Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Yellowreef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 228
I carry a gun 24/7. At work because I have to, and on my off time because I know first hand what lurks out there. I do however feel envious of the sense of security some people have that allows them to enjoy life a bit more not being leary all the time about bad stuff potentially happening. I also feel very safe at campgrounds and it's the one haven besides my house where I can totally relax, kick back and not worry about that stuff.
__________________

__________________
Yellowreef is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
2912N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 120
Don't go to Mexico with a gun. Canada you will have problems...Mexico...you will lose your rig, your property and anything else they can get from you.
__________________

__________________
2017 Winnie 28sgs 5th wheel
wife and cat
2912N is offline  
Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
randco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 604
Wow, a lot of opinions here. For me personally, I agree with the "right to bear arms." However, carrying a loaded weapon on my person at all times (other than showering) is a little creepy. Looks to me like as a country we are moving backwards.

I thought we had moved beyond the days of the "old west".

There are many of you that defy rules. Yet, if your rules are violated you are the first to complain. I just don't get it...
__________________
2004 Damon Escaper 4076
randco is offline  
Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Caledonia, MI USA
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Hi!

What's a crush washer???

Thanks!

Francesca

P.S.
Are there different "sides" in a crush washer thread?

F.
F,
A 'crush washer' is a thin, soft metal washer used to 'seal' (so as not to leak) a bolt on an oil sump.
It does have 'two sides'. Not only the washer itself but the threads concerning the 'crush-washer'. All sides are an attempt to be humorous and concerned whether a 'new' washer needs to be used every time or reused over and over OR, if one is needed at all! Views are stated and REstated 'til it finally dies out.

One need only to mention (crush-washer) and ALL the comedians, those adamant on a position or just plain 'idiots' come out of the woodwork,... much like it does when someone mentions,.... "gun".

FUN STUFF, huh?
michigancamper

__________________
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline  
Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHIGAN CAMPER View Post
F,
A 'crush washer' is a thin, soft metal washer used to 'seal' (so as not to leak) a bolt on an oil sump.
It does have 'two sides'. Not only the washer itself but the threads concerning the 'crush-washer'. All sides are an attempt to be humorous and concerned whether a 'new' washer needs to be used every time or reused over and over OR, if one is needed at all! Views are stated and REstated 'til it finally dies out.

One need only to mention (crush-washer) and ALL the comedians, those adamant on a position or just plain 'idiots' come out of the woodwork,... much like it does when someone mentions,.... "gun".

FUN STUFF, huh?
michigancamper
Some spark plugs also had them (they may still have them; I haven't changed one in years, preferring to let someone else bust their knuckles) instead of tapered seats. I won't give my take on them since the point is probably moot now and we do not need another contentious, endless thread.
__________________
LadyFitz... is offline  
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
chasfm11's Avatar
 
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DFW Area, TX
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
Wow, a lot of opinions here. For me personally, I agree with the "right to bear arms." However, carrying a loaded weapon on my person at all times (other than showering) is a little creepy. Looks to me like as a country we are moving backwards.

I thought we had moved beyond the days of the "old west".

There are many of you that defy rules. Yet, if your rules are violated you are the first to complain. I just don't get it...
There will always be some who feel empowered/entitled to defy the rules. Have you seen anyone driving above the highway speed limit lately? The small percentage of those with guns who blatantly defy rules are the ones who are always cited by those whose intent is to control guns. We have law enforcement officers who break laws, too, and that is not a reason to get rid of all LEOs.

Part of the 2nd Amendment guarantee is that each of us can make our own decisions regarding "bearing" arms. If a loaded gun creeps you out, by all means don't have one. For someone else who feels more secure with a loaded gun on their person, assuming that they are within the legal framework for doing so, that is their choice.

In Texas, we have a litany of cases where individuals dealing in drugs frequent State Parks and other more remote areas. 3-4 years ago, this was not the case. Faced with abandoning use of those kinds of places or taking over the responsibility for protection of my family while we are using them seemed a pretty straight forward decision.

The book "A Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker (who is opposed to civilians with guns) talks about being aware of your surrounding and giving into your innate "spidey sense". Those who don't are labeled as living in "Condition White". The rest of us live in Condition Yellow and pay attention to what is going on around us, accepting the fact that bad things can happen in the most unusual places, including RV parks.

As more of our cities and towns face budget problems and police and fire response times go up, more of us are realizing that we need to take greater responsibility for ourselves. I'm in the process of updating all of my smoke detectors and installing enough of the right types to meet current NFPA standards. I'm also adding security lighting. I do not believe that I live in "wild" West when I take steps to protect myself and my family.
__________________
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
KF5-NJY
chasfm11 is offline  
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Walnut Creek Ca USA
Posts: 641
"The rest of us live in Condition Yellow and pay attention to what is going on around us, accepting the fact that bad things can happen in the most unusual places, including RV parks."

OK, now I feel compelled to say something. The fact that you live "Condition Yellow" leads me to believe YOU have a problem. Take a chill pill. Not everyone is intent on doing you harm and don't include me when you say the rest of us. I'm not part of your "us".

I do accept that bad things happen and I pay attention to my surroundings but I don't carry a gun because I'm afraid of it. The very best weapon is using your God given intelligence. Any fool can pull a trigger the real trick is not having to.
-Paul R. Haller-
__________________
Paul R. Haller is offline  
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
One moment, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHIGAN CAMPER View Post
Man, Nothing brings then out like Guns, Crush washers and... Walmart parking.
michigancamper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

What's a crush washer???
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHIGAN CAMPER View Post
F,
One need only to mention (crush-washer) and ALL the just plain 'idiots' come out of the woodwork.
michigancamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I won't give my take on them since the point is probably moot now and we do not need another contentious, endless thread.


