Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Guitar Player

I am just starting to travel full time and wonder if anyone else travels and plays guitar while on the road. Either in campgrounds or doing gigs. I’ve been playing for 50 years and carry 3 acoustics and one electric along with a busking amp and vocal effects. I play for fun and profit. Mostly for fun since there’s never been much profit.
Barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
NXR

I'm just learning and my wife and I brought our acoustics along. Where are you stashing so much gear while avoiding damage? I had a hard enough time shoehorning two acoustic cases into the one bedroom closet.

I've been thinking about switching to a travel electric to save space but those are a bit difficult to find for a lefty.

Ray
Old 12-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a Blackstone 270RKS. It has a huge cellar and 3 slides. I also have a topper on my truck so I find space for everything. The guitars go in first then my wife and dog. Priorities.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:59 PM   #4

People love to hear someone playing guitar around a campfire. Singalongs are quite fun!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I'm just learning and my wife and I brought our acoustics along. Where are you stashing so much gear while avoiding damage? I had a hard enough time shoehorning two acoustic cases into the one bedroom closet.

I've been thinking about switching to a travel electric to save space but those are a bit difficult to find for a lefty.

Ray
Martin Guitar makes a small acoustic guitar called a Backpacker. Has a full size neck, but a small bell shaped body. It produces a surprisingly good sound and will easily fit into an overhead compartment.

Disclaimer: Though I did work for Martin many years ago, I am not affiliated in any way with them.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
People love to hear someone playing guitar around a campfire. Singalongs are quite fun!

Depends on where you're parked. If you have others around you, be aware of your sing-along. Endless noodling or people singing "Kumbaya" at midnight doesn't make for happy neighbors.
miketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #7

Guitar Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagrv View Post
Martin Guitar makes a small acoustic guitar called a Backpacker. Has a full size neck, but a small bell shaped body. It produces a surprisingly good sound and will easily fit into an overhead compartment.

Disclaimer: Though I did work for Martin many years ago, I am not affiliated in any way with them.

Yes I used to own one, good sound but awkward to play.

I just bring my Ovation and stick it inside the shower when traveling. Works.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #8

I usually take my baritone uke or my Baby Taylor. I have a Martin Backpacker nylon string but find it awkward to play.

TriMoot has the right idea with his Ovation. Although larger than the Baby Taylor and it's cousins, Ovations, with their "plastic" bowl backs are relatively bullet-proof as compared to an all-wood guitar. In addition, especially on the used market, you get a lot more guitar for your money. The shallow body Ovations are a bit weak acoustically (but great plugged in) as compared to the mid and deep body Ovations.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #9
NXR

Hmmm, this was a butt-post I cannot delete.

Ray
Old 12-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #10

I take my older guitar along for the trip, as I don't want to risk my good guitar getting stolen or something happening to it. I couldn't leave home for months without taking my guitar. I enjoy playing around the campfire, and have played professionally in the past. I have been playing for almost forty years. I play electric as well, but wouldn't have room to haul my amp, guitar,and pedals along for the trip.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #11

I have a Yamaha classical I pluck at occasionally,it stores in a soft bag between the drivers seat and outside wall. DW brings a Yamaha keyboard we store in a drawer I built under the front bed that replaced the dinette. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	269438
Old 12-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #12

And I thought my tenor sax took up a lot of room!

I usually take it, an alto, and sometimes a C melody with us when we go. They seem easier for me to play than the first guitar we got our 14 year old son nearly 35 years ago. I surely like hearing them though.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:36 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a guitar with me. As an Ovation player, they are perfect for this sort of thing. They stay in tune no matter the weather and are damn near bullet-proof. So far I have only entertained myself. I play most electric, so I use my Acoustics for practice and something to do at 1:00am as I normally don't go to sleep until 3:00-3:30am and well... rv parks are prettty boring at that time of night.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #14

On our trip last summer, I met several different guitar players along the way. In Quebec, we met a guy playing by the campfire. We introduced ourselves, and ended up jamming for about three hours. It turned out he was a professional French entertainer, and was in town for a gig. He barely spoke English, and his girlfriend didn't speak any English, but we had a good time. In New Brunswick, we met a father and daughter duo playing by the campfire. Same story, we played for several hours, and enjoyed a few drinks. Its a great way to meet people. Music is universal, and is a language we all speak.