Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #57

[COLOR=#333333]My gun is like my fire extinguisher. It's useless in an emergency if it is empty.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #58
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Regarding the number of rounds in a magazine, the magazine has little holes numbered 1 through 10, or 12, or 15. In the example of a .40, 10 round mag there are 10 holes. For a 12 round there are 12 holes, but you can take the spring out of the 12 round, put it in the 10 round and carry 12 rounds with only 10 little holes.

I'm just posting this for the mechanics of it, not to circumvent any laws.

I'm still standing by my conviction of not have a round chambered until you are ready to fire the weapon. All gun safety that I have ever attended was geared to that aspect. I also spent 20+ a few years in the military. All guard duty, whether with rifle or pistol, was with NOT having a round in the chamber.

It is a natural occurrence to place the trigger finger in the trigger housing when drawing out a weapon. With the modern day safety of grip safety and trigger safety it is easy to accidentally pull the trigger. The grip is squeezed releasing the grip safety, and the trigger pull releases the trigger safety. Both need to be released before the weapon can fire. (That is only for that type of weapon and yes there are other weapons that operate in a totally different way so one has to way all the safety aspects and do what is correct.)

It is what it is!

Happy trails.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #59

Always in the holster (until needed, never so far), always with a round chambered, always with the safety off. Just ask the next 10 police officers or deputies you run across the status of their weapons.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #60
doc

Appalachian Campers
[QUOTE=Wayne M
[COLOR=darkorange]I'm still standing by my conviction of not have a round chambered until you are ready to fire the weapon.[/COLOR] All gun safety that I have ever attended was geared to that aspect. I also spent 20+ a few years in the military. All guard duty, whether with rifle or pistol, was with NOT having a round in the chamber.
QUOTE]

On the other hand, we who were/are in civilian law enforcement always carried/carry one in the chamber because some crazy intent on hurting you won't give you time to rack the slide and chamber a round. I was there 27 years. We did not carry a single action which made a big difference safety wise and this might have a bearing on your feelings. "cocked and locked" was not something we subscribed to.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #61
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=doc;1506920]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
[COLOR=darkorange
I'm still standing by my conviction of not have a round chambered until you are ready to fire the weapon.[/COLOR] All gun safety that I have ever attended was geared to that aspect. I also spent 20+ a few years in the military. All guard duty, whether with rifle or pistol, was with NOT having a round in the chamber.
QUOTE]

On the other hand, we who were/are in civilian law enforcement always carried/carry one in the chamber because some crazy intent on hurting you won't give you time to rack the slide and chamber a round. I was there 27 years. We did not carry a single action which made a big difference safety wise and this might have a bearing on your feelings. "cocked and locked" was not something we subscribed to.
Doc,
No dispute from me with the LEO's, but read my part that says:

" (That is only for that type of weapon and yes there are other weapons that operate in a totally different way so one has to way all the safety aspects and do what is correct.)"

I personally liked the .45 with the lever lock.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Shotgun, chamber empty but mag full, nothing like the sound of a shot gun racking a round to get someones attention. When we carry handguns they are all loaded and one in the chamber. But when we travel through Canada, the shotgun is empyt, with the ammo stored someplace different and NO handguns. Their country and their rules apply!
So what do you do with your hand guns if you are going to Canada ??
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #63
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1985 View Post
So what do you do with your hand guns if you are going to Canada ??
That's being discussed here.
Guns in Motorhome traveling to Canada

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #64

I agree with the Mossberg with the 18 1/2 barrel best defensive weapon to carry in mh. I carry mine loaded to the hilt. No plug in the mag.
One time I pulled into a rest area in Indiana,during the night I heard three people planing to break in my mh. I slipped into the drivers seat and just drove away. I don't think they would have stepped in the way of my 31 ft class C.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldkarphart View Post
An empty gun is only effective in old western movies.....when you throw it at the bad guy!!
One in the tube, safety off, always, I like the idea of the gun safe in the RV.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #66

when going in to CA. have the gun in a locked box and the ammo in another locked box and in the rvs far back area. or you can go to jail CA. don't care if you have a ccp or not unless its from CA. but you can carry it in your camper in a camp ground. and go to handgunlaws.us for more info. but if we are not in CA they are loaded with one in the chamber and one on each of us. we rather be safe then sorry like I was once but never again!

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by breed View Post
when going in to CA. have the gun in a locked box and the ammo in another locked box and in the rvs far back area. or you can go to jail CA. don't care if you have a ccp or not unless its from CA. but you can carry it in your camper in a camp ground. and go to handgunlaws.us for more info. but if we are not in CA they are loaded with one in the chamber and one on each of us. we rather be safe then sorry like I was once but never again!
Ammo doesn't need to be locked. You can keep a loaded magazine on your dash if you wanted.

Just keep the handgun in a soft case with a zipper lock. Doesn't need to be in the very back.

I have a CA CCW so mine stays on my hip