Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

Hair cut on the road

How do you guys (or ladies) judge a suitable barber shop? We all know to avoid airport haircuts but what about when you're out a while and start to get shaggy. What are the signs you look for to indicate a real barber shop?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #2

I'm sorry, can only think of the old brain teaser about the only two barbers in town, one with a bad haircut the other with a fabulous haircut. Go to the one with the bad haircut. The other barber cut his hair. DW cuts mine, she always does a good job and a good price.
KC
Clonetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
My LW cuts my hair. Many times on a concrete picnic bench at our camp.
Under those circumstances there is no such thing as a bad haircut, just "it'll be perfect after you shower tomorrow......or in a couple days".
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I never worry about it because it will all grow back. I gave up chasing the women a long time ago, and they don't give me a second look anymore. As for the DW, well, I shave my mustache off one day after 20+ years of having it, and it took her four days to notice it. I also grew a beard when working at JSC. I mentioned that I was only going to shave half of it off one day. I got dared to do it for a lunch if I did. I shaved half (one side of my face) off. Over 75 percent of the people I ran into at work did not even notice it until I, or someone else, pointed it out. We see what we intend to see.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oster clipper and a 1/4" attachment....................takes about 5 min!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
No hair, no problem. I did all the haircut thing for years, had to keep the hair short in the military, and had to wear a suit when working afterward. Most of the hair fell out, so I give myself a short haircut once a week. I also give myself 12$ for the haircut. Having a hard time doing the tip.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My husband says that he sleeps with his barber. :-) However having said that I did send him out to get a haircut while we were in Myrtle Beach one time and it was an awful haircut ($6 special) that I had to straighten up. You might try asking at the campground store or if you meet some locals at or nearby where you are staying that look like they have a great cut. I don't think that there is any way to tell that sort of thing by the looks of the place. You have to get a personal recommendation. Otherwise you are taking the risk. Also don't always trust the chains. I have seen good cuts and bad come out while I have been there. The last time I went, a guy walked out with a big ring around the back of his head and my son tried the same place and had blotches on the sides where they did a lousy job of blending to get the hair even. I don't have a license and I can do better than that.
Eagles Ne5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #8

I mostly get my hair cut at Wal-Mart or one of the hair places in the local mall like Trade Secret, Regis or similar. I have only gotten one bad cut in the last 10 years on the road. If I get a bad one, it won't take long before I get another. Only one has been so bad that I had to have someone fix it. In all cases, it just grew back.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:25 AM   #9

My best friend [DW] cuts my, but I'm not allowed to cut hers. While we were in an RV site in Florida there were ladies that did hair that stayed there for the winter. Did a great job and had a give away price. They were so nice. So we think in every camp site some one will assist you in just about anything. If not try a different RV park and meet nice people.
bigd42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
paz

DW cuts my hair - Wahl and Oster clippers are available at Walmart.

DW will usually ask in the campground office for a recommendation, especially if someone has a style similar to hers. Most of the time her haircut is fine, once in a while - not so much.

We're not that fussy. We don't go to fancy places, and we don't even have to go to work every day.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MickBrennan,
My hair cuts are very simple (straight 1957). I find (Yellow Pages) one of the large chains (A Cut Above, Super Cuts, etc. using a #4 guard). They always seem to get it right.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Here is the best advice for getting Haircuts on the road.

Dick
Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
The biggest problem I find in trying to get a good haircut is someone who can trim around the ears and the back of the neck. Some just can't seem to get the back squared. If I start looking like the shaggy dog I'll look for a place that's really busy, with local lic plates, take a seat and watch the backs of the necks of those leaving. I always check the back of my neck before I pay and tip. Picky? you bet. I'm trying to talk my local barber into wintering in Yuma. LOL
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #14

Like others, My DW cuts my hair. She has had 30 years of practice , so it looks prety good. I wouldn't think about going to a barber or stylist.