Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #1

Grumpy campground neighbor

So my wife and I plus baby excitedly took our new toy hauler out for the 2nd time in two weekends. It was a nice sunny Friday afternoon, and upon arriving at our designated drive-through spot there was a truck in the driveway and the next site over is a fifth wheel. So I assumed that the owner just wanted to get his truck closer to their door. I got out to greet someone in their camper, as I just wanted to be able to pull up closer to the connections and said "Hello, is this your truck?". An older man came out, without a smile or greeting, just mumbled loudly "Oh, great".

All I needed was for him to move his truck up further up maybe 5 feet. No smile, no "hello", nothing. My wife even waved hi to him without him acknowledging. I think he was solo, just a golden retriever with him. So he hastily moved his truck in front of his FW. As he started going back in, he said in an unfriendly manner with an attitude, "Do you need help with anything? I'm a pro with connecting." Naturally, I said "no thanks" (I would not want help from someone who really doesn't want to help) We felt like we were totally annoying him. So much for "friendly" campers. What a way to start the weekend.

The weekend was great, but I was avoiding him whenever he was outside walking his dog or when I was pulling my baby around the campground in his bike trailer.

We gave him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was having a bad day, maybe his dog relieved himself in his camper. Who knows.

But I say this to all campers out there: Be careful with your neighbors. Don't upset anyone who may be of benefit to you.

This guy could have had a heart attack, choke or something, and I (an urgent care physician) would not have noticed because I'm trying to avoid all contact with him the entire weekend.

At least his dog was friendly with my baby
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #2

Oh well, at least you tried to be friendly...

I have noticed that trucks towing 5th wheel trailers and toy haulers tend to be pretty large & long, and occasionally the owners use more than their assigned space for parking. That said, on the rare instance when such a vehicle is in my space, I have found the owner to be friendly and accommodating when asked to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b22mundo View Post
So my wife and I plus baby excitedly took our new toy hauler out for the 2nd time in two weekends. It was a nice sunny Friday afternoon, and upon arriving at our designated drive-through spot there was a truck in the driveway and the next site over is a fifth wheel. So I assumed that the owner just wanted to get his truck closer to their door. I got out to greet someone in their camper, as I just wanted to be able to pull up closer to the connections and said "Hello, is this your truck?". An older man came out, without a smile or greeting, just mumbled loudly "Oh, great".

All I needed was for him to move his truck up further up maybe 5 feet. No smile, no "hello", nothing. My wife even waved hi to him without him acknowledging. I think he was solo, just a golden retriever with him. So he hastily moved his truck in front of his FW. As he started going back in, he said in an unfriendly manner with an attitude, "Do you need help with anything? I'm a pro with connecting." Naturally, I said "no thanks" (I would not want help from someone who really doesn't want to help) We felt like we were totally annoying him. So much for "friendly" campers. What a way to start the weekend.

The weekend was great, but I was avoiding him whenever he was outside walking his dog or when I was pulling my baby around the campground in his bike trailer.

We gave him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was having a bad day, maybe his dog relieved himself in his camper. Who knows.

But I say this to all campers out there: Be careful with your neighbors. Don't upset anyone who may be of benefit to you.

This guy could have had a heart attack, choke or something, and I (an urgent care physician) would not have noticed because I'm trying to avoid all contact with him the entire weekend.

At least his dog was friendly with my baby
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, it really stinks that this kind of stuff happens. Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often. I can only remember one incident like this in all of our travels... and it wasn't really even as harsh as the one you describe.

Hang in there.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
In review this looks like jumping to conclusions on both sides and going down hill from there.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Oh well, at least you tried to be friendly...

