Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Guns

[QUOTE=johnboy545;758909]As of Jan 1 of last year people with gun licenses can carry handguns in all the Florida State parks..........Before that it was illegal..........
I carry a handgun everywhere .........I will not be a victim......

Same here, Colt 1911 .45 ACP legal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess if I'm feeling threatened enough to use a handgun to protect myself, I'm not going to worry if having the handgun with me is legal or not, I'm just going to be very glad I have it. Obviously the person threatening me wasn't worried about breaking the law.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #17

The American and his gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy545 View Post
As of Jan 1 of last year people with gun licenses can carry handguns in all the Florida State parks..........Before that it was illegal..........

john
I love these gun topics,if what i'm going to post offends i'll appologise up front. I live in a suburb near Windsor Ontario Canada wich is directly across from DE-Troit Michigan and in my fifty years living here and interacting with Americans [i was a bouncer in a popular downtown Windsor bar for eight years and saw the worst example of American visitors]now don't get me wrong,i love the USA and have may american friends and southern US hospitalty is without a doubt the most underrated thing on the planet but your gunlust and paranoia never ceases to amaze me. I've been in the slums of Detroit at all hours and frankly never felt the need for any more protection than my dukes. as we all know the dirtbags and parasites in both our countries are exchanging pot for handguns wich are now finding their way into the hands of kids here and with the combination of today's media and music/drug culture things are getting out of hand and i thank god for our VERY strict handgun laws that keep this crap on a dull roar! In closing i would like to know if anyone out there has ever needed to use a gun to protect themselves RV'ing in the USA or Canada,i only met one guy who's rig was stolen at gunpoint in mexico,if some loser pointed a gun at me i'd tell to help himself and to make sure i never saw my rig again and call the good hands people and shop for a new rig!!

Just My Humble Opinion and Happy New Year!!!!

Red Green:
A friend will bail you out of jail, but a good
friend will be sitting beside you saying "Man,
that was fun!
Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkyJordan View Post
could you not take taster and if any problems with a bear tazer it
least you wont be killing it, just zapping
Nothing better than making a hungry bear angry.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #19

Kel-Tec .380 in my pocket, Glock .40 in the P.U., S&W 9mm in the front of the coach, S&W 357 in the night stand. What am I scared of ? NOTHING !
Old 12-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPI_Mallard View Post
I love these gun topics,if what i'm going to post offends i'll appologise up front. I live in a suburb near Windsor Ontario Canada wich is directly across from DE-Troit Michigan and in my fifty years living here and interacting with Americans [i was a bouncer in a popular downtown Windsor bar for eight years and saw the worst example of American visitors]now don't get me wrong,i love the USA and have may american friends and southern US hospitalty is without a doubt the most underrated thing on the planet but your gunlust and paranoia never ceases to amaze me. I've been in the slums of Detroit at all hours and frankly never felt the need for any more protection than my dukes. as we all know the dirtbags and parasites in both our countries are exchanging pot for handguns wich are now finding their way into the hands of kids here and with the combination of today's media and music/drug culture things are getting out of hand and i thank god for our VERY strict handgun laws that keep this crap on a dull roar! In closing i would like to know if anyone out there has ever needed to use a gun to protect themselves RV'ing in the USA or Canada,i only met one guy who's rig was stolen at gunpoint in mexico,if some loser pointed a gun at me i'd tell to help himself and to make sure i never saw my rig again and call the good hands people and shop for a new rig!!

Just My Humble Opinion and Happy New Year!!!!

Red Green:
A friend will bail you out of jail, but a good
friend will be sitting beside you saying "Man,
that was fun!
HOW do you keep a thread topic like this NON-political - and THEN get slapped around by the powers-that-be for related comments?

All I'll say to the above, is that bad guys, both in and out of government absolutely HATE private gun ownership - and both for the same reason, they don't want their victims capable of shooting back!

Remember Hitler?
Stalin?
Saddam Housein?

