Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
I've never tried pre heating with the lid down. That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip.
Best way, imho..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Tried a Weber Genesis before.. didnt like it for the price. Ended up with a big Aussie w/cast iron burners at the S&B. Still not the best, but 1/5th the price of the Weber and cooks the same.. and, can afford lots more steak

Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
For us, by far the best grill we have ever used is a Big Green Egg. We carry a Weber Q and a small Big Green Egg with us. If we are sitting still for any length of time, the Weber Q is put away and we only use the Egg. Makes the best steak I have ever eaten.
I agree with your assessment of the Big Green Egg (BGE). I haven't, yet, been able to justify carrying two grills in the motorhome. So, we carry a Weber Q220 and enjoy the BGE at home. We also have a Weber Genesis (natural gas) at home that's OK for something where quick is more important than good. Really can't beat the BGE for quality grilling; it's just cumbersome to carry in the motorhome.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #46

COLEMAN Roadtrip LXE Portable Grill

For anyone looking for a Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Grill, I just picked one up for $120 + tax. Sports Authority has them for $159.99 ($189.99 - $30.00). Here's the link: COLEMAN Roadtrip LXE Portable Grill - SportsAuthority.com

Then apply (ends tomorrow 9/9/12) a 25% off coupon (good for one item only), which can be found here: http://img.ed4.net/tsa/images/2012_E...es/coupon1.pdf and is being discussed on slickdeals: Sports Authority 25% off single item coupon (9/6 - 9/9) - Slickdeals.net

Unfortunately, they don't carry the Weber portable grills, so that isn't an option (at least using the coupon).
Old 09-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #47

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are those who say "Charcoal is the only REAL GRILL"... I won't comment on that.

I carry two or 3 or 4 grills depending on how you count.

1: Coleman Road Trip.. Unlike some up-thread I feel it's a tad.. er, anemic (not enough BTUs) but that said it fits, and I mean it FITS in the place I choose to store it.. I usually fuel it via a Marshall Brass Extend-a-stay kit. off the main RV tank, Very nice.

The second is a no-name convertable, can use wood, charcoal or propane. It folds very flat and fits in a bag.

Next is the PIT-2-GO likewise folds flat, useful in places where I have no campfire ring, uses wood or charcoal. ON very rare occasions I actually use it.

And a "Tripod cooker" Fits over the campfire ring, DO NOT recommend, Recommend the stake in the ground kind instead.

The one I use the most is the Road Trip.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for the Weber Q grills. I use the Q-220 with the collasible portable cart, large tank adapter hose and cover.

Amazon.com: Weber 566002 Q 220 Portable 280-Square-Inch 12000-BTU Liquid-Propane Gas Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com: Weber 6549 Weber Q Rolling Cart: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com: Weber 6501 6-Foot Adapter Hose for Weber Q Series and Gas Go-Anywhere Grills: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com: Weber 6552 Premium Grill Cover, Fits Weber Q, Q-200, and Q-220 with Cart: Patio, Lawn & Garden

It is one of the best we have owned.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I did have a connector to refill the little tanks from a 20lb one but this will be much easier.
I've seen those adapters and they seem pretty slick. Does it get the job done well for filling the small bottles? Do you have to lay the 20lb bottle on its side or some other way? We use the small bottles for our Coleman and for a lantern. 1 small bottle lasts 2 or 3 days for the grill and the lantern.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #50

Whichever type of grill you get, check out GrillGrates (grillgrate.com). They can turn a $20 grill into a real grilling machine. They will give you even heat, outstanding grill marks, and no flare-ups. They fit right over the existing grill on whatever model you are using. I use them on my $1,000 grill on the back deck and carry a couple with me for our small portable grill when RVing.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
I've seen those adapters and they seem pretty slick. Does it get the job done well for filling the small bottles? Do you have to lay the 20lb bottle on its side or some other way? We use the small bottles for our Coleman and for a lantern. 1 small bottle lasts 2 or 3 days for the grill and the lantern.
It works best if the little bottle is cold so I stick it in the freezer for a while. The 20lb tank goes upside down, connect the small one and open the valve. They don't get completely full but close. Oh and don't smoke
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Best RV grill for the money.....Camco Olympian 5100 Elite.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #53

Definitely the Weber Q.