I have noticed that trucks towing 5th wheel trailers and toy haulers tend to be pretty large & long, and occasionally the owners use more than their assigned space for parking. That said, on the rare instance when such a vehicle is in my space, I have found the owner to be friendly and accommodating when asked to move.
Yeah, I told him he can park in front of me if he wants, but he said "that's ok"
The pull-through sites were 70 ft long. They allow 2 vehicles plus the RV per rules.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #6

Just let it go , act as if nothing has happened you will feel better and he may see the error of his ways
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a family pull in next to me and start setting up their tents. They started setting up their 3rd tent at the edge of my awning. These sites were approx. 50x35 by the way. I was sitting there under my awning reading when I noticed what they were doing, I let them know, nicely, that they were setting up on my site. Their response was they felt they would be too crowded with 3 tents , grills, chairs and a picnic table on just their site. When I told them they couldn't the angry stares started and didn't end till we left on Sunday. Some folks don't understand the sanctity (for lack of a better word) of a camping site.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Other then the comment "oh great" and the lack of smiles and chatter from him, one should conclude that the neighbour is grumpy? And he even asked you if you needed help? and from that inquiry he is branded grumpy and is someone to be avoided? Is there something I missed? I think you were being oversensitive. I don't see it. Maybe the fellows solo and quiet is because he recently lost his partner, or he's suffering a medical condition. The quick to judge and avoid routine doesn't work for me when I'm camping. I bet if you tried to talk to your neighbour, maybe offering him an adult beverage or soda he would have eventually come around.....Maybe he's shy? Usually folks with dogs are good people, especially when the dog is well behaved and friendly.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Well, I guess I can classify myself as a little grumpy. Although I wouldn't encroach on another site, I may not appear very friendly sometimes, especially after parking and finding out something else broke on the way there. But if you can give me an hour or so to setup and have a beer or two, I will change into something a little more sociable.

I would say lesson to learn is not judge a book by its cover.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #10

Grumpy

Just some thoughts from a junior member but long-time camper: I never stop saying hello no matter what the other person is doing. I've found in my many years on this planet that it takes too much energy to avoid people, so I just go happily about my business. No one is allowed to get in the way of me having a good day. As another here has said, sometimes an invitation for "happy hour" goes a long way.
A thought on the matter of neighbor "getting in your space", or acting in any manner that's inappropriate. I've learned to always go to the campground manager and let them take care of it. That's why they are paid the "big bucks". The reason for this is that if a person does something rude or inconsiderate, they will most likely respond in an aggressive way, no matter how gentle you are with your words. This can never have a happy ending.
For the most part, "campers" are wonderful, friendly and generous people, which is why I love it!
Linda
outofdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry you had Grumpy for your neighbor. Be Happy it wasn't Dopey.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll offer a devils advocate response.

I speak from experience and it has taken me time and seasoning to not be quite so judgmental. One thing it has brought me is the chance to meet many people who on first meeting seemed stand offish even unpleasant but after a trifle effort on my part I found them later to be quite interesting and enjoyable.

I had a hard time discerning why this was such an issue. He made offers to help which you rejected. You avoided him; not the other way around. Using facial contortions and voice inflection to make such a determination about a person is fairly superficial.

Frankly, my assessment is you squandered an opportunity to know him better. You may well have been pleased and surprised by what you found under a gruff exterior.

If his dog was friendly and not harbored by him away from you that says something about him that to my way of thinking is more positive than your reflections.

When you tie this discussion to your occupation it makes me feel you may be a tad too impressed with yourself at this time in your life to be entirely charitable to others. I know I have been there, I like where I am now.

Experience is a dear teacher, much to be learned from your post.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #13

Sorry that you experienced a person that is unhappy but truly, don't sweat the small stuff. You never know the root of another persons negative attitude so don't take on that bad energy. His attitude probably had nothing to do with you so let it go. It will save your thoughts for better things.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by b22mundo View Post
So much for "friendly" campers. What a way to start the weekend.
I'm usually grumpy too. Extra grumpy if there is someone within 100 yards of me, super-duper grumpy if that person includes noisy little persons or noisy pets (noisy = can be heard).

I'm grumpy.....

Tags
campground