Last one to post the word "CRUSHWASHER" in Are You A Thread Killer is a rotten Egg!

Francesca
__________________
Francesca is offline  
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
randco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
There will always be some who feel empowered/entitled to defy the rules. Have you seen anyone driving above the highway speed limit lately? The small percentage of those with guns who blatantly defy rules are the ones who are always cited by those whose intent is to control guns. We have law enforcement officers who break laws, too, and that is not a reason to get rid of all LEOs.

Part of the 2nd Amendment guarantee is that each of us can make our own decisions regarding "bearing" arms. If a loaded gun creeps you out, by all means don't have one. For someone else who feels more secure with a loaded gun on their person, assuming that they are within the legal framework for doing so, that is their choice.

In Texas, we have a litany of cases where individuals dealing in drugs frequent State Parks and other more remote areas. 3-4 years ago, this was not the case. Faced with abandoning use of those kinds of places or taking over the responsibility for protection of my family while we are using them seemed a pretty straight forward decision.

The book "A Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker (who is opposed to civilians with guns) talks about being aware of your surrounding and giving into your innate "spidey sense". Those who don't are labeled as living in "Condition White". The rest of us live in Condition Yellow and pay attention to what is going on around us, accepting the fact that bad things can happen in the most unusual places, including RV parks.

As more of our cities and towns face budget problems and police and fire response times go up, more of us are realizing that we need to take greater responsibility for ourselves. I'm in the process of updating all of my smoke detectors and installing enough of the right types to meet current NFPA standards. I'm also adding security lighting. I do not believe that I live in "wild" West when I take steps to protect myself and my family.
You have already said "As more of our cities and towns face budget problems and police and fire response times go up, more of us are realizing that we need to take greater responsibility for ourselves." So what's the answer going to be for your children? What is their recipe for survival going to be? Pass gun laws so that they can legally carry M16's over their shoulder while walking down the street or going to the grocery store?

Sorry but, citizens walking around with weapons (licensed or not) on their person almost 24/7 sounds like the "wild" west to me. Shoot'em up cowboy..
__________________
2004 Damon Escaper 4076
randco is offline  
Old 09-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #80
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
I carry every where it's legal to do so, I do not go where it's not legal to do so. I do not do it because I believe everyone is out to get me, I do it because I want to protect my family. I do not watch every single person like a hawk around me, but I am aware of my surroundings. I believe you should be properly trained and familiar with your choice of firearm, not flashing or showing off to be seen. I have had to use my weapon to protect my family. My wife called 911 while my mother called me, I got there 15 minutes before the LEOs did because I was in the barn nearby. The sight of the pistol was enough to end the situation, he was captured down the street after running from my house still clutching his knife. I do not blame the LEOs at all, the first one on scene was my cousin. They cover a large amount of area with minimal resources. It's your personal choice to carry or not to carry, that's what is GREAT about this country, freedom of choice. I do not think everyone should be forced to carry because I thinks it's safer. Nor do I believe it's anyone's right to force there opinions on me not to carry. You do what you think is best for your family and I will do what I think is best for mine. We can still sit around the campfire and tell fishing lies and be friends.
__________________
Rdh605 is offline  
Old 09-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
Whoa, Rdh605...

Back up a little!
You've left a lot out...
What led to this situation?
Was it somebody you know, or a complete out-of-nowhere stranger menacing your wife and mother?
How'd the bad guy get in the house/yard/car/whatever?

Thanks!

Francesca
__________________
Francesca is offline  
Old 09-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
Pass gun laws so that they can legally carry M16's over their shoulder while walking down the street or going to the grocery store?

Sorry but, citizens walking around with weapons (licensed or not) on their person almost 24/7 sounds like the "wild" west to me. Shoot'em up cowboy..
Actually those laws exist in a lot of areas now like here in WA state. It's also legal to openly carry a loaded pistol.

The "wild" west and "Shootem'em cowboy" lines have been used for years by anti-gun nuts that don't read the FBI statistics that show areas with concealed permits and lots of guns have lower crime rates than areas with very strict gun restrictions.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now  
Old 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Whoa, Rdh605...

Back up a little!
You've left a lot out...
What led to this situation?
Was it somebody you know, or a complete out-of-nowhere stranger menacing your wife and mother?
How'd the bad guy get in the house/yard/car/whatever?

Thanks!

Francesca
I have also had to show I was armed. It was in my MH in Wyoming at a rest stop. No shots fired and they left as soon as they say I could (and would) protect myself.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now  
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
But what happened that made it necessary to draw the gun?
It's really hard to judge whether one ought to carry a gun without details of these situations...

Francesca
__________________

__________________
Francesca is offline  
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guns Boomer Express Solo RV'ers 45 12-02-2011 09:16 PM
Guns Banned at State Parks Always-RVing iRV2.com General Discussion 67 12-28-2010 05:24 PM
Down Ole Mexico Way Orchardhill Navigation, Routes & Roads 55 11-30-2010 06:51 PM
FedEx Shot guns? caymandave Just Conversation 7 07-20-2009 09:08 PM
Guns ? OB n Sue Military / Veteran RVing 19 09-29-2007 11:47 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.