Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
GS Roadside Assistance

In May I was going to cancel our AAA membership and switch to Good Sam since we have a MH now. I like that it will cover all of our vehicles.

Yesterday I saw through a GS Facebook post that they are offering introductory specials this weekend. Standard roadside assistance is $59.99 and the platinum is $79.99. I haven't decided which way to go yet.
Can anyone here tell me what the renewal rate is for each plan? I can't seem to find it.

Oh, we are part-timers and will be just taking short camping trips for the most part starting next month so I am leaning more toward the standard. Fell free to make an argument for the platinum if you wish. Thanks!

ZMasterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Greg,

We have AAA for our vehicles and GS for our motor home.

If you get the AAA Visa credit card it will more than pay for your AAA annual dues with the discounts you get using it. When you get gas it will give you a 5% discount on up to $60 a day if you use it at the pump. This is deducted from your credit card's monthly statement.

Since all of our other vehicles are covered by AAA we just have the basic GS coverage for the motor home.

A lot of people say that Coachnet provides the best roadside service for motor homes so you might want to check them out.

http://coachnet.coach-net.com/cnet/GoldBG12-15-06.pdf

Good Luck,
Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Sam ERS has been good to us in the past. Over the years they have changed several tires for us and has towed the car two times. Never a charge and great service.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #4

I just renewed our Platinum (we've been with them for 5 years now) and it was $129.95

They've been good to us and we've got no complaints. In fact, we've never used them for the RV...has always been with our other vehicles; a catastrophic transmission cooler failure and a lock out). I don't remember why I originally changed up to Platinum (it was obviously the increased coverage, but, I don't remember whether it was the sum of the increased coverage or if it was one particular item...old age).

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks Don. I did a little more digging and your platinum renewal is indeed $129.95 and it looks like the standard renewal is $112.00.

I think for me it may come down to whether the operational & technical assistance and the few other little perks are worth the extra $20 now and $18 in the future with renewal. Not sure I'd use things like hotel/motel discounts, vehicle rental discounts, and car buying assistance.

@Jon, I'm curious as to why you would have both AAA and GS. Is it because of the AAA Visa or perhaps another reason.

Thanks everyone for your responses thus far. It is very helpful.
ZMasterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMasterFish View Post
Thanks Don. I did a little more digging and your platinum renewal is indeed $129.95 and it looks like the standard renewal is $112.00.

I think for me it may come down to whether the operational & technical assistance and the few other little perks are worth the extra $20 now and $18 in the future with renewal. Not sure I'd use things like hotel/motel discounts, vehicle rental discounts, and car buying assistance.

@Jon, I'm curious as to why you would have both AAA and GS. Is it because of the AAA Visa or perhaps another reason.

Thanks everyone for your responses thus far. It is very helpful.
We had the AAA with the Visa before we got the motor home and decided to keep it since it more than pays for itself in discounts on gas and other items.

So far we have never had to use AAA or GS ERS so I can't really say which would be the best. After reading the forums about ERS I may drop GS ERS and upgrade my AAA since some people say it is just as good.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #7

I think it came down to the "sum" of the upgrades of Platinum over their "standard" package. Granted I'd never use most of them, but, then again, for less than $20.00, the option to use them if needed was worth it to us. In today's economy, $20.00 is almost the same as yesterday's $2.00. I can remember going to the grocery store and whole bag (the old style big paper bags) was less than $20. Now a loaf of bread, a package of butter and a gallon of milk kills a $20 bill in nothing flat. Before I retired, I knew a lady that spent more than that daily at StarBucks... $20 used to fill the tank, now, $20 doesn't get you a 1/4 tank.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #8

We have the Platinum

2 yrs ago we got the Platinum when we bought our first motorhome. To me it is worth the extra. We've used their technical helpline twice. Both times they helped us solve our problem and be on our way. The first time we had our generator serviced at our local shop. They changed the fuel pump and did a general servicing. The next day after we picked it up we were headed out on a trip. It was Sun. morning. We needed the overhead AC because it was so hot. The day was planned to be a long one as we were driving 9 hrs. But the generator wouldn't start! So I called the technical helpline, described the problem. They had me describe what generator it was and then they told me about a little switch on the back that we couldn't see that needed to be flipped. It was sort of a cut off switch for them to work on it. Problem solved and we were on our way. Had similar success with another problem we had. So I think they are very helpful for beginning RVers or just someone with a new RV.

We've used the tow service twice also. The first year one of our cars had a computer board go bad. They sent a tow truck right away and took it to the dealer to get fixed. The second year our RV fuel pump died on Wolf Creek Pass. We got a tow in a timely manner to a garage that allowed us to stay the night in their parking lot and then fixed it the next day for a reasonable price.

I wouldn't leave home with out it. :-)

Have fun with your new motorhome! We love ours.

micd is offline   Reply With Quote