Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
Our RV or autos never passes through or overnights in states or other areas where loaded firearms are illegal for us to have with us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
I could not agree more if its not in condition 1 it may as well be a bar of soap. [moderator edit]

Mody n Domy
full timing it
Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Had the local sheriff over the other day because of a theft off of our boat. Conversation turned to guns and he was interested in one of ours. When I gave it to him to look at I said "be careful, it's loaded" He responded "why wouldn't it be?"
Pat and Judy, Molly and Emma
2000 Monaco Dynasty-1999 Sebring Convertible
Winter S/W Florida....Summer Eastern Tennessee
Old 03-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #18
As you move about this great country how do you keep up with all the different regulations for conceal carry.
Not perfect as things can change rapidly, but Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States by J. Scott Kappas, Esq. is helpful. Handgunlaw.us is also helpful.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
There is an app for the iphone called legal heat. It keeps up with changes fairly well.
Shawn M.
2011 Fleetwood Expedition
2014 Chevy Traverse
Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Loaded and locked!! Always
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #21
Shotgun, chamber empty but mag full, nothing like the sound of a shot gun racking a round to get someones attention. When we carry handguns they are all loaded and one in the chamber. But when we travel through Canada, the shotgun is empyt, with the ammo stored someplace different and NO handguns. Their country and their rules apply!
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It depends on the weapon. I have a S&W Special, 5 shot. With that weapon I never have one under the firing pin. Why, because in those days and that model there is not a safety bar to prevent the hammer from engaging with the firing pin. Depending on conditions, any type of a hit to that hammer when it is in the rest position could detonate the round. The new models have the pin in place that will keep the hammer from contact with the round. If the hammer is pulled back, or the trigger pulled the pin gets out of the way to allow the weapon to fire. So, in that case - four rounds - none in the cylinder below the hammer.

As for my SD-40, it has a loaded clip installed but none in the chamber. I'm just safety conscious. Besides, I'm not walking around anticipating a gun fight at the RV coral. If something goes wrong where I'll need it, it is just a simple thing to pull-release and put one in the chamber. Then the round will follow the Crimson Trace. Face it, if you have time to duck the first round missed you, otherwise one in the chamber or not doesn't make much difference.

There is nothing in my wallet that can't be replaced. However, when it comes to personal safety and family safety that is a different story.

I travel in the military system of FAM Camps and the vast majority of military installations (Federal Property) do not allow for the access of firearms. Many times there is a big sign that says, "....subject up to $10,000 in fines, imprisonment, or both...." Is carrying really worth it when traveling.

I must not visit high crime areas. In all my years I have never, never had to take my weapon out of its holster. I have never been in an RV park wishing I had a weapon.

Carrying one does give a person peace of mind - but why? Could I point and shoot at a person? You bet your life I can.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #23
Freightliner Owners Club
Mody n Domy: It is difficult:
The Federal Firearms Law allows travelers to transport (not conceal carry) between States but States and some cities, interpret the "passing through" portion of that law differently. If you stay overnight or deviate from a direct route through the state you may be violating their "possession" law and subject to arrest. The Federal Transporting Law then becomes a possible defense when you go to court.
Most Northeast States are restrictive and it is nearly impossible to comply with any degree of confidence. The NRA site also lists some city regulations. New York city has very tough laws but so does Buffalo.

It's been discussed before but possession of hollow point ammunition is a violation in New Jersey. As a resident, you can buy it and keep it on your property there- but transporting is strictly controlled. From out of state you are vulnerable, particularly if it is loaded or in a magazine...
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #24
[moderator edit]

Full magazine. None in the chamber. None under the hammer for the revolvers. I agree with Wayne on this.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
One might make it through life and never encounter any kind of a " life threatening" problem, RV'ing, hiking, traveling (of any kind) sitting in your lazyboy in your living room, in bed sleeping, etc.............. when and if trouble ever finds you, you will not have time or be able to think fast enough if one is not prepared to the fullest extent possible,no loading ,no racking, no saying "hold on a minute"...... and don't ask me how I know this.
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
Old 03-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
Thanks Chillybilly.....great official information everyone should read.
Clark and Jo
2009 Camelot
2010 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 03-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with wayne on not having one in the chamber the sound of the slide going back and forth scares the crap out of most people. Bin There Dun That.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
One might make it through life and never encounter any kind of a " life threatening" problem, RV'ing, hiking, traveling (of any kind) sitting in your lazyboy in your living room, in bed sleeping, etc.............. when and if trouble ever finds you, you will not have time or be able to think fast enough if one is not prepared to the fullest extent possible,no loading ,no racking, no saying "hold on a minute"...... and don't ask me how I know this.
Palehorse, you hit the target dead on. Unless you practice and are able to quickly react to a situation, you may be over powered and lose control of the weapon. Some gun rights advocates are former gun control advocates who were caught in a dangerous situation and were lucky to survive.

I was concerned about leaving my weapons unsecured when away from my 5ver. So I searched for a small gun safe to install in the trailer. I couldn't find one that fit or I thought was suitable. So I custom ordered one, expensive, and had it shipped to the RV manufacturer and had it installed in the closet while they were building my 5th-wheel. Leaving a weapon unsecure in a trailer is only arming a crook.

Also, it gives us a nice place to store valuables.

Sorry for the picture being on its side. Don't know how to rotate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1063.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	35380  

Carl, Janis, and Zoey (Boston Terrier)
2013 Excel L36GKE
2012 Ford F450 w/Highwayman RV Hauler
Closed Thread