Weber leads the industry in grill design, and they brought their design prowess to bear on the portable grills with this product line. The Q100 and Q200 both fit on the same collapsible cart. I have used the Q200 and the cart for about 8 years. I have had to replace the valve/regulator twice, but only because I have been leaving the grill in my motorhome through the winter, and the regulator doesn't seem to like not being used. I think that if I would store it in my garage where it is warmer and less humid, it might do better.

I can easily grill meats and vegtables for a family of six using the Q200 with room to spare. I think the choice between the 100 and 200 might depend on availible storage in your motorhome. The Q can use the little propane bottle, or can be plumbed to the large propane bottles. I plumbed connections into my motorhome and connected the Q to it with a long hose. I also purchased a 4 burner gas range, which I set up on a table under the awning next to my Q, also plumbed into the house lp system, and I do the bulk of my cooking outside. We often do large camping get-togathers, and I have the cooking capacity to produce food for multiple large families.

The Weber Q may seem slightly under-powered. You simply must cook with the lid closed, it doesn't have the excess capacity to cook with the lid open. I think this is by design, and frankly, you should almost never cook with the lid open on any grill. The benefit is that this grill will not hurt itself. Consider it an investment that will last a very long time. Always pre-heat, and always cook with the lid closed and you will be very satisfied.

I found a cast iron griddle at Harbor freight tools, which fits on the Q200 grate perfectly. This works well for bacon, eggs, and pancakes. In fact, with the lid closed, pancakes rise up so tall and fluffy on my Q, it has become my prefferred method for cooking pancakes anymore.

I consider myself a moderatly-serious gourmet griller, and find the Q to be very capible. It produces very even heat, is very controllable, and doesn't have a large propensity for flair-ups, even with fatty meats. The burner/grate designs complement each other for fantastic grill-ablity.

That said, if you haven't discovered Grill Grates (www.grillgrate.com), you should. These will change your life! The Weber Q only has one burner, so you can't do indirect cooking, which is very helpul for cooking fatty meats such as chicken pieces. With grill grates, you eliminate any concern of flare-ups. Another benefit is that you can grill using far less gas than otherwise. These things are fantastic! They will benefit any grill.

Cheers,
Rick
Old 09-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc
Nothing like the smell of real charcoal and the resulting taste of burgers or steak.
We have been traveling with the same Weber Smokey Joe portable grill for years.
Hint for RV use buy one WITHOUT a vent in the bottom.
I agree. It's either open campfire or charcoal for the flavor and atmosphere, and bacon and eggs on the Coleman stove for breakfast. Gas is faster, but if you are camping, why would you be in a hurry. I used to have a nice gas grill at my sticks and bricks ( well actually sticks and stucco ) and not much flavor without soaking wood chips etc, so I got rid of it and it's charcoal all the way. I don't cook out at home all that often though. Whatever works for you is the right one.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652
Just a thought as I sat here after posting an earlier reply and reflected on how spoiled I've become on camp cooking and roughing it nowadays. Back many years ago, as a single parent I started camping out of an open pickup truck with a singles square dance club where most, including myself, brought ragged old home grills to the camp site and when I caught one on sale, I bought a Coleman liquid fuel stove. Thought I was in camping heaven. One of our group, who was really struggling brought a small four legged grill, dug a shallow hole, used brush and/or charcoal, and did some fine cooking in his cast iron skillets and porcelain coffee pot . I still carry a Coleman, two grills, charcoal and gas, got a stove, gas oven, convection oven, toaster oven and crock pot in addition to my cast iron skillets. Yep, I'm spoiled.

You are so right. Unless anyone has just a basic camper, most have microwaves ( some with convection ), stovetops, ovens, etc. Wife does like her coffee first thing and quickly from the microwave.
Me, well, I am still CAMPING except now that time has slipped away, that comfy bed and nice bathroom of the TT has replaced the tent..................lol
Old 09-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill3111 View Post
I agree. It's either open campfire or charcoal for the flavor and atmosphere, and bacon and eggs on the Coleman stove for breakfast. Gas is faster, but if you are camping, why would you be in a hurry. I used to have a nice gas grill at my sticks and bricks ( well actually sticks and stucco ) and not much flavor without soaking wood chips etc, so I got rid of it and it's charcoal all the way. I don't cook out at home all that often though. Whatever works for you is the right one.
Ditto. We are charcoal grillers. We did buy a small gas grill to carry in the moho, but it has never seen the light of day.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote