Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #57

iRV2 No Limits Club
PatStab: I am NOT defending the group you encountered, but offer a different perspective.

My sister in law is mentally disabled, adult, 61 years old, and travels full time with us. Of course, we sometimes get stares from the "normal" community.

I have had the opportunity to explore this behavior, and found that often, people turn away because they are uncomfortable.

They do not know how to act around the mentally disabled, or are sometimes fearful of how the disabled person is going to act towards them.

On introductions, we explain her disability in a concise form. She has the mental ability, and attitude, of a happy 6 year old, and does not hear well. That seems to break the ice, and you can see the new folks relax.

Sad, being close to the mentally disabled community for over 25 years now, I have NEVER met an aggressive, or grumpy, mentally disabled person, although I'm sure they exist. I wish I could say that about the "normals."
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
Hey Mundo......you were exactly right with what you did.....life is way to short to have to deal with jerks. Personally I don't give a rats xxx about why he was grumpy, I'm not going to daydream a hundred scenarios about why he may have been grumpy. I'm going to accept the fact that he was and avoid him like the plague!!

Hhg
I totally agree with this.
nevercamped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by b22mundo View Post
After an 80 hour work week I would love to be left alone. We're newbies so I need all the tips. Should I do the same and take over the adjacent sites? Is this a trick to get others to not set up next to me and look for another site? Thanks all.
b22...
I think you may be a little too tightly wound up. 80 hours/wk of work will do that. Sure, the guy parked in your space. You asked him to move. He did. The attitude BOTH of you may have had at that time probably wasn't a good mix.

A very wise person once told me......if you see a person without a smile on their face.......give them yours.

Happy camping.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
tip#1 carry dog biscuits even grumpies can't turn down a treat for his dog!
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #61

I don't understand why some of you think it is OK to be in someone else's space. It seems every year more people think it is OK to be spreading out, parking in another ones space, walking through other campers spots etc. Over the years I have run into people who do all this and more. Would you think it is OK for someone to use your driveway, park in your yard etc. at home?
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #62

I agree Larry! Some people just have no clue when it comes to camping etiquette. I like meeting people and being friendly and sharing a good experience with the people around me for my stay.
However once set up on a campsite I do feel that is my space and don't appreciate people just cutting thru or neighbors encroaching on our limited space. I know the world is made up of all kinds of people and one guys idea of personal space is much different for others. Us Americans typically prefer the most personal space, but I don't aways lock all the outside compartment doors either. So people walking close or thru my lot makes me suspicious.
There really should be a campers etiquette class or pamplet handed out at check in. Being a longtime camper doesn't automatically imply these skills are known.
As I have sat in a long line at a dump station while the guy ahead of me (with tons of stickers displaying all the places they have been over the years) decided after dumping his tanks to clean his trailer of all the garbage and then do his pre-trip checks locking all his storage compartments etc.. Stuff that he could have pulled up 20ft and do.
I try really hard to not let stuff like that bother me. But when people act as if the world revolves around them its really hard.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #63

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grumpy is underrated and curable , it is not a bad state of mind necessarily and does not condemn the participant from being otherwise sensitive or even humorous given the right setting; it can also be and usually is fleeting in the face of differing stimuli.

Prejudice grinds us all down and can be masked as other emotions but it can be deep and irreconcilable.

Chose wisely.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #64

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I don't understand why some of you think it is OK to be in someone else's space. It seems every year more people think it is OK to be spreading out, parking in another ones space, walking through other campers spots etc. Over the years I have run into people who do all this and more. Would you think it is OK for someone to use your driveway, park in your yard etc. at home?
The difference between a campground and your driveway make this a overly simplistic comparison. Your driveway is your property. Until you rent and park in a campground the campsite belongs only to the campground. The fellow moved the truck as soon as it was apparent someone had rented it. I don't know how this makes him Grumpy. Sleepy maybe, Bashful more likely.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #65

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If we are truly going to give this guy the "benefit of doubt" as suggested in the original post then maybe it is OK to assume he had just come back from the store and parked it there temporarily and just forgot (sound familiar). He said "oh great" as a criticism of himself not anyone else and offered to help. Let's dismiss his demeanor as embarrassment at himself then see what we come up with.

Honestly to be so condemned for such as small infraction makes me like him more and more with every post.

Not to dismiss the reasonable topic of campsite incursion but I don't really think this is flagrant enough to warrant the condemnation it is incurring.

The guy let them play with his dog for gosh sakes is there anything more sacred to share than your dog : ).

Wouldn't it be great to hear his side of this?

Fun topic though.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #66

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The difference between a campground and your driveway make this a overly simplistic comparison. Your driveway is your property. Until you rent and park in a campground the campsite belongs only to the campground. The fellow moved the truck as soon as it was apparent someone had rented it. I don't know how this makes him Grumpy. Sleepy maybe, Bashful more likely.
"Site Occupied" sign works wonders. To keep people from walking through your site, use water sprinklers or fence in 3 sides of your space with a light rope or string of lights affixed to poles 3' off the ground.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Oh you mean something like this ?
Amazon.com: Contech CRO101 Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 03-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #68

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
My thought was maybe he had just parked there and said "Oh, great" at having to move it. The fact that he offered to help might have been his way of "making up" for his grumpiness.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
BTW/My brother lost his wife to MS last year and he was the biggest [moderator edit] in the world. My younger brother told him to get on with it and he seems to be adjusting a little but needs to clean his house of her and move on. Life is hard, I'm a Vietnam Vet and I try really hard to keep a happy face and there are times when I feel like I did'nt do enough for those who didn't make it. it can put me in the doom and gloom mode but I try to find fellow Vets. Lots of them out there. [moderator edit]
Thank you! We appreciate your service and your sacrifice(s)

It's people like you that have made this country the wonderful place it is.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #70

Hey -- If no one is next to me for a few I'll spread out. If some one shows up I'll gladly and apologetically withdraw. If no one's using the space why shouldn't I?

Suck it up! We're all having fun right?
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground