Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, Al

Good morning to all. I have done it, I am going to be a snowbird next winter. Dec. 2015,Jan. Feb. Mar. 2016. I have made reservations at Gulf State Park. I have vision issues, I do not drive anymore. But still ride my bicycle ok. Being there that long I will need groceries and meds. I know , there is a Wal Mart about maybe 2 miles from the park. I was wondering if anyone knows if the bike trail in the park connects with the trail in Gulf Shores. I could easily ride to the store and get a store associate to help me shop and then ride back. If you know about the bike trails in that area, let me know. That is the only thing that I can think of right now that I would have a problem with, getting to Wal Mart.
Sure am excited about becoming a snowbird.
Thanks for any info.
Life is a triip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
Bill

Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bill! I think we drove through that park the last time we were on the coast. It's really nice, but no sewer hookups if I remember correctly. I don't know anything about the bike trails. Enjoy your stay!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

Yes, you can right the bike trails west to all the stores you want. Not sure about East as we didn't ride all the way thru the park. You can ride North as well to the next main road and there are quite a few shops over there. Very nice bike trails! You can even ride outside of the park to the west quite a ways ( don't remember the street names- you know how that is. Plenty of pamphlets at the park offices). Enjoy your stay!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks MSHappyCampers for the info. The trail over to the stores is a good thing for me. The no sewer hookup is going to be something that I will have to give some HHHHHHHMMMMMMM, I wonder if I could tow a blue tote to the dump station. Yea, I think I could, beings the park is fairly flat.
LIfe is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
Bill
Bill----WWJU
Old 11-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Docschro98, thanks for the bike trail info. That is good news to me. Now I can eat. LOL. Like I have missed many meals. LOL I remember when we were with the brother in law and his wife. We thought the park looked really nice. And when I saw some of the bike trails. WWWWAAAAHHHHOOOOO, it was going to be a good place to stay.
Life is a triip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
Bill
Bill----WWJU
Old 11-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

Here's the web site. It's a wonderful park, especially for snowbirders as you can stay the whole season. The beach and town are great!

There are 496 sites and all are full hookup.

Alabama State Parks
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi twogypies, thanks for the link. The part about full hookups makes me happy. I really didn't want to have to use a blue tote all winter. Having to pull it behind my bicycle or by hand. But if I had to I would. That would be staying up north.
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
Bill
Bill----WWJU
Old 11-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

Bill:
Gulf Shores, Alabama and the Florida panhandle is not warm in Winter.
To get to the Florida that's warm Jan.-March, you'd do better to go south of Orlando.
We were in Florida 2 weeks ago (on a cruise) and it was in the high 40's when we returned to Port Canaveral, 35 miles east of the Orlando Airport. I once saw snow south of St. Augustine.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #9

The winters are normally mild here in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.Once in a while you get a freak two or three days of colder weather. You won't swim in the Gulf but most of us here don't have overcoats. Come on down I think you will like it.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I am pretty sure other campers at the park will be happy to give you a ride to the store. You will make friends who will help you. If I get that way, I'll take you myself. It's a great park.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here's the web site. It's a wonderful park, especially for snowbirders as you can stay the whole season. The beach and town are great!

Quote:
Alabama State Parks
WOW, that's great! That must not be the park we drove through. Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #12

That park is probably the best laid out, and best organized/run of any state facility I've had the pleasure of visiting. One of the biggest too, though it doesn't feel that way when you're in it (thus the "best laid out" comment).
Old 11-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

Alabama State Parks
Yes all are full hookup. But many of the sites require 20 to 30 foot of sewer hose to reach if you back up to the end of the site as most do. Also the first half of the sites on Bobcat rd. can be noisy early in the morning when the 10 plus trash dumpsters are being dumped.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi, brabono, OOOOHHHHH I like it down there already. I was there in April when the monsoon came through, GGGGEEEEEZZZZZZZ what a storm. I can put up with some cooler weather, heck its still going to be warmer than up here in the mid west. It seems its always 20/30 degrees warmer down there. Thanks for the invite. I am planning on being there next winter. Heck I have been watching youtube videos of Gulf State Park for a couple of hours now.
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.

Bill----WWJU