And just WHERE do those abused and attacked by those bad guys in foreign lands look for assistance in repelling their abusers and attackers? Why, the good ol' well armed USA, of course - the SAME USA that then gets criticised when the situation is corrected and there's no longer any need for forceful defense...
Old 12-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy545 View Post
As of Jan 1 of last year people with gun licenses can carry handguns in all the Florida State parks..........Before that it was illegal..........

john
I tent camped with my parents for all my young life. I tent camped and back-packed with my ex-wife and kids for 18 years and now I've tent camped and rv'd with this wife for 22 years and I have NEVER felt that I was going to be a victim and needed a weapon...
Oh excuse me, there was the time on the Pacific Crest trail in the North Cascades where,dummy that we all can be,I tried to get a pix of a mother bear with her cubs and I was so very lucky that she ran the other way...And then there was the time that the Marmot stole my camera case when I put it down the change the film.Little suckers can move,even with something like that in their mouth.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #22

I don't consider world politics and the fact that the US makes its resources available to any other country in need the issue of weather we collectivly need to be armed, i simply don't think that guns are a neccesary piece of equipment in an RV, I'll ask again has anyone else out there ever been accosted or threatened at gunpoint while RV'ing in the US or Canada???

P.S. i scared a couple of bears away by yelling at them once,never needed to shoot or taze em' just used some dirty words.

Red Green:
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word
meaning "I don't hunt so good."
Old 12-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #23
a k

Newmar Owners Club
It only takes ONE TIME. Remember. It's always happens to somebody else. I'm packen. Don't care what anybody else thinks.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
It only takes ONE TIME. Remember. It's always happens to somebody else. I'm packen. Don't care what anybody else thinks.

What about the person/child who catches a stray bullet shot through the fiberglass wall of a motor home while sleeping because the untrained-non-professional gun-slinger missed the jerk who's trying to steal the $100 grill?? Really what are the numbers,how many people have been accosted? Does it warrant the risks? What happens to the gun when its stolen? How many people have been victimised by their own weapon because there not trained crooks??

Makes me think.

Red Green:
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into
a quart of vodka.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #25

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPI_Mallard View Post
What about the person/child who catches a stray bullet shot through the fiberglass wall of a motor home while sleeping because the untrained-non-professional gun-slinger missed the jerk who's trying to steal the $100 grill?? Really what are the numbers,how many people have been accosted? Does it warrant the risks? What happens to the gun when its stolen? How many people have been victimised by their own weapon because there not trained crooks??

Makes me think.

Red Green:
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into
a quart of vodka.
It seems like you don't like the idea of personal firearms much.

Concealed weapons permits, at least in the state of Florida, require certification that you have received training on the proper use of firearms, either from a firearms instructor, or through proof of military service.

Yes, people have been accosted. Fifteen years ago, a British couple were killed at an interstate rest area in Florida by a bunch of local hoods. That is why to this day, there is armed security in every Florida rest area open after dusk, and that security stays there until dawn.

The rule in Florida states that deadly force can be used if in the mind of a reasonable person, they perceive a threat to their life or the lives of others around them. Shooting through the wall of a motor home to get the badun after your Weber grill is NOT the act of a reasonable person, and if he or she injured or killed another with their stray bullet, would be in a world of trouble.

What happens if the gun is stolen? The gun is stolen. Period. People victimized by their own weapon? Typically untrained. People victimized by the crook's weapon because government decided that an armed citizenry was a threat to good order? Ask those in Washington, D.C. and Chicago where handgun possession was banned for years until the Heller decision by the U.S. Supreme Court.

I shall not judge the Canadian mindset against handguns. A handgun is a tool, nothing more. ANY tool, improperly used, can be dangerous or lethal. You can kill a person with a knife, shall we ban knives?

As Benjamin Franklin stated, those who will give up liberty for additional safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

Just my humble opinion. An armed society is a POLITE society.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My approach in having a handgun is to use to for protection of me and my wife inside our home or RV. If they are stealing something out side, I am not going to start shooting. Just let them leave and let the LEOs take care of it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 12-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #27
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with TXiceman and his approach. With almost 30 years in the military, with an expert marksman badge, and shooting everything from 30 cal. carbines to 155 MM howitzers I feel I'm qualified to carry a .45 cal handgun in my coach for protection. I pray I never will be faced with taking down an intruder but a sheriff I worked for long ago subscribed to the philosophy that it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #28

AMEN Bob. I'm with you. Generally travel with a hand gun in the bedroom of the camper. We stop over quite often in Wally World and other similiar places where we might be the only ones there. Kind of nice to know you have some defense if some drugee or other low life tries to break in. I too hope that the day never comes that I need it, but if that day does come I'll be glad I had it.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
Closed Thread