very easy to remove the grates and cover the under area with foil for easier clean up after cooking burgers, about the greasiest and most flame producing things you'll cook. I also like the slide out trays on each side, which give quite a good area for setting tools, plates, etc. Then after it's been used it folds up fairly compact to go underneath.

I won't say a bad thing about the weber. They're great products and it would be my 2nd choice, it's just not as versatile in my opinion.

We've had our Coleman for a year and a half and it performs very well and still looks pretty good. It's seen some heavy use with tailgating and camping. It's like a Timex.

We have a 2 burner camp chef stove also. Large bottle. Purchased from Costco 10 years ago. We bought a large Lodge Logic cast iron griddle for it so it can double as a grill when necessary and it works well too. It's got 3 times the btu's of the Coleman, so it's good if a planned meal is going to be a spaghetti feed where a large pot of water needs to be boiled.

Hope my info is helpful in making a decision.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #27

I use a weber Q220. I've had it up to 500 degrees while searing steaks. I also tried to use it as a burner for cooking bacon outside in a pan resting on the grate, that didn't work well at all. With the lid up it doesn't do well.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #28
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
This has been asked a thousand times and the BEST answer is...

The Weber Q

There are fancier grills with lots of bells and whistles but we're taking about GRILLING and NOTHING beats a Weber Q. The 100 series is perfect for a few people, the 200 series for larger families or groups.

ps... Add an extend-a-stay with the 10' hose for the Q... can't get any easier.
HANDS DOWN THE WINNER!!!!! I have the 200. Perfect even cooking every time!