Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #1

Grill: Which is the best way to go?

I drive a 40' Allegra Bus with a Honda Fit toad. Being a newbie I have not chosen a grill and don't know whether to go gas (small bottle/large bottle), charcoal, cheap, expensive, or just what. Am open to suggestions. Ain't this site just great or what!
Pat F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Shop Weber Q-120 Portable Gas Grill at Lowes.com

I spent a lot of time researching, this one is great! I love the fold outs, and the electronic ignition. Better than big grills I've had in earlier years!

A bit pricier, but its well worth it. I bought the stand and use it at the house as well as on the road!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Like this if you still can find one

Fire and Ice Thermos Grill by Char-Broil (Discontinued) - Portable Gas Grill Review

Your grill should be small enough to pack away easily and quickly, but large enough for that 1 pounder and eggs & bacon!
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
This has been asked a thousand times and the BEST answer is...

The Weber Q

There are fancier grills with lots of bells and whistles but we're taking about GRILLING and NOTHING beats a Weber Q. The 100 series is perfect for a few people, the 200 series for larger families or groups.

ps... Add an extend-a-stay with the 10' hose for the Q... can't get any easier.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
This has been asked a thousand times and the BEST answer is...

The Weber Q

There are fancier grills with lots of bells and whistles but we're taking about GRILLING and NOTHING beats a Weber Q. The 100 series is perfect for a few people, the 200 series for larger families or groups.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Must add my vote for the Weber Q. I've had one since '06 and it is great. Portable, easy to clean, even heat and does a great job on anything I grill.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I too prefer Weber Q grills.

The Q120 is great if cooking for 2. The Q220 is a little larger.

I have both and prefer the Q120 for the RV.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #8

Q grill!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #9

We just went through the same thing and this was our choice. It folds up nicely with a handle and wheels. Slips right into the basement.
Coleman® RoadTrip® LXE Propane Prill : Target

Using those small cylinders is ridiculous unless you have serious space considerations. We bought the hose accessory and use our home barbeque propane tank. Best part of this grill is the optional griddle for BACON !!!
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat F View Post
I drive a 40' Allegra Bus with a Honda Fit toad. Being a newbie I have not chosen a grill and don't know whether to go gas (small bottle/large bottle), charcoal, cheap, expensive, or just what. Am open to suggestions. Ain't this site just great or what!
Charcoal is bulky and can be messy to carry, so gas is the way to go IMO. I prefer to use an adapter TEE and run the grill off our motorhome propane tank. Our tank is on the door side, but you may want to rethink that if yours is on the driver side.

The type of grill depends on what you want to spend and how much room you have to store the grill. We don't grill much and we don't want to use a lot of space to store the grill, so I just buy a cheapie from Walmart for $20 and replace every year or two.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #11

I have had a Coleman RT for several years and it has been a fine cooker, however a years or so ago I found the Weber Q100 on sale (I think they were about to change models to the 150 which is possibly taller). I still leave the Coleman in MH because its cooking surface is larger but if I was to choose between the two I would go with the Weber Q series....very nice and easy. I have mine hooked up to large propane bottle to use at home.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat F View Post
Camping World has a nice, compact stainless steel grill which can use small bottle or (large tank with optional adapter $23.99) with fold up legs (was $89.99). Purchased one but have not used yet. Plan to use with 20lb tank.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #13

Pat-
Here is the grill that was factory installed in my rig. Fleming Sales - Grils
Go to the web site and look at the stainless steel Stowaway. It is installed in a bay, slide out, lift up, connect to gas, and you're ready to go. I have a hose that is connected to my onboard LP with a quick connect on it. Since it is installed to the top of the storage bay, it doesn't interfere with storage in that compartment.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #14

We bought the cheapie Walmart unit because we couldn't find a "Q" in stock at the time. The DW doesn't like it because of uneven heating. Of course, she's comparing it to the $700 Weber Genisis that we have at home.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote