Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #71

I carry a gun 24/7. At work because I have to, and on my off time because I know first hand what lurks out there. I do however feel envious of the sense of security some people have that allows them to enjoy life a bit more not being leary all the time about bad stuff potentially happening. I also feel very safe at campgrounds and it's the one haven besides my house where I can totally relax, kick back and not worry about that stuff.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #72

Don't go to Mexico with a gun. Canada you will have problems...Mexico...you will lose your rig, your property and anything else they can get from you.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #73

Wow, a lot of opinions here. For me personally, I agree with the "right to bear arms." However, carrying a loaded weapon on my person at all times (other than showering) is a little creepy. Looks to me like as a country we are moving backwards.

I thought we had moved beyond the days of the "old west".

There are many of you that defy rules. Yet, if your rules are violated you are the first to complain. I just don't get it...
Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Hi!

What's a crush washer???

Thanks!

Francesca

P.S.
Are there different "sides" in a crush washer thread?

F.
F,
A 'crush washer' is a thin, soft metal washer used to 'seal' (so as not to leak) a bolt on an oil sump.
It does have 'two sides'. Not only the washer itself but the threads concerning the 'crush-washer'. All sides are an attempt to be humorous and concerned whether a 'new' washer needs to be used every time or reused over and over OR, if one is needed at all! Views are stated and REstated 'til it finally dies out.

One need only to mention (crush-washer) and ALL the comedians, those adamant on a position or just plain 'idiots' come out of the woodwork,... much like it does when someone mentions,.... "gun".

FUN STUFF, huh?
michigancamper

Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #75

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHIGAN CAMPER View Post
F,
A 'crush washer' is a thin, soft metal washer used to 'seal' (so as not to leak) a bolt on an oil sump.
It does have 'two sides'. Not only the washer itself but the threads concerning the 'crush-washer'. All sides are an attempt to be humorous and concerned whether a 'new' washer needs to be used every time or reused over and over OR, if one is needed at all! Views are stated and REstated 'til it finally dies out.

One need only to mention (crush-washer) and ALL the comedians, those adamant on a position or just plain 'idiots' come out of the woodwork,... much like it does when someone mentions,.... "gun".

FUN STUFF, huh?
michigancamper
Some spark plugs also had them (they may still have them; I haven't changed one in years, preferring to let someone else bust their knuckles) instead of tapered seats. I won't give my take on them since the point is probably moot now and we do not need another contentious, endless thread.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #76

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
Wow, a lot of opinions here. For me personally, I agree with the "right to bear arms." However, carrying a loaded weapon on my person at all times (other than showering) is a little creepy. Looks to me like as a country we are moving backwards.

I thought we had moved beyond the days of the "old west".

There are many of you that defy rules. Yet, if your rules are violated you are the first to complain. I just don't get it...
There will always be some who feel empowered/entitled to defy the rules. Have you seen anyone driving above the highway speed limit lately? The small percentage of those with guns who blatantly defy rules are the ones who are always cited by those whose intent is to control guns. We have law enforcement officers who break laws, too, and that is not a reason to get rid of all LEOs.

Part of the 2nd Amendment guarantee is that each of us can make our own decisions regarding "bearing" arms. If a loaded gun creeps you out, by all means don't have one. For someone else who feels more secure with a loaded gun on their person, assuming that they are within the legal framework for doing so, that is their choice.

In Texas, we have a litany of cases where individuals dealing in drugs frequent State Parks and other more remote areas. 3-4 years ago, this was not the case. Faced with abandoning use of those kinds of places or taking over the responsibility for protection of my family while we are using them seemed a pretty straight forward decision.

The book "A Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker (who is opposed to civilians with guns) talks about being aware of your surrounding and giving into your innate "spidey sense". Those who don't are labeled as living in "Condition White". The rest of us live in Condition Yellow and pay attention to what is going on around us, accepting the fact that bad things can happen in the most unusual places, including RV parks.

As more of our cities and towns face budget problems and police and fire response times go up, more of us are realizing that we need to take greater responsibility for ourselves. I'm in the process of updating all of my smoke detectors and installing enough of the right types to meet current NFPA standards. I'm also adding security lighting. I do not believe that I live in "wild" West when I take steps to protect myself and my family.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #77

"The rest of us live in Condition Yellow and pay attention to what is going on around us, accepting the fact that bad things can happen in the most unusual places, including RV parks."

OK, now I feel compelled to say something. The fact that you live "Condition Yellow" leads me to believe YOU have a problem. Take a chill pill. Not everyone is intent on doing you harm and don't include me when you say the rest of us. I'm not part of your "us".

I do accept that bad things happen and I pay attention to my surroundings but I don't carry a gun because I'm afraid of it. The very best weapon is using your God given intelligence. Any fool can pull a trigger the real trick is not having to.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
One moment, please...

Quote:
Man, Nothing brings then out like Guns, Crush washers and... Walmart parking.
michigancamper
Quote:

What's a crush washer???
Quote:
F,
One need only to mention (crush-washer) and ALL the just plain 'idiots' come out of the woodwork.
michigancamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I won't give my take on them since the point is probably moot now and we do not need another contentious, endless thread.

Last one to post the word "CRUSHWASHER" in Are You A Thread Killer is a rotten Egg!

Francesca
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
There will always be some who feel empowered/entitled to defy the rules. Have you seen anyone driving above the highway speed limit lately? The small percentage of those with guns who blatantly defy rules are the ones who are always cited by those whose intent is to control guns. We have law enforcement officers who break laws, too, and that is not a reason to get rid of all LEOs.

Part of the 2nd Amendment guarantee is that each of us can make our own decisions regarding "bearing" arms. If a loaded gun creeps you out, by all means don't have one. For someone else who feels more secure with a loaded gun on their person, assuming that they are within the legal framework for doing so, that is their choice.

In Texas, we have a litany of cases where individuals dealing in drugs frequent State Parks and other more remote areas. 3-4 years ago, this was not the case. Faced with abandoning use of those kinds of places or taking over the responsibility for protection of my family while we are using them seemed a pretty straight forward decision.

The book "A Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker (who is opposed to civilians with guns) talks about being aware of your surrounding and giving into your innate "spidey sense". Those who don't are labeled as living in "Condition White". The rest of us live in Condition Yellow and pay attention to what is going on around us, accepting the fact that bad things can happen in the most unusual places, including RV parks.

As more of our cities and towns face budget problems and police and fire response times go up, more of us are realizing that we need to take greater responsibility for ourselves. I'm in the process of updating all of my smoke detectors and installing enough of the right types to meet current NFPA standards. I'm also adding security lighting. I do not believe that I live in "wild" West when I take steps to protect myself and my family.
You have already said "As more of our cities and towns face budget problems and police and fire response times go up, more of us are realizing that we need to take greater responsibility for ourselves." So what's the answer going to be for your children? What is their recipe for survival going to be? Pass gun laws so that they can legally carry M16's over their shoulder while walking down the street or going to the grocery store?

Sorry but, citizens walking around with weapons (licensed or not) on their person almost 24/7 sounds like the "wild" west to me. Shoot'em up cowboy..
Old 09-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #80

I carry every where it's legal to do so, I do not go where it's not legal to do so. I do not do it because I believe everyone is out to get me, I do it because I want to protect my family. I do not watch every single person like a hawk around me, but I am aware of my surroundings. I believe you should be properly trained and familiar with your choice of firearm, not flashing or showing off to be seen. I have had to use my weapon to protect my family. My wife called 911 while my mother called me, I got there 15 minutes before the LEOs did because I was in the barn nearby. The sight of the pistol was enough to end the situation, he was captured down the street after running from my house still clutching his knife. I do not blame the LEOs at all, the first one on scene was my cousin. They cover a large amount of area with minimal resources. It's your personal choice to carry or not to carry, that's what is GREAT about this country, freedom of choice. I do not think everyone should be forced to carry because I thinks it's safer. Nor do I believe it's anyone's right to force there opinions on me not to carry. You do what you think is best for your family and I will do what I think is best for mine. We can still sit around the campfire and tell fishing lies and be friends.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #81

Vintage RV Owners Club
Whoa, Rdh605...

Back up a little!
You've left a lot out...
What led to this situation?
Was it somebody you know, or a complete out-of-nowhere stranger menacing your wife and mother?
How'd the bad guy get in the house/yard/car/whatever?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 09-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #82

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
Pass gun laws so that they can legally carry M16's over their shoulder while walking down the street or going to the grocery store?

Sorry but, citizens walking around with weapons (licensed or not) on their person almost 24/7 sounds like the "wild" west to me. Shoot'em up cowboy..
Actually those laws exist in a lot of areas now like here in WA state. It's also legal to openly carry a loaded pistol.

The "wild" west and "Shootem'em cowboy" lines have been used for years by anti-gun nuts that don't read the FBI statistics that show areas with concealed permits and lots of guns have lower crime rates than areas with very strict gun restrictions.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #83

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Whoa, Rdh605...

Back up a little!
You've left a lot out...
What led to this situation?
Was it somebody you know, or a complete out-of-nowhere stranger menacing your wife and mother?
How'd the bad guy get in the house/yard/car/whatever?

Thanks!

Francesca
I have also had to show I was armed. It was in my MH in Wyoming at a rest stop. No shots fired and they left as soon as they say I could (and would) protect myself.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #84

Vintage RV Owners Club
But what happened that made it necessary to draw the gun?
It's really hard to judge whether one ought to carry a gun without details of these situations...

Francesca