Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

GVWR Questions

please tell me if my thinking is correct.

The tag says 11,000 GVRW. so I had the motor home weight done today and it came back at 10680 that's full on fuel and empty on fresh water and both holding tanks. if I am correct then once the wife,daughter and myself are in there we are at 11,300 add fresh water clothes and food for a weekend and we are probally now at 12,000 lbs. now I like to tow a enclose trailer with weekend toys that is about 1800 lbs so now I am at 12,300 if you just use tongue weight or at 13800 lbs if you include total weight.

I would guess this motorhome would have been around 10,000 from the factory. Why would they only leave 1000 lbs for people and gear on a motorhome?

should I try not to tow anything with it? or just not worry about it?

If my thinking is wrong please tell me what I am missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gvwr.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	44883  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

You may be able to tow with it but you will need to find the GCVW rating. That will be the total weight this chassis can be when towing as long as you are not over GVWR.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

You're gonna be over the GVWR, unless you can find where the MH manufacturer put a different GVWR. I would contact them about this, Ford probably won't help much.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neracoal View Post
I would guess this motorhome would have been around 10,000 from the factory. Why would they only leave 1000 lbs for people and gear on a motorhome?

should I try not to tow anything with it? or just not worry about it?

If my thinking is wrong please tell me what I am missing.
Some times they leave even less. I looked at a Class A, that was fully loaded, every option available , before I bought my current unit , and it had a posted Cargo Carrying Capacity . of 518lbs.
By the time my DW carried her purse on board we would have been over loaded. No food, no clothes , no water. Just the 2 of us.
Yes you will be traveling over you registered GVWR.
Your trailer's hitch weight adds into the coach's axle weight and puts you further over.
If the trailer , has no brakes , then JMHO , your in real trouble.
Unfortunately , you are not alone , lots of overloaded coaches out there ,
it is not illegal to build a coach with no CCC. But it should be.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually I see a label from the motor home manufacturer listing the weight ratings not the incomplete vehicle manufacturer (Ford in this case). The motor home label takes into account the weight added by installing the motor home body and contents. I think you need to find that label and post it. There should be a label somewhere in the motor home that lists either the OCCC (newer) or the CCC (older). With that label you can see how much additional weight you can carry. EDIT: I just saw the model year of your unit. The labels I mentioned above may not be available on units that far back. I don't know when they started using them.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #6

Neracole,
Well Sir, you're not alone in this type of situation. Do you remember the Toyota mini motorhomes put out several years ago? Well, those were over the GVWR BEFORE, they rolled off the factory floor. Imagine that. Now, other than your Vin plate saying it's a "Ford" you don't say what year, model, length, engine, trans etc.
So, based on that GVWR, I'd say it's a fairly small coach, class C and maybe the V-8 instead of the V-10. That would be my guess anyway.

Now, running over weight is, well, up the individual. I'm not going to advocate it, I'm just saying I've done it, for several thousand miles, around 3,000 lbs. on the rear axle alone and, no one died, no major freeways collapsed, the earth did not reverse rotation, the sun didn't die, (did it, I must have missed that one) .

It sounds like you've done your homework here. Yes, the smaller the coach, many times the tighter the distance between what the coach weighs, including fully loaded with water, fuel, people, toys, equipment, items of need, etc. and, what the GVWR is. Some, give it more leeway. But, yours, sounds like it was real close, right from the factory door.

Getting it weighed was/is a smart thing to do. So many folks just estimate all of the numbers or, go by what the "Dinghy Towing Guide" or, the mfgr. says etc. But, the real smart move is to get it actually weighed so that you know for sure, what you're starting points are. And, since your most likely GOING to be over weight, with all your people, toys, equipment, you'll have a better idea of just how much.

Now, is it right to do so? Well, legally, it's not. Morally, that's up to you. Can the motorhome, brakes, engine, trans, frame, suspension, all deal with it, most likely just fine. But, it's not mine so, you'll have to make the decision. I've done it way more times than I care to admit. But, that's me. I don't recommend it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #7

Does the coach maker ever change suspension to up the gross weight? Hard to believe this chassis came with airbags like I have now. I have looked everywhere for another label. I can only find the one from ford.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Does the coach maker ever change suspension to up the gross weight? Hard to believe this chassis came with airbags like I have now. I have looked everywhere for another label. I can only find the one from ford.
it is my understanding that the chassis manufacturer (Ford in this case) determines the GVWR and GCVW. This is determined by axles, tires, transmission, engine, suspension. The coach company cannot change the numbers to a higher number to meet their needs.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #9

Sounds to me like I should just go with it. I was hoping to tow a 2002 grand Cherokee but that might be a bit much. I see alot of class c's the size of mine towing one though.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Sounds to me like I should just go with it. I was hoping to tow a 2002 grand Cherokee but that might be a bit much. I see alot of class c's the size of mine towing one though.
Go to a drag race some time. I could not believe all the class C's towing car haulers bigger than the coach. It was easy to tell they were grossly over loaded. It works but as others will say, how safe and at what cost?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The coach company cannot change the numbers to a higher number to meet their needs.
Not so. The final numbers are always established by the final manufacturer and issued with the final paperwork (the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin). The final assembler may well alter the chassis or add to it in ways that change the GVWR, GCWR and of course the UVW is substantially different. A common change would be the addition of a tag axle or providing air bag assist for the suspension.

Of course, the final manufacturer has to assume full liability for any rating upgrades he does, whether real or just on paper.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Not so. The final numbers are always established by the final manufacturer and issued with the final paperwork (the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin). The final assembler may well alter the chassis or add to it in ways that change the GVWR, GCWR and of course the UVW is substantially different. A common change would be the addition of a tag axle or providing air bag assist for the suspension.

Of course, the final manufacturer has to assume full liability for any rating upgrades he does, whether real or just on paper.
But what if the engine or transmission is not up to the task of the extra weight? Even if they add a tag axle to allow for more GVWR, doesn't GCVW always remain the same due to drivetrain limitations?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:
As stated previously, the trailer is not part of the GVWR, but is part of the GCWR (V for vehicle, C for combined). So although your vehicle is at or slightly over the GVWR, you are not making it worse with the trailer. GCVR does have some assumptions about trailer brakes I am sure, and being you are at vehicle limit, it is in your interest to have trailer brakes.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
As stated previously, the trailer is not part of the GVWR, but is part of the GCWR (V for vehicle, C for combined). So although your vehicle is at or slightly over the GVWR, you are not making it worse with the trailer. GCVR does have some assumptions about trailer brakes I am sure, and being you are at vehicle limit, it is in your interest to have trailer brakes.

Love the avatar. Pretty cool.