Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #15

To me and my wife, this is the most important part of the set up procedure. However we both decide to get onto the site, whatever hand signals, voice communications, etc., we use, once we are finally in position that suits us both, a hug and a kiss are the final step. This means that no matter what was said during set-up, it was not really meant and all is forgiven. We learned this on our second set up 18 years ago and it has worked ever since.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #16

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post

For back in sites, the signals are very simple. The signal lights point which way the rear of the coach is to go. One light is always vertical. The other light points the direction. Two lights in parallel means straight. Two lights crossed means stop.
We've been using the same signals and have had no significant problems. The only difficulty we encounter occasionally is when the front of the vehicle is constrained by an obstacle necessitating that the driver move straight backward for a bit until clear of the object before he can cut his wheels to swing the rear of the MH in the desired direction. If the person doing the signaling doesn't realize why the driver isn't turning there can be a miscommunication and frustration. We have found that the best way to avoid this is for both parties to walk the site and evaluate the issues together.

docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
You gotta be talking about my wife! Look up? What a grand idea.

We solved the problem by giving her a headphone set complete with microphone mouth piece and a set of laws.

Law #1: If I can't see you I Stop.

Law #2: If I see your mouth moving but I can't hear anything coming out of my radio, I Stop. (she keeps forgetting to push the talk button!).

Law #3: If you are talking so much I can't get a word in edge wise I Stop.

Law #4: If you see the neighbors and stop to talk to them while I'm trying to back up, I Stop.

She also has a stick the same length of the slide-out protrudes from the side of the coach. It's her job to measure the distance from the coach to that tree over there to keep me from getting to close. (gotta be careful with the stick idea here and make sure she doesn't get to close to you if she is frustrated).

Hand signals are confined to directing the coach. If she waves to the neighbors it can really screw things up if I am backing. She is trained to point to the direction she wants me to go. (one finger salutes are not an acceptable hand signal here). If she points straight down to the ground that usually means there is the cutest little flower growing "right here" and I had better not back over it or else!

But to train her to look up???? You gotta be kidding me. She is strictly a 2 dimensional person. Left and right, and backwards and forwards. Up is not one of her abilities.
Same here!! Never new two women in the world were the same.. Headphones are the only way to go! Used them when we lived aboard our sailboat! Helps keep the marriage and coach together.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #18

My wife parks and I direct. Usually works pretty well. People are impressed. She is legendary in our local State Park. 39 foot DP.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
... She also has a stick the same length of the slide-out protrudes from the side of the coach. It's her job to measure the distance from the coach to that tree over there to keep me from getting to close.
That stick idea of yours is a GREAT idea! I'm writing myself a note to do that just as soon as winter become spring and we get back out on the road.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #20

I get out and survey the area with DW.
Lay a bunch of tire trace markers on the inside turn.
I put the truck in reverse and the trailer tires are guided along the laid down markers.
The DW stops me where we determined the rear needs to be,
DW jumps in the truck and i signal her forward or backward for leveling the unit using the same markers relocated under the wheels.

If it is a real tight spot the role of driver is DW and i signal left or right where to turn the truck while i observe both sides top and back. She only move at my instruction.
You cannot imagine the tight spots we can park our 40ft trailer and LWB truck. No talking required just a few hand signals. No one helps except sometimes park attendee. Standing around with DW.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #21

My little lovely sits in the right seat and keeps quiet whenever the coach is backing. Otherwise the coach stops until she finishes her comment(s). And I do just fine. Thank you.

I even backed out of a spot with the car dolly attached once. The dolly turned right into the driveway like someone was steering it. There were people watching all over the place. To this day my friend parked next to me and others think I knew that dolly was still hooked on and 'intended' to back it out to the driveway. And I say, "What? You don't back with your dolly hooked on?"
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #22

Unless you a solo driver and there are no others around...never back up in an unfamiliar area without a ground guide. I'll do it into my garage, but that's all.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just remember that from a legal standpoint, the driver is responsible for the vehicle, not anyone guiding you.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I'm going to back over something it certainly will not be my wife.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:17 AM   #25
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If I'm going to back over something it certainly will not be my wife.
Working on a defense?
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
I take directions only from my wife. However, some campgrounds "assist" you to prevent damage to their property.

I watched a fellow with a fifth wheel drive completely over the water/electric pedestal in a PULL though site.

He then backed up over the new water geyser and ran over it again! I don't blame campground owners from at least trying to protect their property.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #27
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a res for a park that requires park staff to 'park' the RV. I know my training. I don't know theirs.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #28

We bought a pair of walkie-talkies for the times we need to back into a site. Marriage saved. Say no more... Now we look like a pair of seasoned professionals when backing into the trickiest of sites.

Here's what can happen when you don't use walkie-talkies. Hand signals didn't work because of obstructions and sight lines. These poor campers got their TT wedged between a tree at the front and one at the rear with just an inch from the body to tree at each end. Pretty good entertainment for quite a few folks at the cg. I'm pretty sure it was the DW that got flustered and got her hand signals wrong...

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote